Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

My thoughts on bike insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I think it's a good thing when people want to shop around until they find the best deal because that's what I did. I also think that it's a good thing that when they find that best deal that they stay with it, that's what I did. When I bought my Springer 10 years ago, I got insurance from Progressive because they were the cheapest at that time. I just renewed with them and I just wanted to share this with you. Granted, my bike is now 10 years older, I am 10 years older and I also live in rural America where the insurance might be cheaper than living in a more populated area but when I started out with them I was paying $360/year for full coverage and now I am paying only $279/year. To each their own but I think I'll stay with them.
Just be sure you keep checking each year. Progressive bet the socks off State Farm and my agent (long time friend could do nothing) After couple years, for no reason other then I turned 66, they went up. Now he beats their original lowball. Go figure.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I have my 77 KZ650 with Gieco, $99 a year. Got my GF a 83 Honda Shadow, added it to the policy, still $99 year. We decided we wanted to do some dirt riding, found an 06 TW200, went up to $102 a year. A few months later found an 09 TW200 for me, went up to $114 a year. 4 bikes for $114 year. My sportster, the only one with full coverage, through progressive is $270 a year

Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

You guys best never move to Michigan, before the insurance company even gets started the State mandates $185 / unit per year to cover catastrophic events, Michigan is the only state in the union that still has no limit on disability coverage caused by an accident, the kicker, a bike insured has to pay for the coverage, but is disallowed in the benefit of the coverage.

So yes you have have to carry additional coverage to ensure your taken care of if one is unfortunate enough to be involved in an injury accident, which adds even more cost.

it costs me $1500 per year to insure a 2015 Ultra and we can only drive about 7-8 months per year given the long winters (I don't ride when its below 32*F).

Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Ruffinit
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well some states you must pay un-insured and under-insured coverage. You have no choice. And now that we have some states actually giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens more states are going to require it. I checked with Harley Davidson Insurance who I found is under written by Progressive. They and GEICO were within $5 of each other.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Just be sure you keep checking each year. Progressive bet the socks off State Farm and my agent (long time friend could do nothing) After couple years, for no reason other then I turned 66, they went up. Now he beats their original lowball. Go figure.
Thanks for the heads up. In less than 2 years I'll be 66 so we will see what happens.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:18 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSlim
is how they save you money is cut down your coverage and raise your deductibles.

you dont need UM (uninsured motorists ) you dont need the extra Medical coverage for you being at fault, you dont need being covered for the Under insured( why should you pay there bills?).

Geico pegged me for 1080 a year. Shopped around talked to one who told me what I needed and got my full coverage at 560 a year that satisfied me,the insurance company and harley finance.

Why was Geico so high? after the fact I compared the policies and yup Geico had me with things I didnt need and had me at 1000 deductibles. The UM and Under insured was over 400 a year alone.

Safeco which I guess works with Harley Finance provided my coverage at the time of sale of the bike at reasonable cost and I have the 500 deductibles. So Im happy.

You don't understand coverage. UM/UIM and med covers you, not the other guy. When you're injured in an accident and the other guy doesn't have coverage or doesn't carry enough, or its a hit/run UM/UIM kicks in for you. Med is typically no-fault meaning it doesn't matter who's fault it is, it will pay. It's that expensive because you're going to get hurt if you have an accident and as we all know accidents are pretty common. Also, your health insurance won't typically cover lost work etc but often med UM will.

Last edited by vistavette; 04-28-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Progressive has decided they don't want me anymore because I'm now divorced. Interestingly, I'm not the one with the 2 tickets in the last two years, and I own my own home. They raised the rate for my '11 SG from $500 to almost $700/year if I renew with them in June (which is when my ex and I will separate that insurance). My insurance agent found a couple of other places she works with for $420-$500/year.

I checked around and can get $250,000/500,000 coverage with all the needs and extras (UM/UIM, property damage, passenger liability, roadside assistance and just for fun, $5k for funeral expenses) for $373 thru Markel ($500 deductible). Heck, the biggest part of the premium is for UM/UIM. Of course I live in a state that doesn't mandate insurance, so I'm okay with that.

Waiting to hear from the insurance agent if her lowest bidder, Safeco, who is matching the coverage that I can get thru Markel, will give a further discount since I took an advanced riders course in late 2012.

Last edited by bogieb; 04-29-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:47 PM
roaddog007
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 tri-glide insurance

this is what happened to me with the insurance on my 2015 tri-glide. i started with a 2012 ultra-classic limited at 92.50 a month. i called th einsurance company to see what it would be for my 2015 tri-glide. the tri-glide was going to be 131.00w.t.f? i was given a pamplet from american adventureinsurance which is progressive. i called them and got insurance for 66.38 a month for the 2015 tri-glide. really?! of course i took it. why would,nt i? right. that i s less than half! of the other one. i just wanted ot share with you all on this. jim

Old 05-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

woops

Old 05-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
You guys best never move to Michigan, before the insurance company even gets started the State mandates $185 / unit per year to cover catastrophic events, Michigan is the only state in the union that still has no limit on disability coverage caused by an accident, the kicker, a bike insured has to pay for the coverage, but is disallowed in the benefit of the coverage.

So yes you have have to carry additional coverage to ensure your taken care of if one is unfortunate enough to be involved in an injury accident, which adds even more cost.

it costs me $1500 per year to insure a 2015 Ultra and we can only drive about 7-8 months per year given the long winters (I don't ride when its below 32*F).
I just got quoted $368.00 for full coverage ( all the extras blah, blah, blah ) from Dairyland on my 2009 Ultra .... almost $250.00 less than last year with Foremost ( AARP ) Allstate wanted the same as Foremost and I have two cars, a truck and two houses with them !!!

Quick Reply: My thoughts on bike insurance.