Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive just went up....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

GEICO for me... Have everything with them. Competitive price with Miliatry discounts.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
I have been with Progressive for 2 years and this year they decided to raise the rates despite having a vanishing deductable and a 12 month no-claim discount. The value of the bike is going down but the cost to cover it is going up. It's only about $12/month but there should be no increase. Anyone have any recommendations for a better deal?
Farm Bureau
Geico
Dairyland

Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 AM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

...and sometimes it has nothing to do with you. Policies on our cars and Harley increased last year due to the State's insurance rating based on number of claims due to highway accidents reported. So many factors. We have vehicles and Harley insured by two different companies. Both gave the same reasoning for rate increase even though all are aging and I have never filed a claim. Shop till you drop is the best we can do.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Trikin
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We changed our bikes from State Farm to the Harley Insurance (Progressive) and pay the same for 2 bikes with better coverage than what we were paying for just 1 bike with State Farm. No claims, so can't say much about that part of the service.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,388 Likes on 21,384 Posts

Been w/Dairyland for umpteen years.
Pay a shade under $200 for full cov as I have on all my vehicles, even the 92 Camry.
Discounts with MSF course and H O G member as well.
Might be worth your while to check em out.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm going to make you all feel better.

I live in MA and have not had a ticket or accident in 15-20 years.

For my 2016 FLTRXS fire and theft is $1000 a year, an additional $1400 for collision. I can't afford $2400 a year so only have fire and theft coverage.

My coverage selection page for my 2012 Silverado just came in. Last year full coverage was $1300 a year, this year it is $1750! That is $229 a month for insurance (some of you pay that a year). $7.50 a day, every day!

I have a call in to my agent seeing what they can do. Its MA so I don't have much hope!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 AM
TDF
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allstate if you feel like bundling!

Old 01-09-2017, 12:48 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by thealien
I'm going to make you all feel better.

I live in MA and have not had a ticket or accident in 15-20 years.

For my 2016 FLTRXS fire and theft is $1000 a year, an additional $1400 for collision. I can't afford $2400 a year so only have fire and theft coverage.

My coverage selection page for my 2012 Silverado just came in. Last year full coverage was $1300 a year, this year it is $1750! That is $229 a month for insurance (some of you pay that a year). $7.50 a day, every day!

I have a call in to my agent seeing what they can do. Its MA so I don't have much hope!

Good Lord.....that is insane.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 PM
SeeJeepCrawl
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

My rates just went up with Allstate so I started pricing the competition. I had been with Geico for many years prior, but their rates just kept going up; so I switched. I thought I would give them a chance again, but their rates were still higher than AllState. A friend of mine told me about Dairyland.

I checked with them and the rates were half what I am paying at Allstate. I went to the same reviews the OP did and saw the horrible experiences. To me, it is worth paying the extra for peace of mind. In short, I am staying with Allstate for now.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
That is the frustration of insurance- rates vary by so many variables what works for me won't work for someone else. The value of your bike may drop each year, but that is only one component of your coverage- Repair rates don't go down, liability costs for damage to other's property and medical care doesn't go down either, so don't expect a lock step between your premiums and the value of the bike. I had a similar experience with Progressive- rate for the Limited was very high compared to policy I had on my ricer. Went with Geico for the bike, and switched my cars the next year. All you can really do is to get quotes from as many different companies as you can stomach, and pick one.
And, the premiums charged also depend on how much the insurer had to pay out in losses the prior year - not just your claims, if any, but all losses they paid.

FWIW - I'm getting much better rates from GEICO right now than from any other insurer - even tho house, cars, etc., are with State Farm.

Quick Reply: Progressive just went up....any suggestions?