Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

insuring a rental bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Duds
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insuring a rental bike

Hi guys,

a couple of us are going to make the pilgrimage from Australia to Sturgis and we have decided to do it on a couple of rentals through a dealer in LA. The rental agancy will insure us for everything but the actual bikes. This seems pretty strange but emails back and forth confirm this and when I ask who I should get insurance from they aren't forthcoming.
So...................obviously they rent hundreds of bikes and obviously renters have this sorted... so we would appreciate any advice anyone has on this.

thanks
Duds

Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My insurance would not cover a rental bike.HD charges big for this coverage.My insurance covers a rental car but not a rented motorcycle.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They will wait until you show up then offer insurance. I never buy insurance on cars because my insurance and my visa both cover that, but If they didn't I would buy it. Try your companies and see if they cover anything. Otherwise if you plan on having the bike for a while try geico and see if they will give you insurance for the short time. Just a suggestion

Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 AM
riggs
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Rental bike insurance

I worked as rentals counterperson at a Harley-Davidson dealership for 4 years. The insurance you can purchase has a $2000 deductible which is the reason why you need a major credit card to cover the $2000 deductible in the event of an accident or any other damage related event, Once the bike is returned, damage free, it could be a few days or longer before the deposit is removed from your card. If there is any damage the cost will be taken from the $2000 deposit. Make sure to call your credit card issuer and find out how this is handled. The $2000 deposit is immediately on your account so if you have a $3000 limit you now have $1000 to use. The deductible amount is up to the individual dealership so the amount may vary. The usual deposit is $2000. Ask questions so there are no surprises. One more thing, most insurance companies will not cover a rental motorcycle even if you have your personal bike insured. Do not take it for granted that you are already insured. Find out for sure. I would rather be responsible for $2000 rather then $20,000. Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM
german ladyrider
Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

If you rent a bike at www.eaglerider.com you will get an insurance.... check it out!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Duds
Stage II

thanks for your help
still can't believe they would rent me a bike without insurance covering the actual bike.
Just hope something comes up or there is no way I can take the risk
again, many thanks
Duds

Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

10 of us are renting bikes out of San Diego in August '10. None of our insurance companies will cover the rentals...except 1...All State.
My insurance company "Foremost" does not cover it. The fee for what HD calls "walk away" coverage is something like $21.00 per day.

Gotta go with the "walk away" to have the piece of mind while on a 10 day trip through Cali.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

I know state farm won't do it . i bought ins.through the dealer and yup a 2k deposit on your

credit card .

Shoot last time I rented I accidentally put a light scuff on one of the bags.

I stopped home and polished it out before returning , washed it also.

I didn't want to give them any reason to charge me.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
RayGun
Intermediate

In 2003, I rented a new EGC from Dayton HD and rode to Key West & back. I called Progressive on the way to Daytona and told thme what I was planning to do. I was assured that my policy covered the rented bike as well as my liability and PIP exposures on the trip. I showed the rental agent my insurance card, he copied that and my license and away I went.
Call your insurance company first. You may have already paid for insurance that will cover your trip.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Smokie2662
Intermediate

Like German Ladyrider said Try eaglerider. I used them a couple of years ago on a trip to Florida with my Wife, they were very helpful even before my trip started and then when i was over two hours late bringing the bike back as i took the wrong turn pike they went out of there way to help find me and sort me out.

Quick Reply: insuring a rental bike