Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Wife wrecked Iron, What to expect from insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM
skooli
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wife wrecked Iron, What to expect from insurance

My wife was hit by a truck on her Iron two days ago. She's okay. No broken bones, but she does have some ligament damage in her leg and wrist. Now we're wondering what to expect from our insurance. The insurance company is taking the bike today to get a quote for repairs. I saw the bike yesterday and it looks like it's not that bad. It needs bars, a tank, a right rear turn signal, foot pegs, right side hand controls, and exhaust. They're taking the bike to the Dealer. So my question is, should we have suggested they take it to an independent HD mechanic, or does it matter? I have had friends suggest taking to the indy and we put on any aftermarket parts that would be within the limits of the repair costs, and that the dealer won't do that. It seems silly to replace things like handlebars and exhaust with stock parts that are just as expensive as aftermarket improvements. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Touten2
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 82 Posts

It's been a long time since I've had an insurance claim. In the old days, take it to the dealer for the highest estimate possible, then once the check clears, do what you want.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:52 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

You'll get an estimate for the damages. The insurance company can't tell who which shop to use, that's your choice. It's your money, so if the dealer won't work with you take the check and go elsewhere.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Have you talked to your insurance agent about that? Laws on this probably vary by state, and possibly policy terms, but it's usually the intent to make you whole again- putting your bike back to the same state it was in before it was damaged in the crash. Who knows, you may make a case if the indy and the parts he installs are cheaper than the shop and parts at the HD dealer. I'd start by talking to your agent and see what may be possible, then go from there. Glad your wife wasn't hurt worse, trust that she's been to the doctor- who knows what if any injury fallout she could have in the future from this.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:03 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Screw the bike!

The bike should be the least of concern to you. I'll be the first and say GO GET A LAWYER!

Your wife's health is more important than ANYTHING else. All insurance companies will try to get out of paying as much as they can EVEN YOUR OWN! Let someone with motorcycle insurance claims experience handle your end of the accident. Those that would claim that attorneys are nothing but a bunch of thieves have probably never needed one! Because of your wife's personal injuries, I strongly make this recommendation.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Make sure the frame is checked for straightness or else you will be throwing good money away.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Make sure the frame is checked for straightness or else you will be throwing good money away.
This is important. Same goes for the forks, damn near impossible to tell by visual inspection. They need to pull the front end and install a jig to check alignment. Bikes are not cars, if they go down hard all sorts of stuff can go bad. Motors and transmissions can get wrecked if the shafts get pushed in, cylinders can get whacked, etc, etc. That said, the highest value you are going to get is from the Dealership. Between the retail costs for replacement parts and their hourly rate, that is where you want it to be.

After you get the check, as others have said take it anywhere you want and move forward. I agree, an incident usual means some upgrades or custom parts, why put stock back on, same amount of effort. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:23 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

If it's the other persons fault, expect to be reimbursed in the next few months...not weeks.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

They will probably total the bike. I'm a little surprised they are even going to bother with appraising it for repairs. I bet they will just cut you a check for the value of the bike.

Which would be fine with me. Like someone else has said, there can be a lot of things that went wrong that nobody seen, and you will have to deal with a potentially unsafe and a mechanical nuisance of a bike for your wife.

Last edited by Mid-Night-Rider; 06-24-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Has your wife been riding long? Does she went to get back on the horse?

Quick Reply: Wife wrecked Iron, What to expect from insurance