Sponsored by:

FP3 on a STOCK Milwaukee 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 AM
ral819
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FP3 on a STOCK Milwaukee 8

Been doing some reading on Fuel Pak vs SEPST. I'm completely stock at this point. Would the V&H FP3 interfere with an extended warranty ? Would it benefit a stock Milwaukee 8 ? Obviously, I want to improve performance but, not at the expense of my extended warranty. 1600 miles on this RGS...

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM
ral819
Tourer

WOW... Just found some interesting reading on this. I guess Dealer Purchased/Dealer Installed plays into this ???

Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

There are a lot of threads on aftermarket tuners. My understanding is that some dealers are selling them and installing them and they state they will cover any warranty issues, but from all I've read, the MoCo is who issues the warranty, not the dealer. Therefore, depending on what goes wrong the dealer may be able to cover things, however, if the cost of parts and labor are significant, the MoCo may not honor the warranty if the aftermarket tuner is not EPA compliant. Also, I read that the MoCo must prove that the tuner in question was a direct result of the power train failure, if they can't prove that they have to honor the warranty. I haven't seen anyone in this position yet so it's watch and shoot for the time being. Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:08 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I bought the ESP for my 15 RGS. Nothing was said about any mods voiding or limiting me on the warranty. At 5,000 miles the engine cases were leaking oil. The HS Store checked it out and verified the leak. The store pulled me aside and said my bike comes back as "Modified" and may be a problem with warranty.
It turned out it was the aftermarket grips and mufflers. HD is doing the warranty but it made me ask HD if I wanted to install the Head Breather bypass and some cooling fans if that would void my warranty? The answer HD gave me was basically anything aftermarket could limit my warranty.
So I then called the ESP people, they aren't part of HD but do the warranty process, and the answer I got was if I wish to have full protection of the ESP to keep the bike stock or it may limit the coverage or not be covered at all.

Needless to say I canceled the ESP Warranty

Old 03-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

With all the EPA/HD mess. It all comes down to your dealer, and how flexible they are. Thankfully I have a very understanding dealer.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I would honestly say check with your local HD dealer. If you have a major engine problem with the new bike, you want to make sure they will support you when you need them most. My local shop explicitly told me not to install any tuner other than the SE tuner or it will void warranty should something happen later. I hear MoCo is focusing on tuners more so than exhaust or intakes. I used to do most of my work on these bikes but with the new engine design, and the stricter EPA ruling, I just let them do everything. It's for peace of mind. If I can't afford it than I shouldn't be riding these bikes. I've already done stage 2 torque cams, full exhaust, and other stuff, all under warranty because it's been done by them and uses HD parts with the exception of the V&H headers, which I purchased from them. I'm not willing to take a chance. I will need these guys on my side when the time comes. Yes you can fight them in court but who has the time for that nonsense? so, please check with your local HD shop and follow their advise. Besides, how much tuning are you really going to do? once it get it sounding right, and performing right, you leave it alone. And to answer your first question, I don't think a tuner will make a difference on a stock bike. The tuner will be needed once you install performance stage kits. (full exhaust, intake, cams, etc)

Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,742 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Oil Changes?

I have always done most of the maintenance and builds on my bikes. The lady that was doing the title work at the dealer when I bought my '17 RG was trying to sell me an extended service plan and indicated that if I did my own services it would void the warranty. I thought that had already been fought in the legal system and the decision was that as long as it is done properly they have honor the warranty. Am I wrong? I really don't want the dealer to touch my bike as I have had bad experiences in the past.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

The way I understand it, as long as it's a HD part you should be ok. If you do your own service keep a log with mileage and receipts. Beware though, IMO if what you did caused the breakdown, they might say you didn't know what you're doing and void the claim.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

What it comes down to, is harley responsible to warranty someone else's parts. Harley gives you a warranty on harley parts, and legally doesn't need to fix a bike with parts they didn't put on it from the factory. Are you going to take them to court to prove it? They have much deeper pockets.

The mm act is for maintenance items only. Not performance parts. A fuel pack is not a maintenance item.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:03 PM
ral819
Tourer

I had a lengthy conversation at the Dealer about if I purchased the FP3 through them, would it be covered in the warranty ? Of course they said no, only the SEPST. I asked about the ability to return the bike to a stock MAP from a FP3 MAP. (The FP3 can hold 6 MAP's). The Dealer says even though you go to a stock MAP, if you have a problem with the bike, they can tell by codes that it was changed, so they claim to be able to tell if you've used an FP3 at any time...

Quick Reply: FP3 on a STOCK Milwaukee 8