Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Harley is a 2017 Street Glide Special...what do I need t know?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

You'll be smiling a lot when you ride. So, be sure to pick the bugs out of your teeth before walking into Starbucks

🐜

Old 02-19-2017, 01:20 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't believe it's any different from riding any other bike as far as upkeep goes. I would ride it for a while before doing anything and see if and or what you want to change from stock. Congrats on the new glide it's a great choice IMHO

Old 02-19-2017, 01:30 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Do you do your own service? If so, buy the manuals - HD sells three for your bike: Service, Parts, and Electrical. I'd at least suggest the Service and Parts manuals.
Wait BUY the service manual? you know what I still have the manual from my 15 roadglide, they did not give me one with my 17. I never really thought much of it. I just thought they forgot to give me my manual. ok that's kind of crappy for real if you have to pay for that.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:35 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I know this may cause a panty wedgie with some of the guys and gals in here, but to me the Harley M8 rides and feels a lot like a metric so its really not all that different now. a lot of folks have been saying change the windshield, shock etc in here, but honestly ride it for a while before you change things. I am still on my stock shock and I really have no intentions of changing it. while its not like a Goldwing shock, its fine with me. I did change the windshield out. I am 6'4 and the stock short screen was horrible to me.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:28 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesYeager
So after riding 18 Jap bikes since 1984 I got a 2017 Street Glide. I have ridden well over 100k on two wheels. As someone transitioning what do I need to know about riding, maintenance and anything else.

I know this is a BROAD question so please keep in mind I am an experience rider...I just need to be "Harleyfied".

Thanks in advance.
To be honest with you the maintenance and riding are not going to be anything different than what you have been used to for over 100K miles. Follow the recommended maintenance schedule in the owners manual just as you would with any other bike

If you carry it to HD for service the price will be high, carry to an Indy shop it will be less expensive. If you did your own service on bikes in the past you will be able to do the same with the HD. I would suggest buying the Service Manual from HD especially if you are doing your own service.

One thing to remember is that with an HD there is a ton of aftermarket parts( probably more so than any other manufacturer) available to give you the look that you want or to change up riding position etc... to give you more comfort. My point in saying that is that you don't need to ride with a bike that is anything more than perfectly comfortable. If you wish you could sit higher, lower, closer to the bars, further away etc.... There is seats etc... that address that. More pull back on bars, less pull back, higher, lower etc... all can be fixed. You want to change the position of legs, feet etc.. all can be changed.

However the key with all the above IMHO is to put some miles on the bike before making lots of changes often you will find after some miles is the changes you originally envisioned are not what you really need. Or things that you originally thought would go unchanged need to be altered.

Biggest thing is just continue to ride and enjoy. If you have specific questions this forum is full of guys/gals that are more than eager to offer advise

The following users liked this post:
JamesYeager (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:31 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
Wait BUY the service manual? you know what I still have the manual from my 15 roadglide, they did not give me one with my 17. I never really thought much of it. I just thought they forgot to give me my manual. ok that's kind of crappy for real if you have to pay for that.
Owners Manual comes with a new bike, Service Manual you buy..sounds like they owe you an Owners Manual...if all you ever plan on doing is basic maintenance the OM is all you need and available online as well if you Register on Harley Owners at their main site

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-19-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 AM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
I've always had to buy my service manual. I got the owner's manual and the Boom system books with my bike but then I had to buy the three service manuals.

As far as the maintenance not being too different, mostly that's right, but you didn't say exactly what bikes you've had in the past. I have some friends that have switched to Harley that are kinda taken aback by the little things like; "What? there are 3 holes for oil?" and "I can't find the valve adjustment interval?" among other little things.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:40 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

OP; Congrats on the new ride and all you need, for now, are miles. Let the mods and add-on's come to you...in time.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 AM
JamesYeager
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Do you do your own service? If so, buy the manuals - HD sells three for your bike: Service, Parts, and Electrical. I'd at least suggest the Service and Parts manuals.

If you have oil questions, there a sub forum just for oil topics - tons and tons of great info in there (interspersed with some opinions, both informed and not).

If you need some valuable tips concerning the touring line up, both the Touring Forum and it's sub forum, Rushmores, are great places to read (in other words, there's a lot of good info about your bike other than just in the M8 forum).
Get 3 manuals - check
Stay out of Oil - check :-)
Touring Forums - check

Thanks man!

Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 AM
JamesYeager
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vaham
trade your Power Ranger onesie and your full face for a pirate suit and a half helmet
I am keeping BOTH thank you very much but I DID cut the sleeves out of the onesie. :-)

The following users liked this post:
vaham (02-19-2017)

Quick Reply: My first Harley is a 2017 Street Glide Special...what do I need t know?