Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Motorcycle insurance & MSF? Check your insurance co. or state.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by us1fountain
I took both the Abate ARC2 and a MSF ARC2 this yr, and just this weekend took a more advanced course thru TotalControl. (Been riding over 40 yrs)
Bike is insured thru State Farm, I get zero discounts for any type of course. But I took the courses to better myself, so not disappointed with no discounts
Same here. I have State Farm, and when I asked about the riders course discount, I got: "Yeah, we don't do that".

Anyway, I take a course every year for a refresher and to keep my skills up. Luckily, here in Idaho we have a two full day, 16 hour class that is a condensed version of Motor Officer training, and it's taught by two Motor Officer Instructors.

$295. They're effing giving it away. We had a guy who rode to Idaho from Iowa just to take the class.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,831 Likes on 21,296 Posts

Been with Dairyland for as long as I remember and had a very slight $3-4 dollar increase this year.

As far as discounting your MSF class I'd dispute that if I were you.
You don't have to take defensive driving in a cage do you every so often?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 AM
Radsdad
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had GEICO since I don't know when. Never an issue. Towing to the nearest dealer is no charge (used it twice). Prompt in claims satisfaction. Cost is the same as others (I check annually). As for MSF, it's good for life, just like drivers Ed.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
UltraLanco
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msf

Insurance is always a pain. I am an MSF instructor in PA. The course is free here for PA residents, and I believe a minimal fee for out of state individuals. In PA, your MSF certification card is only valid for 3 years. Between curriculum changes, and wanting individuals to stay fresh with their safety skills, it is recommended to renew the course every 3 years in addition to moving on to the BRC2 and/or ARC, hence the validity period. We as instructors have to do at least 2 classes per year to keep our instructor certification.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:15 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Radsdad
I've had GEICO since I don't know when. Never an issue. Towing to the nearest dealer is no charge (used it twice). Prompt in claims satisfaction. Cost is the same as others (I check annually). As for MSF, it's good for life, just like drivers Ed.
I wish I had free towing to the nearest dealer.
In NM, that could be up to 200 miles.

I got a card from Merkel stating that they offered declared value insurance.
My EG just turned old enough to drink and I don't think any insurance company would pay me much for it unless I have declared value.
In another 4 years I can put it on my Haggerty policy and get a really great rate plus they only charge for liability on one vehicle regardless of how many vehicles are covered by the policy.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 AM
chasgrips45
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a difference a year makes. So I'm insured with Progressive. In Western N.C . I was paying $178 pr year . 2013 ,I get a speeding in my truck.70 in 55. Premiums go up to $387. ok so I figure I`ll try geico I owe no allegiance to Progressive. Same coverage $228. With Geico. So I say let`s go. Get up to payment for Geico policy, Sales rep says looks like you ticket was in 2014. I tell them that`s wrong ticket in 2013 . So the the rep says it was in 2014. So I made an honest error. What difference could 1 year make ? Up from $228, to $ 560! I believe sales rep knew of ticket date,but waited until checked out time to hit me with the updated rate. At that stage ,what does he got to lose? Some would say screw it ,lets just get started. We`re all just actuarial tables to them. Im 72 been riding 1972 , took MSF in 1991.