Sponsored by:

Ohlins review

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yup, those air shocks are garbage, just ok for load bearing two up but so non compliant over any uneven road conditions..my Progressive 444's were so much better but like the OEM 2017's even more, so much that see zero need to upgrade..but Ohlins are the bomb..came stock on my 78' Husky CR 250 mx bike and even way back then they were considered the best of the best..they know suspension
They were stock on a 78 cr250? Don't remember that..

Add: I guess you mean Husky.. I was thinkin Honda..

Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

You guys are giving me a complex, after coming off a shovelhead the last 35 years I thought the shocks on my 17 RK where the cats azz and now I finding it ain't so LOL!!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
They were stock on a 78 cr250? Don't remember that..

Add: I guess you mean Husky.. I was thinkin Honda..
yup, Hunkavarnishes..lol.. called their mx bikes CR also back then and Ohlins were OEM..best quality built bikes but better suited to the grassier hillside tracks in Europe, they just didn't have the power to compete with the Jap bikes on the faster American tracks by the late 70's...don't get me wrong..plenty of top pros raced them and Maicos with huge success..but the RM's, YZ's and Elsinores were wicked fast, more affordable and durable..starting gates were dominated by red and yellow bikes for amateur racers..and green joined them in the 80's

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-17-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You guys are giving me a complex, after coming off a shovelhead the last 35 years I thought the shocks on my 17 RK where the cats azz and now I finding it ain't so LOL!!
Actually. I like the stock shocks on my M8 RKC.. They are not as plush as Ohlins but very close to Works shocks (IMO)..

Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Actually. I like the stock shocks on my M8 RKC.. They are not as plush as Ohlins but very close to Works shocks (IMO)..
Yeah if the rain ever stops and I get a chance to start riding this thing for real I'll wait to pass judgement on them. Haven't had a chance to really work the suspension yet, been doing a casual break in on her.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I know this has probably been covered in another thread, but where is any info about front fork Ohlins? All I can find is his inverted fork packages.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I had to jump on the binders way hard this morning on my RK. A *** hole ran a red light then rolled the intersection. Stupid Okie!!!! Right in front of me. I was just about to throw the bike down then it stopped. The only thing that worked right was the front forks and brakes. The tires and rear end was a complete joke. ***** Harley and there idiot engineers. They are soooo stuck in the 1930's. The idiots.... Whats up with there Flintstone damn rock hard tires? They must have a 1930's brain freeze. Damn morons...

Old 02-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
I had to jump on the binders way hard this morning on my RK. A *** hole ran a red light then rolled the intersection. Stupid Okie!!!! Right in front of me. I was just about to throw the bike down then it stopped. The only thing that worked right was the front forks and brakes. The tires and rear end was a complete joke. ***** Harley and there idiot engineers. They are soooo stuck in the 1930's. The idiots.... Whats up with there Flintstone damn rock hard tires? They must have a 1930's brain freeze. Damn morons...
I find the tires OK but I'm a real stickler for monitoring traction and most of the roads are around here are pretty good as far as traction goes.. Some of it might simply be that they are not smooth and they bite into the tires. Tires don't last here. I find the brakes good also but then I didn't get ABS.. What handed to make you believe that the rear end wasn't that good?

Old 02-18-2017, 09:20 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

I switched from OEM Dunlops to the Dunlop American Elites last bike and will do so again..they were a noticeable improvement

The following users liked this post:
mastergunnera8 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,085 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I own two bikes, M8 Road King and a ZX7 with floating Brembos up front. I find the brakes on the M8 fantastic.. The tires, I agree with you.. way too hard but I consider them a throw away.I see people in here throwing thousands at big bore kits before the bike gets out of the dealership. Or seats, handlebars, shields etc just to fit it to their liking .I figure a few hundred for good Michelin's or something similar is peanuts.

Quick Reply: Ohlins review