Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is "wobble" a thing of the past with the M8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:49 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

New one on me as well.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Not new to me. It is very prevalent in bicycles. I fixed up bicycles for over 40 years. The bicycle does not go fast enough to have wobble but bumps will jar a loose steering head.

I bought them at municipal auctions and fixed them up for donation to churches, Salvation Army, Good Will and others. Kids came from all over to have me fix their bikes. I lived in the south Chicago suburbs and did on average about 150 bikes a year.

My son bought my house when I retired. I warned him people would be knocking on his door. It took 2 years before folks finally learned the "Bike Man" didn't live there anymore.

Where I retired too is small and I fix about 2 bikes a year. I need to start throwing out decades of parts inventory as there is no use for them anymore. So far I through out about 300 lbs of crank arms and chain rings, seats, pedals etc.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

at least our motocross steering head bearings were a breeze to service and adjust. they take a ton of flex and stress obviously

Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
I have been as fast as 110-112 in a floor board scraping sweeper with out a wobble on a new '17 Road King. Does better than my '14 Road King which was significantly better than my '13 Road King.

IMHO, the '14 Rushmore models were the first HD's that were actually good motorcycles. The '17's were another big step in the right direction.
Yep, I agree and it took me one test ride, a 2017 M8 RK blue/silver, then I bought the bike right after the test ride . Best Harley ever!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Nope.. You push them hard enough and they still dance.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Island Quest
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That's exactly what I did today only to have the supposed Master Tech tell me that because it's in spec they would have to charge me ...He felt the wobble also..but since it was a low speed wobble that he deemed as not an unsafe condition to Wait till my 1000 mile service..I told him why not just adjust it to the higher side of Spec and be done with it ..he Again told me to wait and if it gets worse to bring it in..can't believe that kinda thinking..just bought the Bike yesterday and the third one that I bought from this dealership..looks like it's time for a sit down with the owner..why should I have to ride another 950 miles with a low speed wobble..I thought about doing it myself but after what I payed for the Bike I feel I shouldn't have to.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Quest
That's exactly what I did today only to have the supposed Master Tech tell me that because it's in spec they would have to charge me ...He felt the wobble also..but since it was a low speed wobble that he deemed as not an unsafe condition to Wait till my 1000 mile service..I told him why not just adjust it to the higher side of Spec and be done with it ..he Again told me to wait and if it gets worse to bring it in..can't believe that kinda thinking..just bought the Bike yesterday and the third one that I bought from this dealership..looks like it's time for a sit down with the owner..why should I have to ride another 950 miles with a low speed wobble..I thought about doing it myself but after what I payed for the Bike I feel I shouldn't have to.
Nope, you shouldn't have to. Tell them to fix it to your liking or find another dealership to go to. I have an awesome service department. My front brake master cylinder was seeping a very tiny bit of brake fluid today. Stopped by my dealer and the guys wheeled my scoot in immediately, replaced the gasket, bled the brake line and washed my bike while I chatted with the parts staff and had a coffee. I have purchased four bikes from them in the past four years for my wife and I and they always take care of me. Like you said, you just spent a lot of money on a new scoot, it shouldn't have a wobble and if it does they should be jumping to fix the problem, not delaying things, which could put you in danger.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Harley "wobble"

Originally Posted by drcollie
The infamous Harley FL "Death Wobble" was in 2008 and earlier bikes, caused by soft bushings and a flexible swingarm. I had it in my 2004 Road King, and it would manifest itself in a high-speed, sweeping turn (i.e. 80 mph in a curve and hard on it). It was quite disconcerting when it happened and would startle inexperienced riders. At the time, there were all sorts of aftermarket brackets that would tie in the engine to the swingarm to add rigidity to the bike. Harley fixed it with the 2009 frames, which is one reason if you ever want to pick up a used FL series, stay with that year or newer.

The 2017 bikes track very nicely, I'm impressed with how my Road Glide handles compared to my older Harleys.

Exactly right, DrCollie. The infamous "Harley wobble" is on the rubber mounted cruisers and occurs at the swing arm isolators or "donuts". Easy to tell if you have this condition by riding about 30 mph or so and wiggling the handlebars. If you have it you'll feel like you have a "hinge" behind the seat down in the frame as the *** end will wiggle. If not just the front wheel will move. Had it bad on my old '91 Electra Glide Sport and used the kit from "Glide Pro" of Santee, Ca to fix it. Rode like it was on a rail after installing the kit including front motor mount, swing arm isolators with bushings.

Other conditions like the loose neck bearings, tire pressure, etc. can cause a "wobble" but that is different from the "Harley Wobble" syndrome.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Quest
Make sure your tire doesn't have a broke belt first then have them or another dealer tq the bearings to the high side. I would not except it wobbling at low speed or mid speed or any speed, the engineer said they were not suppose to wobble at all. Call HD and try to talk to someone there if you can't get it worked out. I wouldn't listen to there BS.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:03 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
Has anyone experienced "wobble" with their new bike?
No "wobble" on mine and I've been trying to make it "wobble" high speed cornering. Had a slight weave effect once but I believe it was caused by the road surface.

Quick Reply: Is "wobble" a thing of the past with the M8?