Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance companies

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 AM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tdkkart-$233.65 that's 6 months fee correct?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Almost all insurance companies base their rates on credit ratings, so each individual will get a different price even in they are insuring the same scooter. Because I live in Michigan my complaint is about the automatic payment to the "Catastrophic Account" that applied to every insurance policy in the state, for my bike it is $150 extra right off the top. Individuals have tried to F.O.I.A. the independent managing group in charge of the fund, but it has been deemed to be exempt from the request to release any information concerning the account. No one knows how much is currently in this account, nor how it is being managed. If it weren't for the charge I would be paying $284/yr. with a $500 deductible.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage (UMBI)

Uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage (UMPD)

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/un...sured-coverage

These get very confusing (to me). Example if one has UMBI and they already pay for medical through work etc, they are double covered so you're paying twice for the same coverage.

I'm free to stand corrected on this, but a few buddies tout "I have uninsured/underinsured" but aren't always quite clear on which specifically they have or what it covers. Plus, some providers don't have these in all states!

Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse6901
USAA all the way...
Just got off the phone with USAA. Progressive is there underwriter.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by eichacsj
Yep, and they were almost twice what I get from GEICO for the exact same coverage.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Credit scores are only one of many factors that influence insurance rates- it's more complicated than trying to figure out air fares.

Credit Score, type of bike, zip code, coverage, age, gender, driving record, and more all influence it.

And every company places different importance on these factors, so what is true for one person at one company isn't likely to be true for others.

On my first bike, Progressive (who I also insure my car and boat) were very reasonable. Then I get the Limited and the quote was substantially higher.

So I switched to GEICO for the Harley, to the tune of hundreds of dollars per year less premium for the same coverage.

YMWV so it pays to shop around till you can't stand it anymore.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Harglide
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyoone else using dairyland?

Originally Posted by Ds50r
My dairyland was 295 full coverage on my 06 softail
I am shopping for cheaper insurance for a piece of mind. I currently have progressive, and am finding out that Dairyland, is the cheapest yet, (Markel even cheaper) with good quality. I also spoke with a Geico person today, that almost had me sold on their insurance for the same coverage, for $495 a year, still TOO expensive for my taste!
I have been paying $569 for progressive, and do not like the customer service along with where, and who they support! Oh, and Dairyland per year, $370. A great price. Markel $358.
SO, does anyone else have dairyland? I had them years ago, and times have changed. I cannot remember why I stopped with them. It may have had something to do with the distance to Texas. Just don't remember....
Please do share if anyone else has any pro's or con's with Dairyland....
MARKEL is another company I am looking at, and it is down to the both of these mentioned. Looking for advise on Markel, especially.
Thanx.....

Last edited by Harglide; 05-11-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: had to add more
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Harglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by eichacsj
It really sucks, because there are no other underwriters for USAA, as I too, am a member! I mean, I do not like progressive, but, am now looking at Dairyland. I posted earlier, and wanted to know others experience with this company.........

Old 05-14-2016, 10:26 AM
bigsmos
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had nationwide when they stole my fatboy. Took care of me but rate went way up. Went to Riders for the street glide. Hit a wood block on the turnpike at 80mph last year. Had to replace 21in front wheel and repair and paint front fender. Renewal price went up $50 for the year. Just remember Riders doesn't cover medical bills only the bike.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Harglide
Advanced

I went with Dairyland yesterday, and saved $300 plus, of what progressive was ripping me off with! Good riddance to progressive! Never again.

Quick Reply: Insurance companies