Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Dairyland insurance made me mad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
01fxst
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dairyland insurance made me mad!

I guess it's common of all insurances but I'm still not happy. I've had full coverage with Dairyland on my 95 Heritage since it was new (Nov of 94) and I've never had a claim. I also have a 2001 FXST and a 2008 FXSTC insured with them.

Now here's the problem.
I ride everyday, summer and winter. This past winter I had my Grand Tour Bag stolen off of the bike right in front of my office between 1 and 3 in the afternon. It was winter and All of my leather and a few other goodies were in the bag. The total was a bit over $1600.
The bag was locked to the bike with the little steel cable that came with it but whoever took it cut it and left the lock.
I called the insurance company and they said that I was not covered. They paid ZIP! but charged me with a claim. They wanted me to turn it in to my homeowners. WOOHOO!! $1700 deductable there.

They told me that if I had been wearing the leather and had crashed and damaged it that it would be covered.

"I guess it's common of all insurances"
The reason I said that is that I told Dairyland to kiss my *** I was moving my insurance. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find anyone who will cover something like this so at this point, I am still with Dairyland.
They tell me it is like having stuff stolen from your car. If it's not part of the car (motorcycle) they don't cover it.

That may be the way the industry looks at it but I think it sucks My leather is a necessity (because without it I freeze) and I feel that it should be covered like any other accessory.
I even tried to find a company that would write me a policy to cover my gear. no luck.
Now get this...
Dairyland said that I should take everything in with me wherever I go.
I told them to bite me. I can just see me taking all that in everytime I go to restaurant. Thats why I have the bag.
Any body got any good ideas or leads on how to cover my gear?

Ps I've read the other threads and the general gist from those who are satisfied are those who have never had a claim and is mostly about price.
A few had accidents and were handled well.

Wait till you have something stolen.

Oh yeah, they also said that if the entire bike had been stolen that my gear would have been covered.

Oh well, at least I got it off my chest.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:03 PM
nickshelby500kr
Advanced

Thats pretty stupid, i have both my truck and motorcycle insurance with allstate. Cheapest since im only 18. But when i was 16, someone broke my window and stole my 120gb ipod, stereo, speakers, and macbook. it was like $2500 worth of stuff. i had a $250 deductable at the time so i paid the $250 and they sent me a check for $2500 and some change based on retail value of the items that were stolen (i had reciepts).

Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Difference tween a car and the cycle is the scum bags had to damage the car in order to do the theft. On your cycle if someone had sledge hammered say the side bag on a Road King and stole a leather jacket there might be coverage. But a cable lock around the cycle and some goods might as well been a lampost you had the cable lock on.

I hate thieves. Used to work construction. In the right (or wrong) part of town a day wouldn't go by without some low life walking up wanting to sell some tool he just happen to not need anymore. Often a sawzall or hammer drill the azz hat wouldn't even know how to operate. I always told 'em keep walking but couple of the guys I worked with would buy the tools. Hot as hell. I asked them where did they think those thieves got those tools. Sooner or later they got their own trucks broke into. Karma is a biotch.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Any idea if theft of hard saddlebags would be covered?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
streetbobkid
Road Captain

So what if you had throwovers on the bike and someone stole them completely off of the bike? Would it have been covered then?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not a claims guy, but I've been associated with the insurance industry for 13 years. This doesn't sound right to me, but it really depends on what your policy says. And I can't say for certain, but I think Dairyland doesn't have the best claims reputation.

I had a bag of hockey equipment stolen from my car - no damage, but they pried open the sun roof and unlocked the door. USAA covered it with no questions. If Dairyland requires the accessory to be permanently attached, then the claim comes down to the definition of "permanent". For example, it'd be a hard argument that the seat isn't permanently attached to the bike, but my solo seat is attached with a bolt that I can unscrew with my fingers so I can swap on a 2-up seat - is that permanent or not? If the bags were mounted and locked on the bike, I'd be inclined to argue that claim pretty hard.

If you want to stay with Dairyland, consider getting a personal articles floater for your leathers, etc. on your homeowners policy. This endorsement covers valuable articles against loss, theft or damage, usually with no deductible.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
01fxst
Intermediate

Folks,
I argued with Dairyland (jerks) for a couple of weeks, asking to speak to higher and higher people. I made the best case I could and was flat turned down as far as coverage.
The only thing I did win was the fact that although they charged me with a claim, I kept them from raising my rates. I contacted the Texas Board of Insurances and filed a complaint both on the non-coverage and their threat of increasing my premium. The only thing the TBI helped me with was the rate increase. 16+ years without a claim and they want to rais my rates...
Give me a break
I did ask one question, what if it had been a touring bike with hard bags and they broke into the bags and took the stuff.
"Well sir the damage to the bags would be covered but not the contents"

voudoujoe,
I have tried to buy a floater policy for my stuff and there were a couple of companies that would write me but it was so expensive I decided to eat the loss.

Streetbobkid,
in my case, the tour bag was about the same net effect as throwover saddle bags. not covered.

asm481, Talking about scumbags selling stuff,
I think I bought "MY" bag back a few days ago. A guy came into my brother in law's store and had a bag for sale. He bought it and asked where he got it. He said he bought it from "a guy"
I gave $35 for it. So now, since I replaced my stolen bag, I now have two identincal bags
I have new leathers. they just don't have the character that my 20 plus year old leathers had.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reminds me of the sign I've seen in a number of shops:

1. Quick
2. Cheap
3. Good
Pick any two.

It's funny how insurance companies are great to work with as long as you're sending them money and not the other way around.

I've had Geico on my bikes since the 90s and IMO they're first rate. Although I haven't had a theft claim, I had a wreck repair that was over $7.5K and getting the check was the easiest part of the whole ordeal.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 AM
01fxst
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Reminds me of the sign I've seen in a number of shops:

1. Quick
2. Cheap
3. Good
Pick any two.

It's funny how insurance companies are great to work with as long as you're sending them money and not the other way around.

I've had Geico on my bikes since the 90s and IMO they're first rate. Although I haven't had a theft claim, I had a wreck repair that was over $7.5K and getting the check was the easiest part of the whole ordeal.

I thought it was "pick one"

Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry. Since DL is largely agent distributed, I'm assuming you are using an insurance agent. I hope you gave both barrels to your agent ... he/she should be fighting this fight for you. I'd be shopping for a new cycle insurance carrier already as the market is too competitive to put up with any BS. And if I did have an agent and they hadn't done anything to help, I'd fire their a$$ too - for all my coverage. Give your hard earned commission dollars to someone who will do more work than cash their checks.

Quick Reply: Dairyland insurance made me mad!