Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Huge Progressive Increase!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:17 AM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsoda
For some reason Progressive doesn't like Street Glides. I went from a 2012 Fat Bob to a 14 SGS and Progressive wanted more than double. Both have a 103 so no increased displacement effecting the rates. Switched to Geico and am paying a little less than I paid for the Fat Bob for the same coverage.
I agree that Progressive just don't want to cover Street Glides for some reason. I expected to pay more for a 2015 Street Glide Special over my 2005 Softtail Standard but when it was all over, I now pay $165 for my new SGS with West Bend down from $285 for my Softtail with Progressive. The only coverage I changed was my deductible which I changed from $250 to $500 which saved a little but not as much as you would think. I also have to carry max coverage on all areas because of an umbrella policy. Another reason that West Bend gave me a deal is that I have the house, cars and umbrella through them. In the process of checking to see if I can also lower my boat cost which at the time is with Progressive.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I just dumped Progressive for my bikes (9 years no wrecks or claims) and Mercury for my car and got a single policy from Geico. It was far less expensive.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Reddog718
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I just switched from Progressive to Allstate and will save over 30%.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

USAA and my rate went down last year with progressive..go figure!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I was using Progressive for everything. When I bought my Limited they gave me a CRAZY high rate. No accidents, no claims, no tickets, and very high credit rating, but they still wanted over $900 a year!

My buddy who also lives in Florida (same zip code as me) was paying under $300 a year with Progressive but on an older bike. We are the same age with same history. I used the limits on his policy and had them re-quote it.

It only went down to just under $600 a year, still too much. I am still looking and getting prices but some companies won't just do a stand-alone on the bike, they want your car, or your home and cars on same policy.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:00 AM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
I was using Progressive for everything. When I bought my Limited they gave me a CRAZY high rate. No accidents, no claims, no tickets, and very high credit rating, but they still wanted over $900 a year!

My buddy who also lives in Florida (same zip code as me) was paying under $300 a year with Progressive but on an older bike. We are the same age with same history. I used the limits on his policy and had them re-quote it.

It only went down to just under $600 a year, still too much. I am still looking and getting prices but some companies won't just do a stand-alone on the bike, they want your car, or your home and cars on same policy.
I know what you mean by companies wanting to cover all your vehicles and house. Believe it or not, it is not that hard to change. A couple of years ago my insurance company went under and I had to shop and switch everything over. Very easy. Once the new coverage is in place, contact your old company and they send you a refund check. You might want to check Geico, seems like a lot of guys have good luck with them. I have everything with West Bend and am very happy. Good luck!!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:45 PM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a 2015 road glide. Progressive renewal 1300.00
Just signed up at geico after reading this thread for 695.00

Old 11-22-2015, 12:01 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Huge Progressive Increase!!!!

Progressive needs to pay Flo for all those commercials!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Hog happy
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You would think so but I went from a 2011 Street glide to a 2016 Road Glide with same engine but with linked brakes so a safer ride. Everything went up. Not just comp and collision. $200 a year more. My agent can't explain it either. New safer bike with same coverages and more money for everything.

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
I count at least 9 components to bike insurance:
Liability - bodily injury
Liability - property damage
Medical
Uninsured Motorist - bodily injury
Uninsured - property
Comprehensive including Theft
Collision (repair own bike)
Towing
Loss Of Income.

If you sell/trade from an old bike to a new one, same type,
the only portions that should go up are Collision and Comprehensive/Theft because the new bike will cost more to repair or replace. All the other parts should stay the same, right?

Old 11-24-2015, 01:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Ive been with Nationwide for 20 some yrs.. seems like I've had a couple raises in the last 5 yrs.. still the bike is only a hair over $400 now. with upper limit full coverages and $500 deducts

Quick Reply: Huge Progressive Increase!!!!