Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance companies

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 AM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Insurance companies

I'd due to renew and Geico has raised prices on me. I have no tickets, no accidents so I'm shopping around.

I had read that Riders was a good choice and I used them several years ago. In my second year with them they went up $100 for the same policy. Now they seem to have come back down. What bugs me is that the Website quotes me a price which includes a "transfer discount" of 10% since I currently have Geico but when I try to buy the policy they say they have to remove that because I was a customer with them before. "You only get that transfer discount once".

Progressive - Geico - they all seem the same.

Who do we like? Who should I avoid?

I'm going with the largest policy and as high a deductible as possible. I view this as catastrophic insurance. Fender benders are on me.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 AM
JHP
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

...check out "Markel" Ins. Co.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone insuring with progressive needs to do some research on the owner. Soros is a flaming liberal and major contributor to the dumbocratic party. I wouldn't give them a nickel. Geico is who I use...and I have to be honest, I switched to Allstate on my car a while back because of a lower rate. Well the "lower rate" lasted about 6 months and then I found myself paying more than what I had been with Geico. When I called them...I spent an hour + on the phone just trying to talk to someone about my concerns. I had no accidents...no tickets...uber clean driving record.

There is something to be said for customer service and Geico has never failed me in that regard. You can get a live body on the phone almost immediately and if whoever answers can't give you what you need, they will get someone on who can.

Several years ago I had parked my new car at the airport and it got clobbered in a hail storm. Geico was stellar about getting the damage assessed as they were onsite at the repair facility. They got a rental car brought to me onsite while I was there, and had the car fixed like new with zero problems. If they are a few bucks higher I will pay it...because they have shown that customer service is a priority. Will not switch for a cheaper rate to a company that has customer service as a second thought.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Most insurance gives you something in one place, then takes something in another place.

When I shop, I find it hard to find two company's that offer the EXACT same coverage to compare.

Like health insurance, it only gets more expensive as time goes on. Getting to be that people are finding their insurance monthly bill is close to their monthly loan payment.

Now if your bike is paid for like me, I put the interest I saved aside for breakdown and accidents aside and self insure like you seem to be doing.

Here in Florida, the state does not require insurance so my policy is only $24.00 per month full coverage with high amounts and $500.00 deductible. However car insurance is a little on the high side. I have State Farm. Oh, and my credit score is low due to not borrowing money for quite some time.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

When my GEICO MC policy came up for renewal this year there was a modest premium increase so I spent an evening doing online quotes, and GEICO still came up the cheapest- for me. I got quotes from Dairyland, Markel, Progressive, AllState, and others I can't recall. None were even close to GEICO.
Your mileage will vary.

I still have Progressive for my boat and Cars, by the way that CEO from Progressive who donated to "questionable" causes hasn't been affiliated with the company for over 15 years. So I don't really care anymore about that. It's old outdated news to me anyway.

I've not dealt with GEICO for claims, but I've dealt with progressive on several car claims (Teenage son!) and they have always been very easy to deal with. And when you call their home office/corp HQ, you don't get "Peggy".

Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 AM
B00001
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A family member had the HD Insurance, he had an accident, they cut a check for a new bike PLUS all his chrome "add ons". Might be worth a call.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:13 AM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I live in MA and have not had an accident or ticket in 15-20 years.

My cheapest quotes are as follows for a 2016 FLTRXS valued at $25,000

$775 fire and theft with $1000deductible
$1000 fire and theft with $250.500,000 un/underinsured $1000 deductible
$2400 fire, theft, and collision with $1000 deductible.

I can not afford to insure my motorcycle for collision.

The following users liked this post:
Just Me (03-09-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 10:22 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Had 2 cars, 2 homes and the bike with State Farm, just pulled the cars and homes from SF and went with a local highly rated NY company, HUGE savings! Kept the bike with SF, full coverage with 1000 deductible about $420 a year on my '14 Limited. Was with SF for many years and very happy with them but couldn't overlook the savings with the new company. Good Luck...

Old 02-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

If you're a member of AARP their deal with Foremost Ins got me the best price for max coverage I could find here in NY. - about 600 a year.

I've never had a claim, so I can't say if they're gonna be good or bad, but they do get good reviews so I thought it was worth it.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thealien
I live in MA and have not had an accident or ticket in 15-20 years.

My cheapest quotes are as follows for a 2016 FLTRXS valued at $25,000

$775 fire and theft with $1000deductible
$1000 fire and theft with $250.500,000 un/underinsured $1000 deductible
$2400 fire, theft, and collision with $1000 deductible.

I can not afford to insure my motorcycle for collision.

Holy ****!!! Here's my State Farm policy coverages on my 2015 CVO Road Glide
Does not include any medical.

Liability / Bodily Injury / Property Damage
$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident / $100,000 each accident
Premium
$37.38
Coverage Details
Comprehensive Deductible
$1,000
Premium
$20.07
Coverage Details