Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I want to see an update that allows you to integrate a BT headset with the infotainment system. I really need to spend some time playing with the settings b/c right now it seems like a huge PITA to use a Sena with your phone if it's plugged into the USB port. I guess I could charge the phone through my charging port in the trunk.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:46 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

For those who have done the update, have you noticed any improvement or issues?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:54 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Only have about 30 miles on update. But no issues so far

Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM
MarkBorg
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No issues with the update.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I want to see an update that allows you to integrate a BT headset with the infotainment system. I really need to spend some time playing with the settings b/c right now it seems like a huge PITA to use a Sena with your phone if it's plugged into the USB port. I guess I could charge the phone through my charging port in the trunk.
There is!! It's called a freewire Bluetooth adapter, made also be Sena. You want full Bluetooth integration on your 30k bike, this is how to get it. If you are waiting for HD to put it out, forget it, I doubt you will ever see that. I just finished running the wiring on my Street-glide for this unit.

I've thought about this quite a bit, and I truely believe, HD has their bluetooth crippled from factory (so does Honda Goldwing), because they don't want the liability of you getting in a crash and sueing them, while you were talking to Lovey on the phone. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
There is!! It's called a freewire Bluetooth adapter, made also be Sena. You want full Bluetooth integration on your 30k bike, this is how to get it. If you are waiting for HD to put it out, forget it, I doubt you will ever see that. I just finished running the wiring on my Street-glide for this unit.

I've thought about this quite a bit, and I truely believe, HD has their bluetooth crippled from factory (so does Honda Goldwing), because they don't want the liability of you getting in a crash and sueing them, while you were talking to Lovey on the phone. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
Please put this thing to the test and report back. I am very interested if there truly is a solution for a non-tethered communication option.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I second the Sena Freewire setup.. it works exactly as promised. You do need to set it up properly. first, you need to get the HD comm kit that plugs into the rear of your boom audio system. This is the cable that connects to your wired headset but don't install it on your dash or gas tank. Instead route the cable to your usb/iphone/ipod connector storage pod. Keep the extra slack zip tied inside the fairing area. The Sena Frewire kit comes with a Harley 7 pin din connector cable that plugs into that same Harley comm cable port. I also shoved the slack of the freewire cable into the fairing area. In the storage pod I now just have the ipod/usb connector and the Sena Freewire module. (I had to cut some of the iphone foam to make room) This way there are no wires exposed and everything is hidden.

Then it's just a matter of turning on the Seen freewire unit, pairing it with your Sena 10S headset and you're done. You do not pair the Sena headset to your iphone. Your Iphone pairs to the Boom audio or connects to the usb port but not the freewire.

With this setup, and using your sena bluetooth headset, sold separately, you can now listen wirelessly to anything that comes out of the boom audio system. ie radio, ipod/iphone music if paired or connected to usb, and gps navigations. I can also answer and make phone calls. expensive setup to get everything required but it works. Got the idea from lawabidingbiker.com (make sure to see their youtube video)

btw, i'm going to update the boom audio this week to 1.20.3.. let you know if anything breaks. (fingers crossed..)

Last edited by Drodrigueznyc; 01-22-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:08 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred

Please let us know how this works. I know the guys at the dealer agree with you. They have had an order in to get this unit stocked. They seem really stoked to check it out.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
Please put this thing to the test and report back. I am very interested if there truly is a solution for a non-tethered communication option.

Thanks,
Brad
Ryan Ulracher AKA Law Abiding Biker has several vids on the Freewire and promotes it. It plugs into the 7 pin port on the Ultra spec'd bikes and higher. If you don't have that, then I believe you must buy and install a 7 pin adapter. Not the best solution (aka HD adding a firmware update to support full wireless) but it's a good option to mostly integrate with the Boom system.

I don't have one but have spent some time reading up on it and I may have missed a detail or two so I'd check it out!

Old 01-22-2017, 07:03 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
Ryan Ulracher AKA Law Abiding Biker has several vids on the Freewire and promotes it. It plugs into the 7 pin port on the Ultra spec'd bikes and higher. If you don't have that, then I believe you must buy and install a 7 pin adapter. Not the best solution (aka HD adding a firmware update to support full wireless) but it's a good option to mostly integrate with the Boom system.

I don't have one but have spent some time reading up on it and I may have missed a detail or two so I'd check it out!
Law Abiding Biker does a great job. I noticed that voice commands back to the Boom system does not work with this solution. For some that is no big deal or they use Siri, but for me that makes it a no go. I use that function that he says only works with the wire. Let us know.

Quick Reply: 1.20.3