Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Huge Progressive Increase!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 AM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by critter85
I have Allied Insurance on my 2015 Road King and I pay $480 a year. Who has the best rates for riders. I don't have anything on my record. And the company I go through has given me great rates on my car truck and house.
If you have West Bend in your area, I would check with them. Like I said, they covered my new Street Glide Special for $165 compared to Progressives new rate of $859. Keep in mind that I also have my house and both cars with West Bend. I checked and Geico also was a lot lower than Progressive. Maybe Progressive should stop spending so much $$ on TV ads.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Thanks I look into that, and yes Flo is starting to get really old!

Old 10-28-2015, 01:30 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk
I bought a new 2005 Soft Tail Standard in 2005 and purchased Progressive Ins. I paid about $285 per yr. with $250 deductible. Because of an umbrella policy I have to max out the coverage and have to pay a little more. This week decided to trade up to a new 2015 Street Glide Special. Called Progressive and told them of and change which would take place in a couple of days. They said no problem that I have a 30 day grace period but they would give me a quote on the new bike. $859 per year!!!!! I live in Iowa so only ride about 7 months of the year. Couldn't believe it was correct and there had to be a mistake. Perfect driving record, no claims, great credit etc. Called my insurance guy who said he would check rates when he returned from vacation in a couple of days. Mean while I happen to find a web site with a free quote from Geico. $321 for a year. Figured that was more like it. The more I thought about Progressive, I figured they had to have made a mistake. Called back and talked to 2 difference people who came up with the same $859 price. Today my insurance guy returned home from vacation and priced insurance with West Bend. $165 for the year. Still can't figure out why there was such a large increase but happy with the new rate. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
No offense but not surprised that your insurance went up because you went from a 2005 Standard in 2005 to a new 2015 Street Glide. I feel the same would probably happen to me also if I went from my 2005 Springer to a much newer bike. Also, it does pay to shop around if a person isn't satisfied with what they are getting and I see that you did that, so good for you cause that's the name of the game, shopping around till you find the best deal for ya.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:45 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

I just checked Geico, they are a good 20% higher than my current progressive policy.
I have home owners and two brand new vehicles as well as my enclosed trailer through AAA. Their insurance was through the roof for my bike.
Progressive is still my best deal.
You guys are lucky...In Michigan, you pay 185 per year for any vehicle due to our catastrophic claims insurance BS.
Then you pay insurance on top of that... I'm lucky to be approaching middle age, great credit and clear driving history..or I'd be workin like a fool just to drive and ride.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:59 AM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Progressive was lower than Geico and GA Farm Bureau for me, 43/good credit/clean history. Progressive came in at $400 a year while everyone else was at $800+

All I have with progressive is the bike. Autos are with Geico as they were the lowest with a 17 year old driver.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:49 PM
WillPwr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a broker, I can tell you that when it comes to insurance rates... You will see that many companies come up with very different figures. Some companies are stronger in certain areas with their rates than others and even in different states a companies discounts can be higher.

Combining your lines of coverage with one company is the best way to maximize your over all discount but when it comes to motorcycles, some companies are simply just not competitive.

Here in Los Angeles, Foremost and similar companies will charge you a grand or more per 6 months where State Farm can offer the same policy for around $400 per 6 months.

Coverage options are pretty general from company to company but for premiums, you just have to put in the time to find the magical combination that produces a low rate.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:19 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Progressive Full coverage on my recently purchased 2011 FXDC is quite a bit cheaper than the liability only coverage I had on my 1500 Goldwing. Go figure! I have four bikes on the policy which in the long run saves a lot on my rates as a couple only run $79 per year for just liability.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:10 AM
harley8
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Progressive

When I was shopping for my new Rushmore earlier this year, I called Progressive to get a quote to transfer my current (at the time it was what I was riding)Softail policy. The quote was about twice the cost I was currently paying. My dealer suggested Dairyland and set me up with a quote--way less $$$.

Does anyone use Dairyland and are they as good are better than Progressive? Do they raise your rates after switching to them?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 AM
harley8
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone ever use USAA for bike insurance? I have been told they may use Progressive to underwrite their policies?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:43 AM
EZRider76
Cruiser
Location: Aspen, Colorado-living in a trailer, 4 part time jobs & a 15 yr old HD
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Price increase on insurance

Originally Posted by smithk
.... Still can't figure out why there was such a large increase but happy with the new rate. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Yup, same deal. Switched from Progressive to Geico

Quick Reply: Huge Progressive Increase!!!!