Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer demo ride protocols....

Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Been to demo days and single bike demo rides...filled out required paperwork, no questions asked, and rode off to enjoy/check-out bikes.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 336 Posts

My dealer gave me the keys to his personal ride...... Bought one the next week. Good sales practices means customers. Pressure destroys sales.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM
4.2Crew
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout
My dealer gave me the keys to his personal ride...... Bought one the next week. Good sales practices means customers. Pressure destroys sales.
Totally agree!

Old 03-26-2017, 07:31 PM
103luckygreenDude
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, come down to SW Florida (Black Widow or the one in Fort Meyers), and bring a catchers mitt. They will be throwing keys at ya. The salesman down here love going on test rides.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.2Crew
Just wondering if my experience yesterday is the norm???...

Rode my 2010 Goldwing to a MN (MPLS) dealer yesterday to throw a leg over a 2017 Ultra Limited Low---the sole purpose was a showroom fit test after hearing rave reviews about the new M8 and suspension updates. After some general chat with the salesman, he asked if I was ready to "write something up." I was a bit taken by the aggressiveness and replied: "Perhaps after a test/demo ride." His response: "Well, we work to agreeable numbers first, take a deposit, then allow test/demo rides"

WTF?....Really?

Is this standard dealer protocol for demo rides?... Or, just yet another example of high pressure douche'barrel salesman behavior isolated to this specific dealer?

Ride safe and thanks for listening----and the feedback...

Nope, drivers license and insurance is all that is required and my dealer was totally cool.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Call dealer, tell him your story, he'll probably give you a demo ride without a problem. Demo days are also great if you happen to have one coming up. Up in MN there may be one after the thaw. Check the local dealer calendars.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

You should come to my dealership. The wife and I stopped in to look at the new bikes to kill time with no intention of buying last summer. Got to talking to the sales manager about the new M8's. He pointed at a SG and said have at it. Took it out for a bit and came back. He had a Limited CVO sitting there waiting outside when we returned and said take that out one now.

He knew we weren't buying, and just had us wear helmets and needed my DL for proof of MC endorsement.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 AM
4.2Crew
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 103luckygreenDude
Man, come down to SW Florida (Black Widow or the one in Fort Meyers), and bring a catchers mitt. They will be throwing keys at ya. The salesman down here love going on test rides.
Shoot, was just in the Tampa-Clearwater-St Pete area earlier this month... Glad to hear some dealers have confidence, foresight, and biz savvy the bikes will sell them damn selves--and instill that trust & confidence in their sales staff. ...Particularly with the M8's potential for market share grab in the touring/cruiser segment.

Desperation/pressure to make a quick sale is drippingly palpable and a huge b*ner-killer........not to mention veeerrry short-sighted. Just MHO. End of rant.

Last edited by 4.2Crew; 03-27-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

My dealer said "Man you have to ride a new M8" I said maybe when I'm in the market to buy. He said "Ride one anyway". He then told one of the guys to grab me a helmet, rolled a new Limited outside and said "Have fun". No DL check, no insurance check. A few months later I bought a new Limited....2016, lol.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,071 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.2Crew
Just wondering if my experience yesterday is the norm???...

Rode my 2010 Goldwing to a MN (MPLS) dealer yesterday to throw a leg over a 2017 Ultra Limited Low---the sole purpose was a showroom fit test after hearing rave reviews about the new M8 and suspension updates. After some general chat with the salesman, he asked if I was ready to "write something up." I was a bit taken by the aggressiveness and replied: "Perhaps after a test/demo ride." His response: "Well, we work to agreeable numbers first, take a deposit, then allow test/demo rides"

WTF?....Really?

Is this standard dealer protocol for demo rides?... Or, just yet another example of high pressure douche'barrel salesman behavior isolated to this specific dealer?

Ride safe and thanks for listening----and the feedback...
Heck, after two visits to look at the bike ( first one solo, second with wife) I came in for a test ride.. They photocopied my DL, handed me a yellow vest, and let me just take the Road King out on my own. Even came in and took out a RG after that .. no one accompanied me. I settled on the RK .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer demo ride protocols....