Sponsored by:

Anyone running a rider backrest from amazon

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Anyone running a rider backrest from amazon

Just checking to see if anyone is using some of the off brand backrests from amazon. there is a dramatic price difference from the ones I am seeing on amazon compared to the Harley Davidson brand back rest. Wanted opinions on the quality of it if anyone is using one.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:48 PM
NoLimitz
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a backrest, but just got an amazon stealth luggage rack. Cant see why anybody would pay more rhen needed. Its great

Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

I have an ebay backrest/luggage rack that came with the docking hardware. Works great and the seat angle is adjustable. There was a pretty big thread on this, let me see if I can find it...

Old 01-13-2017, 12:57 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

here you go, lots of great info in this thread. 1 thing I hate about owning an M8 is I have to go to "Touring", "Rushmore", and "M8" to get all the info on my bike

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-on-ebay.html

Old 01-13-2017, 01:32 PM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
Just checking to see if anyone is using some of the off brand backrests from amazon. there is a dramatic price difference from the ones I am seeing on amazon compared to the Harley Davidson brand back rest. Wanted opinions on the quality of it if anyone is using one.
I bought one. The latching mechanism wouldn't work at all. They gave me a partial refund and i got Harley latches. I also had to file the plastic inserts that slip over the shock mount to get it to fit. Then went to my hardware store, and replaced the cheap nuts and bolts.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

For what its worth..I put the HD detachable one on my 17RK.. Pricey for sure.. but with a little tweaking it fit and is rock solid and good chrome. Is it worth $500.00 ( extra wide back rest pad and studded), no.. If I spent $300 and had to listen to my wife bit*h about the feel or how secure it doesn't feel, the $200 wouldn't cover the cost of Tylenol.

The following 4 users liked this post by stixvrad:
crazytown (01-24-2017), Doug1T (07-01-2020), grande78 (01-17-2017), rybarra (11-03-2023)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't do Amazon much. But I did purchase a HogWorkz passenger back rest system. It didn't work out. The pad was very cheap feeling, The chrome was cheap on the sissy bar. The docking hardware looked great and fit the bike but was to narrow. So the sissy bar would not attach at all. I was going to keep it seeing it would only be on the bike when the wife was with me. But it just would not fit. I have a RMA to send it back. Went ahead and ordered one from my Harley dealer. Once again I tried to buy it from the Tulsa dealers. List, plus, plus. It was only $9.00 more than the HogWorkz plus tax and free shipping.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,308 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I have the 89/99 dollar backrest, need to look it up when I get home as to brand name. No adjustment with it but it serves my needs. Plus I don't have much of a loss if it walks off

Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
here you go, lots of great info in this thread. 1 thing I hate about owning an M8 is I have to go to "Touring", "Rushmore", and "M8" to get all the info on my bike

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-on-ebay.html
I just one of those adjustable backrests/luggage racks from ebay. It looks great. I had to file down the plastic locking hardware lever piece a bit to get it lock in place though. it wouldn't fit over the mount enough to lock. other than that it's great.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I would never pay $500 for these types of things. I usually get most of my stuff from Amazon or ebay, and rarely from HD. I recently purchased my rider back rest kit $92.00 off ebay. Free shipping, easy installation and good quality parts. Came with everything I needed to mount and ride. couldn't be happier.

note: I did have to take it apart so I could tweak it a bit to get the back pad to sit more upright. (simply by relocating one of the rubber washers higher up the bracket)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-In-Driv...RXyBXG&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Drodrigueznyc; 01-24-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a rider backrest from amazon