Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Wife wrecked Iron, What to expect from insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 03:20 PM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
The bike should be the least of concern to you. I'll be the first and say GO GET A LAWYER!

Your wife's health is more important than ANYTHING else. All insurance companies will try to get out of paying as much as they can EVEN YOUR OWN! Let someone with motorcycle insurance claims experience handle your end of the accident. Those that would claim that attorneys are nothing but a bunch of thieves have probably never needed one! Because of your wife's personal injuries, I strongly make this recommendation.
I'm with him. I wouldn't give a damn about the bike especially an iron (no offense) I'd be more worried about my ol lady's injuries than a bike. I'd probably need a lawyer as I would probably have beaten the driver within an inch of his life. Bikes can be replaced, my significant others dexterity health and life matter more to me than a hunk of metal

Old 06-27-2016, 04:05 AM
CatWoman
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my $.02...I was hit on my 93 fxdl (had just put my brand new solo Mustang seat on the bike that morning). The woman that hit me was making left turn out of a parking lot. I saw her look my way, then she swung her head...needless to say, I new the next possible scenario...so I took the most evasive action...I would have been fine, but she gunned it to get through the green light I had just come through. She crushed my lower leg between her bumper (passenger front corner) and my nose cone. This was Dec 23, 2014...I go to the Doctor (new one) on Wednesday...he specializes in non-union fractures, as mine has not healed in 18 months.

I explained all of the above so the rest will make sense...I never expected this broken leg would carry on this incredibly long, and it's no where near done. Get your wife completely checked out AND ligament damage takes a long time to heal, so it's not done until SHE is as close to 100% as she will ever be.

My bike--93 fxdl...was totaled. One interesting item on the need to replace list...that brand new seat. When I got the bike back (bought it back for $100) the rub mark on the seat was easily wiped off. I was going no more than 15 mph but she was going at least 40...but I wasn't to worried as I do 99% of the work on my old bikes. There were some scratches and a few bent and broken parts but for the most part, she is fine.

The woman that hit me sells insurance for a living (think State Farm insurance) BUT she had the bare minimum insurance in this fine state of Arizona--$15,000. While in the hospital (5 days) I hired an attorney. It's good I did. See, my two Harleys are insured by one company and my SUV (and and other small bike) is under another. Had I not hired the attorney, I would have learned the insurances can be stacked. The woman, had nothing, so she got off scott free (I ride by her nice shiny, repaired SUV frequently as her office is 4 blocks from my place, so yes, I am bitter). We collected her $15k, as well as the max from my one insurance and I'm hoping we don't max out the other insurance.

So, hire an attorny and have your wife checked out with the understanding this won't be closed until she is back to healthy, as much as she can be.

For everyone else, stack your insurance. Yes, I get a discount by having everything under one insurance BUT how much do you save? Not anywhere close to the extra amount I will be paid with the second company.

The Dyna is a back on the road...bought her red in color with front controls, but now she has mid controls and is black, plus she still has that very cool (and new looking) seat.
CatWoman

Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 PM
skooli
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the dealer quoted 12k to fix the bike. It's only worth maybe 8 or 9. So now we're waiting for the insurance company to tell us what they plan to do. My wife is walking again although very gingerly. Her wrist is sprained but the swelling has finally gone down and she can hold things with that hand. The doctors have X-rayed her several times and still see no broken bones, but we will continue to keep an eye on her injuries. We don't have a copy of the police report yet because we had to go out of town, but we should have it in the next day or two. She says she's done riding though. I may get her a dirt bike and see how things go. Who knows. Anyway, thanks for all the replies. We're still keeping the lawyer idea in mind and hope the insurance company doesn't lowball the hell out of us.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:36 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Stacking insurance and waiting to resolve claim until completely healed ....
Not all states and not all policies allow stacking. Louisiana, for instance, has an anti-stacking law.
When you are injured in an accident, there is a time limitation for filing suit (not just making a claim) - often one year from the date of the injury. Once a suit is filed, the insurer generally pushes to have the matter settled or tried. In order to recover for future damages and expenses, you will have to prove that, more likely than not, you will incur those damages and expenses in the future. Often times cases go to trial while the injured person is still treating. That said, don't wait until everyone is completely healed to hire a lawyer (if you go that route) because even if you've been dealing with the insurer, if the statute of limitations runs, you're SOL.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:47 AM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
1- Lawyer up right away
2- Stop posting anything at all about it on this site and any others. Delete this post and if you have something on Facebook, Twitter or any other sites delete those posts as well

Old 07-03-2016, 09:37 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Lawyerup and do it today, injuries have lasting effects.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 07-03-2016 at 09:43 AM.