Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Huge Progressive Increase!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:22 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If your rates go up with any insurance company it pays to just get some on-line quotes from different insurers.

I had my bike and cars with Progressive and they raised the rates on the cars only (no claims or tickets). I got some on-line quotes and ending switching the cars to Geico saving a couple hundred dollars yearly. The bike I left with Progressive because none of the quotes were cheaper. The internet makes switching simple.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:37 PM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk
I bought a new 2005 Soft Tail Standard in 2005 and purchased Progressive Ins. I paid about $285 per yr. with $250 deductible. Because of an umbrella policy I have to max out the coverage and have to pay a little more. This week decided to trade up to a new 2015 Street Glide Special. Called Progressive and told them of and change which would take place in a couple of days. They said no problem that I have a 30 day grace period but they would give me a quote on the new bike. $859 per year!!!!! I live in Iowa so only ride about 7 months of the year. Couldn't believe it was correct and there had to be a mistake. Perfect driving record, no claims, great credit etc. Called my insurance guy who said he would check rates when he returned from vacation in a couple of days. Mean while I happen to find a web site with a free quote from Geico. $321 for a year. Figured that was more like it. The more I thought about Progressive, I figured they had to have made a mistake. Called back and talked to 2 difference people who came up with the same $859 price. Today my insurance guy returned home from vacation and priced insurance with West Bend. $165 for the year. Still can't figure out why there was such a large increase but happy with the new rate. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Progressive raised the rate on my softail this year for no apparent reason, and also gave me a similar quote to yours on my 2014 Street glide special. I switched both bikes to allstate, however still playing close to $800 for the 14 SGS

Old 11-07-2015, 06:05 PM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk
I bought a new 2005 Soft Tail Standard in 2005 and purchased Progressive Ins. I paid about $285 per yr. with $250 deductible. Because of an umbrella policy I have to max out the coverage and have to pay a little more. This week decided to trade up to a new 2015 Street Glide Special. Called Progressive and told them of and change which would take place in a couple of days. They said no problem that I have a 30 day grace period but they would give me a quote on the new bike. $859 per year!!!!! I live in Iowa so only ride about 7 months of the year. Couldn't believe it was correct and there had to be a mistake. Perfect driving record, no claims, great credit etc. Called my insurance guy who said he would check rates when he returned from vacation in a couple of days. Mean while I happen to find a web site with a free quote from Geico. $321 for a year. Figured that was more like it. The more I thought about Progressive, I figured they had to have made a mistake. Called back and talked to 2 difference people who came up with the same $859 price. Today my insurance guy returned home from vacation and priced insurance with West Bend. $165 for the year. Still can't figure out why there was such a large increase but happy with the new rate. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
For some reason Progressive doesn't like Street Glides. I went from a 2012 Fat Bob to a 14 SGS and Progressive wanted more than double. Both have a 103 so no increased displacement effecting the rates. Switched to Geico and am paying a little less than I paid for the Fat Bob for the same coverage.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:13 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't insure anything with two wheels for less than $500 a year anywhere in Canada most people pay around twice that and we only get 8 months of riding a year at best. That is with years of a perfect record and other vehicles insured with the same company.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:47 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I count at least 9 components to bike insurance:
Liability - bodily injury
Liability - property damage
Medical
Uninsured Motorist - bodily injury
Uninsured - property
Comprehensive including Theft
Collision (repair own bike)
Towing
Loss Of Income.

If you sell/trade from an old bike to a new one, same type,
the only portions that should go up are Collision and Comprehensive/Theft because the new bike will cost more to repair or replace. All the other parts should stay the same, right?

The following users liked this post:
joes bar and grill (06-07-2016)
Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 AM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
I count at least 9 components to bike insurance:
Liability - bodily injury
Liability - property damage
Medical
Uninsured Motorist - bodily injury
Uninsured - property
Comprehensive including Theft
Collision (repair own bike)
Towing
Loss Of Income.

If you sell/trade from an old bike to a new one, same type,
the only portions that should go up are Collision and Comprehensive/Theft because the new bike will cost more to repair or replace. All the other parts should stay the same, right?
That is what I was expecting, but not what happened for me. The SGS was 30 some percent more expensive, but the Uinsured BI and BI more tjan doubled while the collision and comprehensive where only trivially higher.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:18 AM
dynoflyer
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by harley8
anyone ever use USAA for bike insurance? I have been told they may use Progressive to underwrite their policies?
I have USAA for three cars, two of them new and one in Denver for my daughter, also the house and a '14 SGS. Progressive underwrites the bike which went from $550 to $435 when I renewed. USAA saved me $1800 a year when I switched everything from Liberty Mutual two years ago. Worth it.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 PM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

I pay over 2 grand a year full coverage and never had an accident ever. and that is going with our government run for liability where we have no choice and the cheapest i could find for the rest. If i went through our government insurance for all it is close to 3 grand a year.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:51 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by missionwop
I pay over 2 grand a year full coverage and never had an accident ever. and that is going with our government run for liability where we have no choice and the cheapest i could find for the rest. If i went through our government insurance for all it is close to 3 grand a year.
No offense but to me, that sounds like a giant rip off.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:04 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

USAA use to write their own policies - now, no longer does bikes. I tried Progressive here in Michigan, they were much higher that my policies with Allstate.

Quick Reply: Huge Progressive Increase!!!!