Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive just went up....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
TriSum
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Nationwide.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:43 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I pay $344 for Progressive coverage of the Sporty and the Honda. 15% discount for paying in full. I did have a claim and it was smooth as possible. One phone call, no hassles - can't fault Flo's service. And accident forgiveness - rate did not go up.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:47 PM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have my bike on my allstate with my other vehicles, honestly at whatever I pay I just don't care for the amount that it is. I want to say it's ~$400/year...

Thing is with bad insurance when you do have a claim it's going to be a pain, they will chisel away at you. With good insurance they pay the full amount without BS. I've had claims w/ travelers and allstate over the years (neither on a bike though), both are good and easy to deal with. If you find a trend that leads you to question the insurance company you may just be getting less for your $$ anyway.

The fine print matters; my bike is older, an '03 - it's insured for book plus value of accessories, ie I wreck my bike, it burns, or it gets stolen I get book value, plus accessories - plus value of bars installed, plus value of bags installed, plus value of whatever else is there etc.. etc.. I likely pay more for that, versus an insurer who will pick some minimum book value or who will try to chisel away on cost of repairs, but to save $20 a month or something I don't see the point; I probably spend $100/month on coffee.

Jon

Old 01-17-2017, 01:20 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 302 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Slope
My beef with Progressive is that they use your credit rating as a factor to determine insurance rates. I had Progressive and my rates went up because I refinanced my house. In essence, do anything that changes your credit rating and your insurance goes up! That's crazy. Personally, I don't see the relationship between how I manage my money or my credit and how I ride my bike. Geico for me, at the moment.
The way it was explained to me many years ago is that credit ratings give the insurance company an idea of a person's ability to pay the premium. In reality, who knows how they devise these formulas?
For 2016 I was at $443 per year for all 3 bikes combined with Progressive. Pay in full discount. Of course they're all older, but all have comp/collision/$500k liability and $250/$500k SUM. We'll see what happens come renewal time in April

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-17-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:43 PM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the tips with Progressive. I called and got $150 a year taken off for Hog Discount + winter storage

Old 01-17-2017, 05:29 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

My Beef with Prog. is Flo the Ditz, only kidding! The problem is they are owned by the Peter Lewis family, He died a couple of years ago, Google him ! He was a Commie *****, Homo Buddy of George Soros, & most of us know he wants to Destroy America! If after Googling Peter Lewis, & you still buy Prog., you must be a Commie *****! Only kidding! Buy American, Buy Buffert (Geico) ! 2 cents ?
PS, WTF is it with ALL the insurance commercials on TV, they cost Big Dough, that we pay for! I can't wait to see how many $5 million, 30 second spots for the SuperBowl ?

Old 01-18-2017, 06:42 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 2goldens
The way it was explained to me many years ago is that credit ratings give the insurance company an idea of a person's ability to pay the premium. In reality, who knows how they devise these formulas?
For 2016 I was at $443 per year for all 3 bikes combined with Progressive. Pay in full discount. Of course they're all older, but all have comp/collision/$500k liability and $250/$500k SUM. We'll see what happens come renewal time in April
It was a policy to use FICA scores to determine rate charges. Most, if not all insurance companies have pulled the plug on that. I don't know if it is a legal deal or policy.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 302 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
It was a policy to use FICA scores to determine rate charges. Most, if not all insurance companies have pulled the plug on that. I don't know if it is a legal deal or policy.
It was actually many years ago that I was told that, so I'm not surprised if it no longer holds true.
Forgot to mention, if any of you has taken a MSF course, don't forget to mention that. My wife took hers back in 2009. When I contacted my agent to inform them that I'd just finished an online defensive driver course, she informed me that my wife's MSF certificate was still good for a discount on the bike policy even though she took it way back when. And that there was only one discount available per policy for such courses.

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-19-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:49 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

im paying $48 per month for 2 financed bikes with full coverage on both. I live in rural Vermont with both my wife and I with clean records. Believe it or not we are covered by Allstate. Could save even more if I wanted to pay a years premium all at once. BTW we do NOT have a bundle deal. Only the bikes are under Allstate.

Last edited by turbotom1052; 01-21-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Well I'm in the same boat now as well. Just got an email about my Progressive renewal. It went up just over $60/Year. So now it's just over $400/year. I went on line and got quotes with both Geico and Allstate. Both were $50-$75/year cheaper. Couldn't tell you what any of them are like when needing to make a claim, never have had too? So it boils down to... do I care if I pay $60ish more/year...?? Progressive I have a dissapearing deductible, so as of right now, I don't have to make one. Both Allstate and Geico are $500. But, if you don't make a claim, then who cares right?

I think what I might do is get a few quotes with bundling my auto/home/bike... Right now auto/home are with Amica....

**Well I actually just got a quote with Dairlyland and they were 1/2 of what Progressive is per year. However this company has horrible reviews. Tons and tons of bad reviews on line 1 out of 5 stars... Save a couple hundred bucks may not be worth it.

Last edited by jamala00; 01-23-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Progressive just went up....any suggestions?