Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance companies

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:59 PM
sprint07
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

SecondGear, I see you are in Pittsburgh. I currently have Rider Insurance that is due for a renewal in the next week or two. A year ago I bough a second bike, a leftover 14 Ultra Classic. Two weeks ago I traded my 09 Ultra Classic on a 14 Limited and made the update with my Rider policy. Got the renewal notice with the updated bike. Yeah, ok, I understand the $140 increase because of the new bike, BUT there was an additional $400 added to the policy.

Called Rider Insurance last week and they claim that they had a very high rate of claims in Pennsylvania and requested and received at rate increase going forward.

So, I'm shopping Geico and Progressive. Full coverage with high limited and the premium for BOTH bikes is back at about $750 per year. Same amount that I was paying for the 09 and 14 with Rider before the bike change and their rate increase.

Looks like it's going to be Geico for me going forward. I have been clean with no claims of any sort and Rider's customer service is very good. Just can't swallow that extra $400 for no reason.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:17 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

If I recall, there was a thread on insurance companies about a year ago. You might want to spend some time with the search function on this forum as I remember a lot of posts and different experiences shared. A lot of info on that thread, I learned a couple of things reading through it. I know search function on this forum can take some time as it can suck to use sometimes, but it'd be worth looking for if you found it.

I've been with state farm over 20 years and no claims over 20 years. Nobody ever comes close for me on value. I also have multi vehicle discount, so YMMV. Everyone's experience may be different so I'd suggest spending some time shopping companies and as others have suggested ask a lot of questions.

Once you make your choice and purchase insurance, be sure to shop around again from time to time as your best deal today might not be your best deal in the future.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:07 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up going with Allstate but I made a painful error. Geico reported my insurance termination to the state. The mistake I made was there there was a 2 day (over the weekend) gap. I now have send in signed affidavits that the bike was not driven during the gap in insurance.

Originally Posted by sprint07
Called Rider Insurance last week and they claim that they had a very high rate of claims in Pennsylvania and requested and received at rate increase going forward.
My I had Riders for my first year and paid right around $500 for complete coverage. The next year the rate went to $650 so I shopped around and ended up with Geico, again for around $480. But the next year Geico went up too. So I've moved to Allstate.

I almost went back to Riders. I checked out rates on the web site and they looked good but to get the high coverage it said I needed to speak with an agent so I called. He then said the rate could not honored because it included a 'transfer discount' since I was coming from Geico but since I was a former customer that wouldn't apply. So the quote was 10% off.

That's when I realized they all must give you a 'first year discount' to get you hooked and hope you're not too pissed in the second year.

I have USAA for my cars but their pricing wasn't good at all when I checked a few years ago or I'd throw my business that way.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:09 AM
JACKO1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an overseas visitor fly/buy/ride & ship bike home, progressive are the only hassle free company and don't want you to jump through all types of hoops, policy is transferable back to Australia none of the others will do this & doesn't cost a arm and a leg. On line or phone up if you need clarification. They don't require you to have USA MDL they are happy with an international one. Never had a claim so cant comment on that side of the deal ?

Old 03-27-2016, 04:13 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

i just went thru aarp for new insurance. i saved over $300 compared to allstate

Old 03-27-2016, 04:25 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Allstate was best for me, I have my house and cars insured there as well. And my agent rides a Harley.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

Try Dairyland.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:24 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,623 Likes on 5,178 Posts

Looking for new one now. I have had Progressive for 10 years on both bikes. They just sent me a thank you for 10 years with them but the rates have crept up. A quick GEICO on line quote looks interesting but I need to check it out in detail. Loyalty to a company does not pay anymore.
Last couple years I have been to lazy to check in to a new company. When I purchased the 2016 I thought the increase was excessive.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have Foremost, since 2011. Full Coverage paid cash for bike. Every year their price goes up. No tickets or accidents. $547.00 a year. Sportster 883, 63 years old. Seems like to much to me.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,623 Likes on 5,178 Posts

Talked with agent. Yea I am still someone that uses one. He will find me a better deal by Thursday or I will. Time to move away from Progressive for me.

Quick Reply: Insurance companies