Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

It's insurance renewel time,thinking of making a change.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Have you tried Geico?

They were the cheapest for me. When I had an accident ($7500 worth of damage) they were out in no time at all, cut a check on the spot and said if you need more let us know.

It was surprisingly quick, easy, & payments. It truly was like they really cared about me.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I've had State Farm auto for about 20 years. Been with them for renters/homeowners for 15. I didn't even shop around for the bike - I have full coverage 250/500 for $300/year on my Deluxe through them. Haven't had to make a claim on the bike thankfully, but they've been fantastic to deal with for several auto claims and one homeowners claim.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
I've had Progressive since 2002, never had a claim and I've always felt they were a little high. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and my renewel is $495.00 with no medical. I have a new State Farm agent so I told him today he could give me a quote. Comparing apples to apples he was at $393.00, I might add that I have multiple policies with State Farm. Just wondering if those of you using State Farm on your bike have been satisfied ? I guess the important question is are those of you with State Farm that have had a claim satisfied ? I appreciate your comments.
I am using State Farm for all of my vehicles and the house.

I've never had a claim on the bike, but I was involved in an accident that totaled my pickup last year.
I was not at fault (rear ended by another driver), and he didn't have insurance.

State Farm handled my my claim and gave me full retail value for my truck.
Claim was paid minus my deductible, but I will get that back once State Farm gets done with the legal process of getting it out of the other driver.

I have had 3 or 4 claims with State Farm over the last 25 years, and was satisfied every time.
I like having an agent in a local office.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I've had all my insurance (house, car, bike) with State Farm for the past 35 years and never had a single claim. Last year I had an accident and I was at fault. I ran into the back of a friend's bike at low speed.

The local agent was great. The claims department was a nightmare. They were so slow in everything. They kept saying they were backed up! It was so bad that I thought about changing companies but won't because State Farm forgives the first accident and your rates don't go up. Eventually they fixed my bike and totally out my friend's bike (he would have preferred to have had it fixed). I've got insurance company post traumatic stress now. Any time I have to think about State Farm, I remember what I went through dealing with them. I have no confidence that it will be any better should I ever need them again. But somehow I don't feel it necessarily would have been much different with any of the other major insurance companies.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm always amazed at some of the great rates some people get. Somebody mentioned $400 for their house with State Farm. I have 6 policies with State Farm and been with them 44 years. The house I live in is $1100.00 a year, my other little house I'm getting ready to sell is almost $800.00. They do give me good rates on my vehicles. I had my bike insured with them back in 2001 when I had an accident. The bike was a total loss and I didn't like how the claims department handled the claim. Once I settled with them I dropped my bike coverage and switched to Progressive. The only reason I kept all my other policies with them is because my agent was a very good friend. It seems like every year at renewel time I think about dropping Progressive. I guess I feel like they are to high but I stay with them because they promise accident forgiveness.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,207 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
I've had Progressive since 2002, never had a claim and I've always felt they were a little high. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and my renewel is $495.00 with no medical. I have a new State Farm agent so I told him today he could give me a quote. Comparing apples to apples he was at $393.00, I might add that I have multiple policies with State Farm. Just wondering if those of you using State Farm on your bike have been satisfied ? I guess the important question is are those of you with State Farm that have had a claim satisfied ? I appreciate your comments.
Too early to tell yet for my claim just two weeks old, although I will say they don`t knock themselves out helping me. I`ve had to do everything myself so far (send them the police report, get estimates that I had to pay for upfront at two Harley shops, take electronic photos to send to them via of a secure encripted email I have yet to receive an email address for). So far, it feels like this will be like pulling teeth....... We`ll see......

Old 02-11-2015, 07:55 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I called Progressive yesterday and asked them about my disappearing deductable option. They said it will drop from $500.00 to $375.00 on renewel date. They also offered to lower my premium to $454.00 after I mentioned my new State Farm agent was trying to get my bike business.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

After decades of dealing with Insurance Companies, I've come to view 3 things as warning signs.

1) Premiums well below "average".

2) Long or complex "Exclusions" lists.

3) Uses 3rd party adjusters

Any one of these makes me nervous. All three and I'm no longer interested at any price.

When I was young, I would premium shop in order to get coverage I could afford. Coverage has always been mandatory here so I was just looking for the cheapest way to get on the road back then. "Fair enough", but these discount outfits really become POTP if you're ever involved in an accident IME. These days Allstate covers everything I own (rsidential, commercial, vehicles) . Experience has demonstrated they truly have my back.

I'm not in the insurance business, nor are any of my family. I'm just a customer.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
I've had State Farm auto for about 20 years. Been with them for renters/homeowners for 15. Haven't had to make a claim on the bike thankfully, but they've been fantastic to deal with for several auto claims and one homeowners claim.
I wasn't going to post until I read this. My home was covered by State Farm for over 40 years. A few small claims, but nothing that really cost them any money. Then a couple of years ago an input hose for my washing machine broke in the middle of the night. I woke up to find a 'lake', a few inches deep, inside my house. Almost $29,000 later State Farm had my house livable again. Good stuff!

The next year, instead of a bill for my homeowner insurance they sent me a letter denying coverage.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

For me in VA, State Farm just got competitive in price in the last couple of years. I ran Progressive for many a years since SF was so high. (I have my two cars, home and flood with SF for 46 years but my agent just could not compete) I have insurance for one reason..the big one. knock on wood, has never happened and no insurance company could have a better person for a customer. Two years ago when I turned 65, Progressive bumped me up about $30 but what made me check was a new law that made them write on policy I no longer qualified for their lowest rate. After talking to them, they said it was my credit score had dropped 15 points. It was still way up there but wife had grabbed a new card for one of those free-be offers and that gave us 4 cards. ( we pay off the full balance and just milk them from the 1% our Costco AE and credit union free Chile's Card for using it. Yes I am the credit card company's dead beat customer) Anyway, there was no talking to Progressive. They simply told me their rate was Credit Score Driven even if I was a millionaire and never had an accident. I really think it was I had turned 65. To make a long story short, SF was glad to insure me for less then Progressive...HEAR me now Progressive. You kicked one of your safest drivers to the curb. Never an accident, claim or speeding ticket in 50 years of driving for $30 of greed.

Just now got my email notice of my SF bike insurance notice. $222.22 for the yearly renew. Did not go up 1 cent. Full coverage on my 2004 Softail Duece, No medical or towing. $50 for vandalism. $1000 if I screw it up. Good deal. The city charges me more tax on it then my 04 Toyota 4x4 . Now if I could just get them straight but that is a hopeless cause. They tack 30% on NADA since it's a Harley and we all know he can walk on water.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-11-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: It's insurance renewel time,thinking of making a change.