Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:12 AM
Millbank Mike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance - Advice

I bought a 2010 Road King last summer and rode it from New Jersey to Miami which was a fabulous experience to say the least as I stuck to the Parkway almost as far as I could.

I live in London but have an apartment in Miami and use my bike maybe 3 - 4 weeks a year and it is garaged in Miami.

The question I have is what kind and what value of insurance do you guys have because compared with the UK the insurance in the USA is extremely complicated. In the UK we pay for comprehensive and it covers everything and is quite cheap as my Heritage Softail in London costs me approx $250 per annum whereas my Road King in the US is costing me $1550 per annum.

I think that I may be misunderstanding what I am purchasing in the US, I am with Progressive.

What level of insurance is commonsense and what should I be asking for when my renewal is due in July.

Thx ..

Old 05-09-2015, 12:58 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

No offense but the best advice that I can give you is if you are with Progressive, I'd give them a call and tell them what you want and see what they have to say.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:00 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,963 Likes on 21,318 Posts

Dairyland. Even more of a discount if a H O G member and have taken the MSF Course.
I wouldn't run with any thing less than Full Coverage either.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Millbank Mike
Novice

Springer ... Lion

Thanks for the replies but the problem I have is I do not know what to request and what level of insurance to request ?. Also I am unsure just what Full Coverage is or includes.

I do not live in the US except for about a month to 6 weeks a year but want to ensure I am getting the correct coverage for the $. I have no issue with full coverage but just want to make sure I have it.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:14 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I understand, that's why I just thought that if you talked to your insurance agent and explained to them in the same way as you are telling us here that maybe they would be able to answer your questions and explain to you what you actually need.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:27 AM
big-e976
Cruiser

First thing i would do is raise your deductible on coll. and comp.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Millbank Mike
Novice

Hi Springer thanks for that ... not sure just how ethincal the insurance people are in the US as I dealt with progressive direct - I know that in the UK the advice would be more tailored to what they want to sell you rather than what you need.

Big-e ... will ask them come July and renewal time.

I am not wanting to skimp on insurance but just want good commonsense US based insurance as things like medical etc I do not fully understand and the cost of surgery (God forbid) is high in the US. Maybe I need also to look at my travel insurance and check to see if it covers me for accidental injury and hospital treatment whilst riding my bike.

The bike and cost of the replacement I guess is negligible compared with someone suing you for hitting them or injury.

Whilst most of my riding is done on long runs .. there are a lot of poor drivers in Miami and Florida - lots of old retired people with poor eyesight and judgement and also lots of South American who's driver ed is perhaps not as concise as in the US and UK so I worry a little when in Miami.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Rcartlid14
Intermediate

I live in Florida. I would recommend decreasing your property damage coverage as the risk of causing 100k in damage to a vehicle or property in a motorcycle accident is slim to none. I would also raise the deductibles on my collision and comprehensive. If you have health insurance you may not need the medical payments as that is expensive insurance for what it provides. I highly recommend you increase your uninsured motorist coverage. South Florida has a very high percentage of uninsured or under insured drivers. The state does not require that a
Driver carry bodily injury insurance and if they do it's likely only 10,000 worth. That amount will not compensate you with your current limit for pain and suffering and or lost wages.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:52 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Jeez - awfully high rates!
I would raise the deductibles to get the comp and collision down some, cut down on the property damage coverage, and jack the UM way up. If you get injured by someone else, and they have shitty or no insurance coverage, you're SOL with just $10K UM. See UM thread.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Millbank Mike
Novice
Default Insurance

What does stacked and un-stacked insurance mean ??

Originally Posted by warprints

Jeez - awfully high rates!
I would raise the deductibles to get the comp and collision down some, cut down on the property damage coverage, and jack the UM way up. If you get injured by someone else, and they have shitty or no insurance coverage, you're SOL with just $10K UM. See UM thread.

Quick Reply: Insurance - Advice