Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Motorcycle Insurance Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Road Captain
Default State Farm offers no trip/road hazard coverage ?

I have State Farm insurance for my house, cars, and motorcycles. My wife and I are planning on taking the 2009 Ultra Classic out west this summer to Sturgis and seeing the sights along the way. I thought I'd call up my State Farm agent and see what kind of coverage I had insofar as towing, road hazard, whatnot and compare it to purchasing the HOG membership upgraded package.
I was a little bit bummed when he told me that State Farm didn't offer anything in the way of towing, etc. The bike was insured and that was it. Was just wondering what coverage other owners have with their insurance company when your bike breaks down ?

Thanks,

Christian
Cleveland, Wisconsin
Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Good points, I have all my insurance with the same company, state farm, I'll have to call to check. I know I have it on the cages, why not on the bike?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep...good points indeed. I have State Farm for everything as well. My cars have road hazard, towing and rental car reimbursement...I'll have to check on the bike. I am a HOG member but it would be nice to have road hazard under SF. Thanks for bringing this up.

Softail Deluxe FLSTN - Cobalt/Glacier White
Sportster Custom XL1200C - Vivid Black
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorHD View Post
Yep...good points indeed. I have State Farm for everything as well. My cars have road hazard, towing and rental car reimbursement...I'll have to check on the bike. I am a HOG member but it would be nice to have road hazard under SF. Thanks for bringing this up.
Sure... that's why I love this forum. I'll most likely be upgrading my HOG membership to the Ultra Package for $29.95 which gets you free towing to the nearest Harley Dealership and $1,000 worth of incidental costs. Just glad I researched this before taking the trip out west to Sturgis this summer.

Here's a link to the State Farm website which doesn't mention anything about road hazard, towing, or rental car reimbursement.

Enjoy,

Christian
Cleveland, Wisconsin

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/other/motorcycle.asp
Old 02-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Hang Around

I got one futher for you, my State Farm agent told me that you do not get any medical coverage on their bike insurance. Now I have my own seperate medical insurance but what if you are riding a passenger that doesn't and have an accident? The passanger is going to look to you for their doctor bills. I wonder if all bike insurance company's exclude medical from their bike insurance. I wanted to start a thread on this but I am new and don't have enough post to start threads.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Club Member

I have towing - stated value coverage - rental reimbursement and more with Progressive ! I do have a higher premium than most of you at $592 per year however I have no surprises with my insurance and have peice of mind and to me it is worth it!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Road Warrior

i also have state farm for everything. i knew about the no towing but didnt realize about the medical. ill have to check on that today.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

I HAD State Farm before moving down to New Mexico. I switched to Geico for cost reasons. My previous State Farm policy had medical up to $1000 and that is the maximum they will allow. As I have other medical insurance thru my employment I was not to concerned about it. My new policy with Geico has only $500 in medical but again, not concerned due to other insurance. Geico would allow for higher coverage however whereas State Farm would not. As a side note, I had EVERYTHING I owned insured with State Farm for years, always thinking this was a good thing to do and would ultimately favor me when it came time for a claim. I have since decided that all those years of just paying whatever State Farm billed me in premiums was not to bright. State Farm has no loyalty to any of their customers like ALL insurance companies, they are in business to make a profit, period! Shop around!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Rabbit View Post
I got one futher for you, my State Farm agent told me that you do not get any medical coverage on their bike insurance. Now I have my own seperate medical insurance but what if you are riding a passenger that doesn't and have an accident? The passanger is going to look to you for their doctor bills. I wonder if all bike insurance company's exclude medical from their bike insurance. I wanted to start a thread on this but I am new and don't have enough post to start threads.
Alstate has free raod side/towing, medical for you AND passenger, and cheaper than progressive.
Doc aka #1 Asshat 2011 FLHTK (Ultra Limited) 103" Stage 4, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, D&D 2-1 exhuast. 106 hp, 108 ftlbs Trq.
90 XLH 883 Custom Stock (3800 Miles)
87 FLHTC- R.I.P HIt by a mini SUV.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Rabbit View Post

Well... actually this is not true. I have $10,000 worth of medical coverage for EACH passenger on my motocycle. Not sure why your agent told you this, but it isn't so.

Christian
Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM

P