Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Allstate MC insurance. Good? Bad?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:22 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,220 Likes on 11,133 Posts

I have Had Allstate on everything except my Harley for many years. The Harley is through HD-Progressive because it was convenient. Very few claims except one recent experience as follows:

One of my cars was hit by an SUV while parked in front of my house. The driver stopped and we exchanged info. He had State Farm, that was a new policy through his company. State Farm gave me the runaround for over 1 week, claiming they had to verify insurance and all kinds of crap. Allstate then told me that if I wanted, they would cover getting my car fixed, and they would bill State Farm. I took the car to one of the Allstate recommended body shops, and 1 week later the car was done and showroom perfect. Ironically, State Farm finally called me back 1 day after my car was done, to tell me they had verified insurance, and how to proceed with getting three estimates and all kind of crap. I had to pay the deductible to the body shop. But, then Allstate reimbursed me when the car was done. Not sure why they did it thatvway but it worked.

So, two thumbs up for Allstate...and two middle fingers to State Farm.

Oh yeah, I have a appointment to meet with my Allstate agent to review all my insurance, as well as a quote on my Harley.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:38 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Apendejo
Esurance is Allstate's internet alter-ego, cut out the middle man.
Yes but Esurance does not insure motorcycles, I have esurance for my car but they would not insure my bike

Old 04-06-2015, 04:55 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I have Had Allstate on everything except my Harley for many years. The Harley is through HD-Progressive because it was convenient. Very few claims except one recent experience as follows:

One of my cars was hit by an SUV while parked in front of my house. The driver stopped and we exchanged info. He had State Farm, that was a new policy through his company. State Farm gave me the runaround for over 1 week, claiming they had to verify insurance and all kinds of crap. Allstate then told me that if I wanted, they would cover getting my car fixed, and they would bill State Farm. I took the car to one of the Allstate recommended body shops, and 1 week later the car was done and showroom perfect. Ironically, State Farm finally called me back 1 day after my car was done, to tell me they had verified insurance, and how to proceed with getting three estimates and all kind of crap. I had to pay the deductible to the body shop. But, then Allstate reimbursed me when the car was done. Not sure why they did it thatvway but it worked.

So, two thumbs up for Allstate...and two middle fingers to State Farm.

Oh yeah, I have a appointment to meet with my Allstate agent to review all my insurance, as well as a quote on my Harley.
Its called subrogation and Allstate have done this for me no less than 3 times over the past 30 years. No effing around with other people's two bit amateur adjusters. You just call your Allstate Agent, take your vehicle wherever you want to, (no bids), and get er fixed. Premiums remain unaffected. When you have Allstate insurance, you deal with your Allstate agent/adjuster and no one else's.

Seven years ago, we had a clothes dryer fire. There was no fire damage to our house, just smoke. The Allstate adjuster came right over and simply stated they don't pay for the cause of the damage (dryer) but everything else, damage, cleanup, hotels, meals, etc., etc., etc., just send them the bill or receipt. We could have hired cleanup contractors but Allstate said they'd take care of that if we wished so we let them do it. Two weeks and $30,000.00 later we moved back into our completely restored home. They even paid a $1,500.00 Vet bill for the effing cat !!

I don't work for Allstate or know anyone, other than my Agent, who does. I'm just a thoroughly satisfied Allstate client. The premiums they charge me appear to be competitive but quite frankly, I really don't care. I'm getting what I pay for, white glove, zero bullshit, immediate and complete coverage.

When I was young, I had a claim experience with a budget insurance outfit. I can tell you that if you ever have a claim, your legal bills will be inversely proportional to your insurance premiums, if you collect at all.

"Allstate all day long" !!

Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Tadgh45
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Foremost Insurance. They specialize in motorcycles, ATV's, RV's, etc.
Great company.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Capbyrd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got dairyland when I bought my bike so that I would be insured from day one. I started looking around and Allstate was half the price. I've switched. I did already have my car and homeowners with Allstate though.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 PM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

I had been with State Farm for years and had everything insured under them. When I bought my previous bike they wanted to charge me over $800 a year for full coverage. I called around and ended up with Geico for less than $150 a year. When I bought my Harley the price went up ($360 a year for full coverage and towing), but still cheaper than anyone else out there I could find.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I had been with State Farm for years and had everything insured under them. When I bought my previous bike they wanted to charge me over $800 a year for full coverage. I called around and ended up with Geico for less than $150 a year. When I bought my Harley the price went up ($360 a year for full coverage and towing), but still cheaper than anyone else out there I could find.
Not doubting you bro but when I see differences like ($800 - $150 = $650 or 433% ) it tweaks my sense of smell. How do those policies compare regarding ?

1. Number and description of "Exclusions".
2. Size and number of "deductible" categories.
3. "Depreciation" formulae used.
4. Extended coverages like 3rd party liabilities, "uninsured" riders, etc..
5. Medical, categories, limitations.
6. Amount of coverage (limitations)
7. Squirm features; (a lot of detailed questions on the "application" which may be difficult to answer accurately) designed to get Ins Co.'s off the hook.
8. "The biggie" and most difficult to determine, claims experience, use of 3rd party adjusters, etc.

"I'm not asking for a fact finding errand bro" . These are just questions that come to my mind when I see these big premium differences. Life has taught me you don't get $800 worth of anything for $150.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in Indiana, I have gotten quotes from Dairyland & Geico. Both were twice what I am paying for Progressive. I got a quote from esurance which was a few dollars less, but I have a local agent for Progressive. I asked State Farm (where I have my home & auto's) about motorcycle, she started putting in the information, stopped and said there is no way I can even get close to what Progressive has, they are hard to beat. I haven't tried the regular Allstate, but might get a quote come renewal time.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

$250/year through Allstate, full coverage.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by georgewerr
Yes but Esurance does not insure motorcycles, I have esurance for my car but they would not insure my bike
I just did an online quote with Esurance for my '03 Ultra. I have two cars with them but they could not beat the price and coverage I am getting with National General for the bike.
I have Allstate on my home, my agent said he cannot even match Esurance price even tho they are the same company.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Allstate MC insurance. Good? Bad?