Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Who is best

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Stenchmonger
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm an agent. I have been for 21 years. I used to be captive to 2 of the 5 largest. I write for a high risk company now.

Find a company and stay with that company. The best company to be with and stay with is Progressive. I know that if you are with them for a period of time, there are a lot of perks.

Understand that your policy is merely a contract. Use the contract, and you identify yourself merely as a higher risk, not somebody to have their rates "jacked up," just for giggles. Also understand that insurance companies are highly, highly regulated by state governments. Most don't make money on your premium. Most lose money on your premium. Massive losses equal higher rates that everyone has to carry. That's just how it is.

I was forced into placing a claim with Progressive this year when an expensive sport touring bike was dropped this summer. They were going to write the bike off. I didn't want that, and they worked with me to settle the claim. They paid all the parts, I performed all the labor.

I'm not an employee of Progressive, but I believe they are the best for bikes.

Last edited by Stenchmonger; 09-26-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:54 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I've had to change Companies every 15-20 yrs. I changed 3 yrs ago and saved 50% with more coverage, but they keep raising rates every year. Just the way they operate.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Id been with Progressive for a while, but when I bought my N1K they really wanted to jack up the premiums (really? Never had a motorcycle claim, and I'm over 60!). Went with GEICO.
As other posters say, rates can vary based on all sorts of things - do you own your home? What's your credit rating? Etc., Etc.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 PM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have my bikes, cars and house with Progressive and can't be happier. The one claim I had on the bike they were out to inspect it the day I made the claim. The whole process including repairs to the bike and a separate check for damaged gear was handled quickly and to my satisfaction.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I've got Progressive and I'm happy with them, aside from their roadside assistance which is contracted out through a third party. I've got my bike as a whole insured, additional coverage for my mods, carried contents and trip interruption and disappearing deductible.

I know a lot of people have dropped them to to rate increases but so far they've not hit me with that.
I've had Progressive for the past 6 years. From the beginning they have been more than fair with rate decreases every year. This year for some unknown reason they decided to raise my rates. I went on line and have since changed to Allstate. My rate is back to where it was before Progressive raised it. IMHO you have to double check EVERYONE, EVERY YEAR just to keep them honest. The days of loyalty to ANY insurance company are long gone! Good luck!!

Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

USAA bar none!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:13 AM
smegsjr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance

I have had Foremost and Progressive in the past, always got an increase every year. I switched to Dairyland a few years ago and every year my rate drops a little. I get the multibike discount, safety course discount, organizational discount (HOG, AMA), winter down time discount and a discount for no accidents or violations over the past 5 years. Full coverage in my 2009 UltraClassic, Liability on 3 additional bikes. Coverage is for 12 months even with the winter down time discount which allows me to use the bike all year but understanding that the opportunity to ride any of them is limited in the winter here in Connecticut. Cost for the Harley is around $300/year and $65 for each of the other 3

Old 10-01-2015, 06:16 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

You'll have to shop.

I've been with State Farm over 25 years, haven't had a claim in over 20. So when I bought my new bike I shopped, and State Farm was about 30% cheaper than everyone else. That is for me though, you just gotta look around.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:03 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Sooner or later you learn; insurance coverage isn't about the premium. Its about the claim experience. You tend to get what you pay for.

When you're young and insurance is mandatory, budgets small and premiums high, sure, you get what you need to get on the road and consequences be damned. At least 3rd parties will be covered if you screw up and if they've purchased their insurance from a decent outfit they'll avoid the claims Kabuki Dance by going through their own insurer who will pay, then subrogate the claim. Their insurer will do this without it affecting their client's premiums. As far as your damages go, with a good lawyer, you might get $0.60 on the dollar in time.

When you're older, premiums are lower and you're budget is more flexible; you're wiser to judge insurance outfits more on customer satisfaction than premiums. Unless I could verify a company's stellar customer satisfaction record with respect to claims, there is no way in hell I'd touch their 30% discounted policy. From what I've read from various sources, I wouldn't be surprised if there are lawyers who specialize in representing State Farm customers trying to collect on claims.

I'm Allstate all the way and can attest, based on experience, that if you have a claim, regardless of who is at fault, they're behind you all the way and instantly so. Their premiums aren't the lowest and I believe they are somewhat selective about who they underwrite but thats of little consequence to me.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:19 PM
hoakken
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just picked up my FLT after tour pack repair. Geico was at dealer the next day and wrote a check on the spot, when more damage found showed up the next day with same result. Very happy with them ( dealer was another story)

Quick Reply: Who is best