Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

It's insurance renewel time,thinking of making a change.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I wasn't going to post until I read this. My home was covered by State Farm for over 40 years. A few small claims, but nothing that really cost them any money. Then a couple of years ago an input hose for my washing machine broke in the middle of the night. I woke up to find a 'lake', a few inches deep, inside my house. Almost $29,000 later State Farm had my house livable again. Good stuff!

The next year, instead of a bill for my homeowner insurance they sent me a letter denying coverage.
Those fill hoses on washers are supposed to be changed every 5 years, but no one thinks about them till its to late.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:17 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Those fill hoses on washers are supposed to be changed every 5 years, but no one thinks about them till its to late.
That's the truth. I replaced my burst rubber hoses with metal hoses.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:02 PM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I wasn't going to post until I read this. My home was covered by State Farm for over 40 years. A few small claims, but nothing that really cost them any money. Then a couple of years ago an input hose for my washing machine broke in the middle of the night. I woke up to find a 'lake', a few inches deep, inside my house. Almost $29,000 later State Farm had my house livable again. Good stuff!

The next year, instead of a bill for my homeowner insurance they sent me a letter denying coverage.
Turn off your faucets when not in use. You'll have a great chance for avoiding this bad situation.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:40 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by mountain man
Turn off your faucets when not in use. You'll have a great chance for avoiding this bad situation.
Good advice, unfortunately for me the faucets are behind the refrigerator.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

That may be, but mine goes down every year with Geico.
Same here. Just got my renewal quote for the coming year, and it dropped down a bit from what I paid last year. Not by a huge amount, about $15 less. And last year was my first year with them. Just to double check, I did an anonymous quote to see if they really do give low teaser rates to attract new customers. Not in this case, I got the exact same quote as my renewal. Same as when I was with Progressive, they never increased my premiums, at least not by any significant amount.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 AM
bg11
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allstate Ins.

I had State Farm on all my vehicles for 15 years and was satisfied until I bought a bike. I had a claim on a 96 Softail and they were a pain to deal with. They tried to insist that all repairs were made at a HD dealership. After a lot of back and forth they finally cut me a check.
Switched to Allstate after my agent died and I couldn't be happier. I totaled an 07 Street Glide and they cut me a check that actually covered all the add-ons and aftermarket extras. They also had $2000 in med pay. Took about a week to get the check.
State Farm worked real hard to pay me as little as they could get by with. Allstate almost begged me to take the med pay. Allstate is also much more affordable than other companies I got quotes from.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I know there are going to be some negative comments on all the different companies. It happens there are enough complaints against State Farm that I'm going to not let them have my bike at this time. I actually get really tired of watching all of the non stop TV commercials for each company. I'm going to call Progressive today and question them on a couple of things before I renew. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:01 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by bg11
I had State Farm on all my vehicles for 15 years and was satisfied until I bought a bike. I had a claim on a 96 Softail and they were a pain to deal with. They tried to insist that all repairs were made at a HD dealership. After a lot of back and forth they finally cut me a check.
Switched to Allstate after my agent died and I couldn't be happier. I totaled an 07 Street Glide and they cut me a check that actually covered all the add-ons and aftermarket extras. They also had $2000 in med pay. Took about a week to get the check.
State Farm worked real hard to pay me as little as they could get by with. Allstate almost begged me to take the med pay. Allstate is also much more affordable than other companies I got quotes from.
I too am a big fan of Allstate. Once you've actually had a claim with them you're a customer for life. I can't say there aren't outfits as good, but I'm pretty darn sure there are none better and I do know there are many out there who do business like a Nigerian Prince.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:14 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had used Foremost for a few years, good pricing. When I bought my 2012 RK Harley finance had switched allegiance from Foremost to Progressive. First year coverage, about 370.00. The next year they sent me a renewal for over 700.00! I switched to Geico, coverages all read the same and they have charged me in the 350.00 range for 2 years straight. I have never had to use any of the 3 mentioned companies (knock on wood), but I suggest shopping around if you think you're getting the short end.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I just took the time to get a quote from Allstate. With the exact same coverage except for a little bit of difference in the deductable Allstate was $387.00 for 12 months. I spoke to Progressive to see about the better deal they recently offered me of $432.00. Here is the catch, if I take the $432.00 instead of my normal renewel of $495.00 I start all over again on the disappearing deductable. After being with Progressive since 2002 I just found out about their disappearing deductable option last year.My $500.00 deductable on comp and collision drops to $375.00 if I renew next month at the $495.00 rate. It's all such a game, think I'll check a few more companies as others have suggested.

Quick Reply: It's insurance renewel time,thinking of making a change.