Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive just went up....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:11 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default Progressive just went up....any suggestions?

I have been with Progressive for 2 years and this year they decided to raise the rates despite having a vanishing deductable and a 12 month no-claim discount. The value of the bike is going down but the cost to cover it is going up. It's only about $12/month but there should be no increase. Anyone have any recommendations for a better deal?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:33 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Shop around someone will beat them. I had them 11 years one day after sending me an email about what a valued customer I was. They raised my rates higher than a friend of mine with a DUI. I had no tickets . I made one call to GEICO. They beat them by a lot. Then switched my cars over also.
And when I purchased my 2017 rates went down??

Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Shop around someone will beat them. I had them 11 years one day after sending me an email about what a valued customer I was. They raised my rates higher than a friend of mine with a DUI. I had no tickets . I made one call to GEICO. They beat them by a lot. Then switched my cars over also.
And when I purchased my 2017 rates went down??

Full Coverage with Progressive is just under $750/yr, Geico wants twice that. I am looking for other suggestions for companies to call. I know that the Allstate/State Farm/Farmers route is likely to be much more since I don't have home/auto with them. Anyone try esurance?

Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 3,012 Posts

My Geico is $350. But my bikes older than your's and not financed.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Dairyland.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Dairyland.

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner!! Well done. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner!! Well done. Thank you.

Awww....based on many horrible reviews...I may just stick with Progressive.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insu...insurance.html

For a couple hundred a year there is no reason so subject myself to a possible issue if a claim is made.

One from this forum, pretty much falls inline with the hundred or so I found online.

Originally Posted by rkrdr2
I had Dairyland for 5yrs no claims,tickets...had a buddy's bike fall over on mine while in the back of a trailer and from the moment I called them to report it...they started screwing me...They claimed it was a collision claim not a comprehensive claim,I ask how can it be a collision claim when nobody was riding the bikes...never got a straight answer...then they told me they do not pay for replacement parts,they fix and repaint...their estimate was $875. the dealers estimate was $2700. They refused to recognize the dealer estimate and insisted that I take my bike 65mi away to one of their repair shops...I refused and threatened legal action and finally got them to fix my bike the way I WANTED it fixed...I was really surprised by the way I was treated Dairyland and dropped them right after getting my bike back

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-06-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

That is the frustration of insurance- rates vary by so many variables what works for me won't work for someone else. The value of your bike may drop each year, but that is only one component of your coverage- Repair rates don't go down, liability costs for damage to other's property and medical care doesn't go down either, so don't expect a lock step between your premiums and the value of the bike. I had a similar experience with Progressive- rate for the Limited was very high compared to policy I had on my ricer. Went with Geico for the bike, and switched my cars the next year. All you can really do is to get quotes from as many different companies as you can stomach, and pick one.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
I have been with Progressive for 2 years and this year they decided to raise the rates despite having a vanishing deductable and a 12 month no-claim discount. The value of the bike is going down but the cost to cover it is going up. It's only about $12/month but there should be no increase. Anyone have any recommendations for a better deal?
If it was me, I'd shop around because there are many variables in insurance and not everybody might get the same deal as the next person.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Dairyland was $535 for the year but after doing some research I decided to stay far away from that company. For the extra $18/mo (I can easily afford) I will stick to Progressive and shop again next year if they raise me again.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Bobcat264
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a long time State Farmer with auto, home, life but they couldn't match Progressive's quote. I would rather stay with SF, but the difference is more than I can justify.

Quick Reply: Progressive just went up....any suggestions?