Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-Ons and Air Filter

Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Slip-Ons and Air Filter

Will slip ons and a K&N necessitate a new map? The stock breather unit is still on the bike. I've already got RC Components 4.5" on the bike and was thinking about adding just the K&N air filter. Would the K&N, without the entire breather upgrade, even offer enough air flow increase to warrant the change?

Old 02-20-2017, 09:57 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts

unless K&N has updated their offerings, I don't believe they make one for the 2017 OEM air box..here's the route I took..put Street Canons on and had the Stage 1 Street Tuner calibration loaded and left the intake stock..runs absolutely fantastic, same smooth throttle response, idle raised to 950 pm's, with the benefits of pulling a little longer on the top end, being quieter and provides better filtration and protection from the elements than the high flow AC kits

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-20-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

If you are changing the air filter element & mufflers you can generally get by without retuning without issue, however even the stock bikes respond really well from a re-tune with the appropriate tuning device. Re-tuning allows for a more optimum air/fuel mixture & ignition timing, the throttle by wire tables are revised, the speed limiter is removed, and many other changes are made within the tune to increase throttle response, running quality, & performance.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
If you are changing the air filter element & mufflers you can generally get by without retuning without issue, however even the stock bikes respond really well from a re-tune with the appropriate tuning device. Re-tuning allows for a more optimum air/fuel mixture & ignition timing, the throttle by wire tables are revised, the speed limiter is removed, and many other changes are made within the tune to increase throttle response, running quality, & performance.
I see you mentioned "element" which I don't know if any higher flow aftermarket ones are currently available for the OEM air box..but if he buys a kit and slip-ons and does no tune, even if they're of the HD SE variety, his warranty would be voided since changing either/or of their mufflers and A/C's 'Require" ECM recalibration...totally agree with you on the tuning being wise

Old 02-20-2017, 11:13 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I see you mentioned "element" which I don't know if any higher flow aftermarket ones are currently available for the OEM air box..but if he buys a kit and slip-ons and does no tune, even if they're of the HD SE variety, his warranty would be voided since changing either/or of their mufflers and A/C's 'Require" ECM recalibration...totally agree with you on the tuning being wise
We have seen zero examples of warranty being voided from modifications of this nature.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We have seen zero examples of warranty being voided from modifications of this nature.
ok, that's good to know..they certainly could deny a claim if you didn't follow their rules but if the perception is that's it's not strictly enforced then the rewards could outweigh the risks. I've just been under the impression the MOCO isn't as forgiving nowadays as they have been in the past, thanks

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-20-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
ok, that's good to know..they certainly could deny a claim if you didn't follow their rules but if the perception is that's it's not strictly enforced then the rewards could outweigh the risks. I've just been under the impression the MOCO isn't as forgiving nowadays as they have been in the past, thanks
MJ, I'd check with your local HD service guys first. It seems like some have more flexibility than others and bottom line is that if you need warranty work done, it will likely start with them unless you are on a road trip and some drastic happens.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Ghost_Glide
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

the slip ons, air cleaner and tune seem to be a popular discussion with the warranty and EPA regs. I have a M* RGS that has seen a ride from the driveway to the garage and im itching to start modifying it. The thing is coming from a street bob 103 i have to ride my M8 to see the difference. With so little out as far as aftermarket parts, i think once i get to 1000 miles ill make the decision to add certain things.

So far the people have been happy with the slip ons being offered but to answer your question, a tune would really wake your engine up. happy riding

Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Ghost Glide, I can sympathize with you. I live in the "Great White North" eh! We have a few feet of snow up here and I bought my scoot at the end of November. I already knew what upgrades I was going to do based on previous rides but agree with your approach. Get to know your scoot before dropping a ton of money on upgrades that may not help your comfort or style of riding. I should have all my winter projects done by middle of March, just in time for riding season to start back up here in Canada if we have an early spring. All the best.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:56 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
MJ, I'd check with your local HD service guys first. It seems like some have more flexibility than others and bottom line is that if you need warranty work done, it will likely start with them unless you are on a road trip and some drastic happens.
yeah, just find it odd that the general consensus has always been it's necessary to retune/recalbrate if you upgrade intake and exhaust, but hearing on this post that it's "generally ok" to forego the tune with those upgrades..believe that's the exception rather than the rule and worth considering it's possible you could do some damage and be denied warranty coverage. I dunno', better to be safe than sorry imo and I couldn't get myself to increase air flow without some sort of tuning alteration..have a hard time believing the company that designed, built, sells and warranties their engines say it's "required" for absolutely no other reason than for a sale..

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slip-Ons and Air Filter