Sponsored by:

The M8 A&S Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts
Default The M8 A&S Clutch

Well we've all talked about them and after fighting clutch slippage issues it became time to take a hard look at why they seem to be different from bike to bike and look at the new HD SE High Capacity Kit. To say the least what HD has done seems pretty poor to me. If you have a 2017 Touring bike with the 107 engine you got clutch number 1 (9 disc). If you have a 2017 Trike or 114 M8 you got clutch number 2 (10 disc). That's right they are putting different clutch setups in them!

Now if you go to the dealer and lookup STOCK replacement Clutch plate kit you only come up with one part number for ALL M8 models 37000258. That is clutch number 2 from above! That's right they only sell the 10 disc replacement set for all models! There is a foot note in the Service guide not to mix parts from the 9 disc and the 10 disc setups.

So here is where it gets interesting, my clutch sucks and always has but a friend has a pretty nice feel in his bike. Both engage near the end of the lever travel but his just seemed nicer and smoother than mine so yesterday we tore them apart to have a look. Mine is a 2017 RK his is a 2017 Road Glide both with 107 M8 engines. We get them apart and as expected mine had a 9 disc with white stripe springs installed. Get his apart and his has the 10 disc with white stripe springs. Now according to all the books his should have been a 9 disc just like mine! So they must be getting them mixed up on the production line during assemble.

So down at the dealership to order the 10 disc 37000258 is when we found all the book information and of coarse they do not stock one and they are on back order, so I said how about the NEW SE High Capacity clutch, nope, no stock. So we start looking up its component parts and low and behold it is a combination of a 37000258 clutch pack and 37000288 springs! So the New and improved SE Clutch kit is nothing more than the stock 10 disc clutch with heavier springs!

So for those of you with a Trike or a 114 factory engine do not bother with the SE clutch as you already have it, you just need the heavier springs which are only $24.95. For the rest of us who knows what you got as some will have gotten lucky like my buddy and already have it.

White stripe springs are a new LOWER pressure spring Stock for 2017 M8 applications now called 1100N
Orange/red stripe springs are the Stock 2014 - 2016 A&S spring now called 1200N
There is a new heavier spring called a 1275N but they didn't have them so I could not get them but I would assume they have a different color stripe on them too.

Weather or not the 10 disc will solve my problem of slippage or not we will find out later when they come in from back order.

The following 8 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
bad tappets (04-03-2017), Bannana Boat (03-27-2017), FLTRI17 (03-27-2017), MarkBorg (03-26-2017), rauchman (03-28-2017), Sam D. (03-26-2017), SomeOld Biker (03-26-2017), WingsMC (03-30-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,247 Likes on 11,135 Posts

I've heard good things about the Recluse clutch. But, I wonder if it will work on an M8...and it's a lot of coin to drop on an experiment.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:42 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

That's some good info Steve. I know several people have posted complaints about the clutches on these bikes. It seems shady that HD would try to pass of a kit that just has different springs as some sort of upgrade.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

I do have a couple questions about this.
1. Is your bike stock? I would think if your having problems with a slipping clutch on a stock bike that the MOCO would have to do something about that.
2. Have you considered trying an AIM locker. You can get one that has softer springs than stock for an easier pull or they have springs that are 1600N if you want them. Otherwise I would try the stronger SE springs with the clutch you have and see what happens.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks Steve, I wondered why I wasn't experiencing what others were saying about their clutches. I have a CVO SG so I should be ok. My wife has a SGS so I'll have to take her scoot for a few rides before I can tell if she was one of the lucky ones with the 10 disc clutch or if she has problems with the 9 disc clutch. As we say, I'll have to watch and shoot. Thanks again.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:48 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well we've all talked about them and after fighting clutch slippage issues it became time to take a hard look at why they seem to be different from bike to bike and look at the new HD SE High Capacity Kit. To say the least what HD has done seems pretty poor to me. If you have a 2017 Touring bike with the 107 engine you got clutch number 1 (9 disc). If you have a 2017 Trike or 114 M8 you got clutch number 2 (10 disc). That's right they are putting different clutch setups in them!

Now if you go to the dealer and lookup STOCK replacement Clutch plate kit you only come up with one part number for ALL M8 models 37000258. That is clutch number 2 from above! That's right they only sell the 10 disc replacement set for all models! There is a foot note in the Service guide not to mix parts from the 9 disc and the 10 disc setups.

So here is where it gets interesting, my clutch sucks and always has but a friend has a pretty nice feel in his bike. Both engage near the end of the lever travel but his just seemed nicer and smoother than mine so yesterday we tore them apart to have a look. Mine is a 2017 RK his is a 2017 Road Glide both with 107 M8 engines. We get them apart and as expected mine had a 9 disc with white stripe springs installed. Get his apart and his has the 10 disc with white stripe springs. Now according to all the books his should have been a 9 disc just like mine! So they must be getting them mixed up on the production line during assemble.

So down at the dealership to order the 10 disc 37000258 is when we found all the book information and of coarse they do not stock one and they are on back order, so I said how about the NEW SE High Capacity clutch, nope, no stock. So we start looking up its component parts and low and behold it is a combination of a 37000258 clutch pack and 37000288 springs! So the New and improved SE Clutch kit is nothing more than the stock 10 disc clutch with heavier springs!

So for those of you with a Trike or a 114 factory engine do not bother with the SE clutch as you already have it, you just need the heavier springs which are only $24.95. For the rest of us who knows what you got as some will have gotten lucky like my buddy and already have it.

White stripe springs are a new LOWER pressure spring Stock for 2017 M8 applications now called 1100N
Orange/red stripe springs are the Stock 2014 - 2016 A&S spring now called 1200N
There is a new heavier spring called a 1275N but they didn't have them so I could not get them but I would assume they have a different color stripe on them too.

Weather or not the 10 disc will solve my problem of slippage or not we will find out later when they come in from back order.
wow, I usually try and support the MOCO but this is bush league bs...first I notice they market / advertise the Street Canons only as requiring an ECM recalibration, but the Instructions provided don't say that like they do with the SE AC's, so people buy the Pro Street Tuner thinking they need it for the mufflers, only to find out there isn't a calibration for them only...not exactly a tightly run business...bet there's many more contradictions and mistakes being made by them

Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 825 Likes on 493 Posts

I don't understand the OP's complaint. Is your 2017 clutch slipping or are you just not happy with the way it is engaging?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:35 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

The OP is Steve Cole. He is a pioneer and subject matter expert when it comes to everything HD. He dissects everything and reports on what works and what doesn't. You can pretty much take what he says as gospel when it comes to knowing the workings of Harley's.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 825 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm not questioning his expertise, I'm just trying to understand the problem.
Example 2800 RPM's , let's say fifth gear, normally yields 60mph.
You notice that @ 2800 you are getting 55mph then the clutch is slipping.
For this discussion we will focus on the clutch and not other reasons that could cause a 5 mph difference.
I got the impression that the "feel" of the clutch was different compared to his buddy.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Good info. Thanks Steve, so far no issues 3,200 miles.

Quick Reply: The M8 A&S Clutch