Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is waving a things of the past?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Here down South people on lawn mowers will wave to you.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:39 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglideCVO
Here down South people on lawn mowers will wave to you.

Wife and I are looking down south as an option. Starting to get way too congested up here in NJ. It used to be expesnive to live up here , now its insane. Retirment is around 10 years out.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

I get waves all the time when riding. It's usually the "peace sign" way down low, if that makes any sense.

In the neighborhood I live in, there's a couple of older retired guys who are always out patrolling. They are usually the ones waving, giving me the thumbs up, etc. I'm pretty sure they are happy to see someone actually riding an American made bike instead of racing around the 'hood in a rice burner car with a fart-can muffler making all kinds of racket. They're also the same guys who always give me the "rev it" sign by making a fist with their right hand and simulate twisting the throttle. Makes me laugh every time!

The following 2 users liked this post by ElectraJim:
103 sedona orange (02-23-2017), stixvrad (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by smokingjoe
probably a new jersey thang, down here in the South we still wave, hell in Texas we wave at ever thang [smile]
joe
Yep same here in MS in 20 years I have not noticed a decrease in waves. Almost wore my left arm out Sunday in a 30 mile stretch up the Natchez Trace to a watering hole, must have passed 30+ bikes and all but one lone rider on a crotch rocket waved

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraJim
I get waves all the time when riding. It's usually the "peace sign" way down low, if that makes any sense.

In the neighborhood I live in, there's a couple of older retired guys who are always out patrolling. They are usually the ones waving, giving me the thumbs up, etc. I'm pretty sure they are happy to see someone actually riding an American made bike instead of racing around the 'hood in a rice burner car with a fart-can muffler making all kinds of racket. They're also the same guys who always give me the "rev it" sign by making a fist with their right hand and simulate twisting the throttle. Makes me laugh every time!
Fart can muffler That made me laugh

ElectraJim (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

99% of the bikers down here wave. I always wave. Except when a CanAm Spider dude waves. Then I don't wave back.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:24 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Fart can muffler That made me laugh
Well, if you were to fart into an empty can, what does it sound like? Half the POS cars that these kids drive around in!

And get off my lawn! LOL!!!

Yes, I'm turning into a crabby old bastard.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Wife and I are looking down south as an option. Starting to get way too congested up here in NJ. It used to be expesnive to live up here , now its insane. Retirment is around 10 years out.
NC is a nice place to live if you don't want to go too far South.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

I've been riding for 40 years. First Problem, you are too old and remember a time when some people actually gave a **** about each other.
Mainly metric sport bikes. Another issue, since it is easier to see someone waving when you are doing a wheelie.
I've noticed over the years the number if riders waving back as you pass has really gone down. So has civility. Soon expect people to start weaving into your lane, then it will go down hill fast.
Touring riders are more likely than others to respond though. This class of people are different, they are enjoying the ride, probably riding to escape all the political hate posts and free their minds and souls with a ride, so they are actually glad to see you.
I figured it was just a combo of some being typical squids who don't know better, combined with the Harley vs Japanese bike thing preventing HD riders from doing it. You are wrong again. They are concerned about their complexions and just popped a pimple.
But since I've had the M8 Road King ( amazing bike), I still find a real lack of response from other riders. Too many foreign parts on an M8 bike for true bikers to even see you, you smell like a metric to a shovel rider.
I pulled alongside a group of guys on older HD's at a light and looked over and nodded. Nothing... Do some TC and older HD owners think HD sold out by making the M8 and not consider it a Harley? Bad form, you pulled along side, lucky no shots were fired.
Is this road courtesy a thing of the past and I just never got the memo? There never was road courtesy, just we watched out for each other. Now that we have foreign parts on our bikes, they don't need as much watching out for.
Is my antiperspirant lacking? Yes, but it has nothing to do with why a true biker does not wave. You need a brand that has 100% components made in the USA if you want waves. You brand has stuff made in New Jersey.
Or do more people simply think they sh*t roses and cant be bothered? Read the political posts, they sure think they fart roses.
Will Billy Bob marry his cousin? After 7 kids, they divorced and married outside the neighborhood. First time either of them had been past 4 corners.

toppy (03-01-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I've been riding for 40 years. First Problem, you are too old and remember a time when some people actually gave a **** about each other.
Mainly metric sport bikes. Another issue, since it is easier to see someone waving when you are doing a wheelie.
I've noticed over the years the number if riders waving back as you pass has really gone down. So has civility. Soon expect people to start weaving into your lane, then it will go down hill fast.
Touring riders are more likely than others to respond though. This class of people are different, they are enjoying the ride, probably riding to escape all the political hate posts and free their minds and souls with a ride, so they are actually glad to see you.
I figured it was just a combo of some being typical squids who don't know better, combined with the Harley vs Japanese bike thing preventing HD riders from doing it. You are wrong again. They are concerned about their complexions and just popped a pimple.
But since I've had the M8 Road King ( amazing bike), I still find a real lack of response from other riders. Too many foreign parts on an M8 bike for true bikers to even see you, you smell like a metric to a shovel rider.
I pulled alongside a group of guys on older HD's at a light and looked over and nodded. Nothing... Do some TC and older HD owners think HD sold out by making the M8 and not consider it a Harley? Bad form, you pulled along side, lucky no shots were fired.
Is this road courtesy a thing of the past and I just never got the memo? There never was road courtesy, just we watched out for each other. Now that we have foreign parts on our bikes, they don't need as much watching out for.
Is my antiperspirant lacking? Yes, but it has nothing to do with why a true biker does not wave. You need a brand that has 100% components made in the USA if you want waves. You brand has stuff made in New Jersey.
Or do more people simply think they sh*t roses and cant be bothered? Read the political posts, they sure think they fart roses.
Will Billy Bob marry his cousin? After 7 kids, they divorced and married outside the neighborhood. First time either of them had been past 4 corners.

Funny stuff,LOL.. Laughing over here... Sadly,many of your points are so true..

Quick Reply: Is waving a things of the past?