Sponsored by:

New engine new problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Tool Engineer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine new problems

Proud owner of a M8 and love it, been riding H-D's for over 40 years and have owned many different types of Harleys from Sprints to now M8. It is a great MC and the motor co finally listened to what the riding public had to say! However as with any "new" product issues do happen, I have had it back to the dealer 4 times for oil leak located in the front portion of the bike. Oil port feeding the cooler, clamps , a hose was replaced, this isnt 1966 they aren't suppose to leak this day in time. I ride roughly 12,000 miles a year and so far ( the bike only has 1400 miles on it ) I like it the ride is the best EVER IT HAS GREAT POWER AND HANDLING I live in North Carolina so there are some fantastic places to ride to. I have also heard a "ping" under acceleration back to the dealer, i was told they couldn't hear it, sounds like a spark knock to me but I was told it COULD NOT spark knock due to knock sensors ect associated with the fuel management systems? ?? Who knows I ride it new bike new problems glad it is on record with Harley-davidson just in case it is detonation, has anyone else heard a pinging under acceleration from around 2500 RPM?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Engineer
Proud owner of a M8 and love it, been riding H-D's for over 40 years and have owned many different types of Harleys from Sprints to now M8. It is a great MC and the motor co finally listened to what the riding public had to say! However as with any "new" product issues do happen, I have had it back to the dealer 4 times for oil leak located in the front portion of the bike. Oil port feeding the cooler, clamps , a hose was replaced, this isnt 1966 they aren't suppose to leak this day in time. I ride roughly 12,000 miles a year and so far ( the bike only has 1400 miles on it ) I like it the ride is the best EVER IT HAS GREAT POWER AND HANDLING I live in North Carolina so there are some fantastic places to ride to. I have also heard a "ping" under acceleration back to the dealer, i was told they couldn't hear it, sounds like a spark knock to me but I was told it COULD NOT spark knock due to knock sensors ect associated with the fuel management systems? ?? Who knows I ride it new bike new problems glad it is on record with Harley-davidson just in case it is detonation, has anyone else heard a pinging under acceleration from around 2500 RPM?
I am at 1900 miles, have never noticed any pinging. Lucky for me I have had zero issues thus far.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Any thing will ping if you nail it hard at 2500 in too high a gear. The electronics will catch up instantly but the 4 cycle engine cycling thru takes just as long as they did 100 years ago.
What it should not do is with good fuel and proper gear, ping contentiously like going up a hill.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

no pinging on mine.. btw congrats on your new bike! sorry to hear you are having an awful first impressions with the new bike. From what I have seen and heard the oil leak is a known issue caused by the type of hose clamp HD used during assembly. HD used a spring loaded clamp instead of the traditional screw type hose clamp. Apparently they come loose or are not positioned properly. The easy fix is to swap it out for a screw on type. My local HD shop is doing that to all of their customers during service. I have not had any issues with mine nor have I swapped mine out but I intend to do so when I bring it in for its oil change come spring. Just something to consider.

Overall the bike is great and a huge improvement in so many ways. I know you'll love it. ride safe.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Rokinrider
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

I've heard a very faint knock/ping doing a sixth gear roll on, if I was to guess it's the back cylinder? 17 Roadglide, I'm getting a tuner and doing stage 1 on it very soon.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Engineer
I am also in NC. I havent been riding too much due to the weather. Im a 20k+ rider.

As I go through the gears .. I do hear something that sounds like a ping right when the tack hits 3 at the higher gears .. I also smell oil .. bikes going back this week.

The following users liked this post:
Puddle63 (10-02-2019)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:58 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Just remember that outside air temp, engine temp, and fuel can be an issue for the ping.

Ive heard many people say if you fill up at the Quicky Mart with a single hose for three fuels, you need to pump up to two gallons before you get the octane you choose.

Also like mentioned above, being in the proper gear for roll on etc does come into play.

Here in Florida, one of my KIA's will ping if I don't run 93 octane during the summer months. But during the winter 87 runs just fine.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM
RoadGlider2
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Knock

I have a 2017 Road Glide Special and it has a spark knock under hard acceleration. My buddy has a 2017 Road King and his doesn't do it. I can eliminate the fuel as a potential source, because we fueled up at the same stations, same gas. It's at the dealer right now. They test drove it and confirmed it was spark knock. I'm hoping it's a faulty spark knock sensor or something simple. All I run in it is Shell or Sunoco 93 octane. I'll post here if they figure out what's causing it.

The following users liked this post:
Tool Engineer (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM
falconpilot12
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't noticed any noises under hard acceleration, but I have noticed an inconsistent sound in the primary area, when idling that sounds like a marble or steel ball jumping around. It's not bad or loud or regular or constant. Barely noticeable if you are not listening. Service writer at dealer says "oh yea, I can hear it" and goes and gets one of the main mechs. He says it's the primary chain tensioner and not to worry about it. Don't hear it above an idle. I have had several Harleys over the years and know that Harleys each have unique noises and understand that. This one is different. Thoughts anyone?

2017 RG Ultra 1200 miles.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by falconpilot12
Haven't noticed any noises under hard acceleration, but I have noticed an inconsistent sound in the primary area, when idling that sounds like a marble or steel ball jumping around. It's not bad or loud or regular or constant. Barely noticeable if you are not listening. Service writer at dealer says "oh yea, I can hear it" and goes and gets one of the main mechs. He says it's the primary chain tensioner and not to worry about it. Don't hear it above an idle. I have had several Harleys over the years and know that Harleys each have unique noises and understand that. This one is different. Thoughts anyone?

2017 RG Ultra 1200 miles.
Of course, I am not hearing your sound but my guess is where the mechanic is coming from. The reason the primary sounds unusual is the uneven firing order. If it was exactly opposed and ever 360 rather than 315°/360°, the primary chain would not be getting that extra shorter ****** twitching the compensator different. That uneven sound has enabled the Tin men to make a fortune on selling compensators.

Quick Reply: New engine new problems