Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

auto accident being used against my bike insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:21 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto accident being used against my bike insurance

WTF?? I got into a fender-bender in May with my Jeep (since sold) and I was shopping around for insurance for both my bikes (09 Street Bob and 08 Busa). GEICO has me at 981 per year...everyone else wants in excess of $1300. I just don't get it. I live in FL so this is the insurance rip off capital of the free world. It just sucks to pay that much.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kind of like saying I had a wreck in my truck but now I have a car. Everything counts.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 PM
joewg3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you think that there would be a difference? If you get a DUI riding your bike I suppose it shouldn't couldn't count against your car insurance either, right?

Anything insurance related goes into a national database that tracks your insurance related activity and you get points against you.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Based on your DMV, which affects all vehicles.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 AM
wideglide78
Advanced

Dont feel too bad. I got hit last year on my bike when I lived in FL. It wasnt my fault at all since I was sitting at a red light. When my car ins. came up for renewal they jacked my rates way up saying that I was prone to be in an accident since I was already in one. Even tho it wasnt my fault. WTF is that. I glad I moved back to Ohio, the weather might suck but my car ins. is dirt cheap!

James

Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 PM
bikerrandy
Advanced

You think that's bad, try getting insurance for a "special construction" title, even with a perfect driving record! Most insurance companies won't even insure one.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Amen on better rates in Ohio. In South Carolina, Almost double.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Breaker19
6th Gear
Default Florida ins rates are chasing people away

Originally Posted by NWFLAStreetBob
WTF?? I got into a fender-bender in May with my Jeep (since sold) and I was shopping around for insurance for both my bikes (09 Street Bob and 08 Busa). GEICO has me at 981 per year...everyone else wants in excess of $1300. I just don't get it. I live in FL so this is the insurance rip off capital of the free world. It just sucks to pay that much.
You're so right about Florida. I live here too. The rates on uninsured motorist for motorcycles is absolutely rediculous. I checked around and Geico was still cheapest for me but I had to drop the UM. After extensive reading and research on the web, UM basically covers medical expenses if someone who is at fault causes you great bodily injury. But there are specific criterium for that too. Being I have excellent health insurance I decided to assume the risk. I mean, we're talking nearly a grand more a year just by adding even unstacked UM. Crazy. I kept the 100/300 and of course opted for PIP and bodily injury but the UM I just cannot afford that kind of rate.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had No Idea

I'm getting ready to buy my first bike in a few months, and I hadn't realized how high bike insurance was in FL. I live there, in North Florda as well. Guess the savings from gas savings gets sucked up by the inflated isurance prices? I've got a clean driving record, besides a speeding ticket in '98. I just hope this is all worth it in the end.
Forgot to mention, I'm getting ready to retire from the Navy, so Health Insurance isn't an issue for me when it comes to insurace for the bike.

Last edited by OldSalt; 09-14-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something in.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
CountryGal
Stage II
Default Re: auto accident being used against my bike insurance

Originally Posted by joewg3
Why would you think that there would be a difference? If you get a DUI riding your bike I suppose it shouldn't couldn't count against your car insurance either, right?

Anything insurance related goes into a national database that tracks your insurance related activity and you get points against you.
So, I was wondering: If you get a ticket while operating a boat, will that going on your drivers license? Seems it wouldn't, but then again it is driving...of a sort. thanks.

ganocafe
Seat Covers

Quick Reply: auto accident being used against my bike insurance