Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Mule head RFFR
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

I had an accident where a car turned left crossing my lane I dumped the bike to avoid hitting the other car ie. I slide better than I bounce she was ticketed for the accident even though I didn't hit her will her insurance pay out

Old 09-16-2015, 06:48 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

YOU LAID YOUR BIKE DOWN. You do realize that rubber is a much better friction surface then shiny paint and chrome. Meaning if you didn't contact the other vehicle while sliding on your side you should have been able to stop using your brakes. So fess up here, you panic stopped and the back end came around and you went down. It is Ok, plenty of us do that. Truth is most likely her insurance will cover you. She should have yield to you it sounds like. I didn't mean to harsh putting some blame on you but it is how it is most times.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Mule head RFFR
1st Gear

May stop quicker on rubber but sliding = mainly road rash hitting head on you tend to get that weightless sensation before u land and break bones I will always lay a bike over before I hit something if I have the opportunity too I've done both and only Ben seriously injured when I went over bars after I hit head on and every msf class I have taken suggest laying down instead of playing chicken

Old 09-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Mule head RFFR
1st Gear

Oh and I didn't hit cause my front tire was in between her front and rear tire so throw the blame as u will the responding officer thought it was a good thing to do

Old 09-16-2015, 08:46 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wasn't there so I obviously don't have all the answers. Just sayin' if you slid on metal and didn't go through the bad cage you probably could have stopped prior to impact. In the heat of the moment without the ABS on my bike I would probably lock up also. I am not tryin' to be perfect here just sayin' we need to work on our skills of stopping not sliding.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

"But for her actions you would have not needed to lay it down". They will pay however they could asses some comparative negligence on your for most anything. Laws in your state will apply.

What state are you in? I work for an insurance company and see this stuff daily.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Stenchmonger
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. Depends upon the state you're in, and other things. If your company pays out, they may subrogate, but probably not. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I was in the same situation years ago I was driving a farm truck and an elderly gentleman pull out from gas station and stalled his pickup across the road infrount of me. I ran off the road and hit Store Storage Building
Worker at Station seen the accident was the only thing that saved me because I didn't make contact with him. His Insurance paid
If the other driver claim fault and you have it in the report you should be good.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:35 AM
vaxt
Cruiser

I'll bite. I'm sorry for your accident.

I have a question for you. Where and when do you practice laying the bike down at speed? I'm not sure how you can be able to do something in the heat of the moment and in a panic situation without some rigorous practice before hand.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:11 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Without knowing specific Tennessee law (I assume that's where MVA occurred), I am guessing that if the lady stuck around to get a ticket, her insurer will pay for damages. Keep in mind that some states require insurers not only to pay for repairs, but to pay for depreciated value of the vehicle after it's repaired. (That is, you won't be able to sell the bike for as much as you could have if it hadn't been in an accident. In some states, you are entitled to recover that diminished value.)
Now on to the off topic issue of laying the bike down .... first, if an MSF instructer told you that laying a bike down is the right thing to do, and the brass at MSF hears about it, your instructor may loose his certification.
Simple physics dictates that if your bike was able to stop prior to impact while sliding on its side, it will be able to stop before impact while upright IF you know how to use the brakes correctly. (Go ahead and challenge me on this, you ain't gonna win.) What makes you think you're going to flip over the bars? Practice correct technique for using the brakes, and that should never happen (unless you've already hit something).