Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Ask, and Know What You're Buying!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Stephen D
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ask, and Know What You're Buying!

I'm hoping someone may be helped by my relating the consequences of not doing what I advise you to do in the title of this thread.
I didn't ask. I didn't know.
Two Saturdays ago I head-on collided with a big deer while riding my electra glide, and me and the bike ended up sliding about 30 and 75 ft., respectively. The bike was trashed, and obviously beyond economically feasible repair. I called the insurance company from the crash site, and they were predominantly interested in verifying my current email address, phone number, zip code, anything but helping a stunned crash survivor.
They said they don't have bike towing companies in their network, I'd have to arrange that myself. So I took care of that before the cop even pulled up. Later on at home I called them to ask about filing a claim and getting an estimate- they said I was on my own and would have to have the bike towed to some shop that would do an estimate, then they would be able to propose some settlement. I had it towed to my local Harley dealer.
It has been almost two weeks, and there has been no estimate done as of today.

Why??

1) The Harley shop has no incentive to spend time doing an estimate on a bike that will be considered a total loss, because they'll never make a dime on either parts or labor.

2) The insurance company has no reason to advocate for me, as that would only hasten a settlement.

I'm in ongoing limbo, and hopefully they'll consider the value of all the chrome and electronics that the bike had on it. My hopes are not high.

The takeaway: Ask if your insurance company has the infrastructure to handle motorcycle claims: Towing? Storage? Adjustors? My insurance company rhymes with Rate Barn.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:15 AM
wedjim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with progressive and after my accident, they were great. Very helpful and my claim was settled within 10 days. A total loss, accessories included.

The one word of caution though, coverage. My insurance only covered $10,000 in property damage, the other bike(who stopped in the hwy at a merge while I was looking for oncoming traffic. Luckily only at about 25 mph) was $17,000 in damage. His insurance company came after me for the difference. They wanted his bike to sell AND the money difference they covered. In other words they wanted to profit from the claim. All because I had insufficient coverage and never thought it would matter after 35 years without a single accident at fault.

My coverage is triple now, for $11 more a month. Yes, Eleven dollars. Check it.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Originally Posted by wedjim
I'm with progressive and after my accident, they were great. Very helpful and my claim was settled within 10 days. A total loss, accessories included.

The one word of caution though, coverage. My insurance only covered $10,000 in property damage, the other bike(who stopped in the hwy at a merge while I was looking for oncoming traffic. Luckily only at about 25 mph) was $17,000 in damage. His insurance company came after me for the difference. They wanted his bike to sell AND the money difference they covered. In other words they wanted to profit from the claim. All because I had insufficient coverage and never thought it would matter after 35 years without a single accident at fault.

My coverage is triple now, for $11 more a month. Yes, Eleven dollars. Check it.

I run 50k property and 100/300 additional bodily.. it's only like 30 extra bucks for the additional security.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:19 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I think I have 100,300,100. If you are a home owner you should have a lot of insurance so if you have an accident they can't come after your possessions like your home.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:07 AM
wedjim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly, the added coverage and security isn't very expensive at all. Yet insurance companies don't tell you and leave you with most of the liability. Basically collecting their fees with them having more protection from liability than you do. For $100 savings a year?

Ask questions, make sure you're well covered. They apparently like to avoid that.