Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8, Harley, EPA, Euro Trash

Old 01-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Just my opinion. But this is the post of the year so far. I am getting too old to waste time overthinking stuff. Or to even care. The rest of you folks can enjoy the excellent info provided by the OP.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
You clearly do not understand NOX and petro combustion. Nox is the enemy epa wise of uber eff. combustion. I could take my Civic Hybrid up until the last flash update and drive it right just out of hypermiler speeds and get 80 mpg all day long out of it with the help of a Atkins Cycle and all sorts of mechanical and control tricks of which Harley hasn't a clue about much less specing a timing chain right. Or basic 1990's cam control. So what does that leave them with? Your st control which is a no brainier and basic ignition control at a pre WWII level. I own a vintage modern motorcycle powered by a advanced lawn mower engine..... lololololo

What Harley is doing is putting a ton of egg into there cats. Cats are amazing devices! But they can be over done. And over done is what MoCo has done.

My testing looks at the tail pipe emissions, exhaust temps where ever I place a sensor. Along with the intake temps, volumes and velocity. And diff across the filter media. with a look into the manifold velocity's and fuel metering bandwidth. Harley is getting there numbers from bad cat design ment to kiss the epa's ***.

Harleys Cat design is what Yamaha should have used in my Yamaha RZ350 OEM pipe design. The USA spec RZ350 2 stroke had cats built into the pipes. Only USA 2 stroke to ever have such BS in the world. All to make the cali dick suckers happy.

Actually it more like I don't understand what you are saying and you don't understand what I'm saying.. Yes Nox is one of the evil things the environmentalists don't you motor vehicle spewing.

Also it's called the Atkinson Cycle.

http://www.animatedengines.com/atkinson.html

The turbo charged toyota Atkinson Cycle version is simply variable cam timing as I understand it but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Prius version and I would assume the Civic Hybrid use custom valve timing which results in a motor with a very narrow power band.. I'm sure HD owners would love that. Remember all hybrids IC motors need to do is drive a generator.

So does the Atkinson cycle motor eliminate the requirement for a catalytic converter?

How easy is Atkinson Cycle to implement on a motorcycle? Variable cam timing and turbo? Special cam timing and narrow power band?

You sounds like you understand emissions.. How did HD over do the cat? They needed to put it somewhere and at a reasonable cost.

How about some suggestions as to implementation?

Old 01-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
News flash the 107 M8 runs just fine. Invent all the problems you want .Won't change fact. But of course everyone knows more than those that designed it.
Building tuning changing is part of owning a Harley but not necessary.
I agree.. The M8 is the best I've see out of HD so far as to make reasonable power and still meet emissions / be quiet. I still like the looks, tho the valve covers look a little big.. (Black PC will take care of that)..

The following users liked this post:
TexasHarley (01-24-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

After a 60 degree day in Ohio and Pa and getting in some much needed wind therapy I come home enjoy a few bourbons and read this and I'm lost lol. All I know is my M8 ran great today lol

Old 01-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, what is your conclusion?

Harley is lying to the EPA by running too lean for mpg at the expense of emissions?

Harley is knowingly running too lean, stressing the cat, and planned obsolescence of the cat, needing replacement down the road?

Will a "broken" cat throw an error code?

How much power is picked up by running richer on the dyno, and what about stock? Several have reported really good mpg stock, but if it was richer, it would make more power, but would it get better mileage because it's making more power per revolution, offsetting the extra fuel delivered?

Could Harley have a dyno cheat program like VW did?

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Actually it more like I don't understand what you are saying and you don't understand what I'm saying.. Yes Nox is one of the evil things the environmentalists don't you motor vehicle spewing.

Also it's called the Atkinson Cycle.

http://www.animatedengines.com/atkinson.html

The turbo charged toyota Atkinson Cycle version is simply variable cam timing as I understand it but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Prius version and I would assume the Civic Hybrid use custom valve timing which results in a motor with a very narrow power band.. I'm sure HD owners would love that. Remember all hybrids IC motors need to do is drive a generator.

So does the Atkinson cycle motor eliminate the requirement for a catalytic converter?

How easy is Atkinson Cycle to implement on a motorcycle? Variable cam timing and turbo? Special cam timing and narrow power band?

You sounds like you understand emissions.. How did HD over do the cat? They needed to put it somewhere and at a reasonable cost.

How about some suggestions as to implementation?
Some corrections: Most hybrids use the ICE to directly power the drive wheels. A FEW hybrids use the ICE only as a power generator like the Chevy Volt.

The Atkinson Cycle is where the intake valve remains open a bit for compression cycle, making the engine more fuel efficient at the expense of power,

"The effective compression ratio is reduced (for the time the air is escaping the cylinder freely rather than being compressed), but the expansion ratio is unchanged. This means the compression ratio is smaller than the expansion ratio. Heat gained from burning fuel increases the pressure, thereby forcing the piston to move, expanding the air volume beyond the volume when compression began. The goal of the modern Atkinson cycle is to allow the pressure in the combustion chamber at the end of the power stroke to be equal to atmospheric pressure; when this occurs, all the available energy has been obtained from the combustion process. For any given portion of air, the greater expansion ratio allows more energy to be converted from heat to useful mechanical energy, meaning the engine is more efficient."

It does NOT mean the cat can be done away with.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

Some corrections: Most hybrids use the ICE to directly power the drive wheels. A FEW hybrids use the ICE only as a power generator like the Chevy Volt.

The Atkinson Cycle is where the intake valve remains open a bit for compression cycle, making the engine more fuel efficient at the expense of power,

"The effective compression ratio is reduced (for the time the air is escaping the cylinder freely rather than being compressed), but the expansion ratio is unchanged. This means the compression ratio is smaller than the expansion ratio. Heat gained from burning fuel increases the pressure, thereby forcing the piston to move, expanding the air volume beyond the volume when compression began. The goal of the modern Atkinson cycle is to allow the pressure in the combustion chamber at the end of the power stroke to be equal to atmospheric pressure; when this occurs, all the available energy has been obtained from the combustion process. For any given portion of air, the greater expansion ratio allows more energy to be converted from heat to useful mechanical energy, meaning the engine is more efficient."

It does NOT mean the cat can be done away with.
This is all good stuff.. Technically I know very little about hybrids tho I did work on a wireless car charger for all battery or plug in vehicles.. So something like a Prius drives the wheels with the IC Engine or an electric motor in parallel? both go through a transmission? I assume that the motor is also the generator for the battery bank.. Brushless? I sort of assumed it was like a diesel / electric locomotive but also had a battery bank..

I think I found the same quote on net about the Atkinson Cycle. One thing to note is that your above description of the Atkinson Cycle motor typically has a narrow power band.. They are really efficient in a range and therefore need a fancy tranny to drive the rear wheels.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jgrohio
After a 60 degree day in Ohio and Pa and getting in some much needed wind therapy I come home enjoy a few bourbons and read this and I'm lost lol. All I know is my M8 ran great today lol
Hint.. Read it before the bourbon.. Really helps for me..

In SoCal, we are dodging the showers right now but they still pause for a putt or 2..

Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Folks I'm sorry. I had a bit of a medical issue I had to deal with not long after my last post in this thread and looking at that post I should of seen it coming. I hope to follow up with some more testing in the future. But right now I won't beable to do so.

Sorry