Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

How is coverage on a numbered Harley paint set handled if damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM
BBBSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is coverage on a numbered Harley paint set handled if damaged?

I'm curious how a factory numbered paint set (like in my sig picture) is handled if there is an accident or some type of damage. I've asked a few agents and they all had a bit of a deer in the headlights look, especially after mentioning the price of one of these paint sets.

As far as I know these were sold on the bike when new. Would Harley have this info on file somewhere? I bought the bike used so not sure what I should expect if something happened. Agents are saying that is it was the original paint as sold new it is 100% covered. But..... they don't make em anymore and this isn't at all something any regular shop could replicate. There's cheese cloth under what looks like a few layers of color and a heavy clear coat. I imagine finding a replacement set is about as easy as one of those carnival games designed to make you lose.

Any advice or experience anyone has would be great. I'm trying to decide how much, and if I should add the value of the paint set as additional coverage on the bike.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,622 Likes on 5,178 Posts

The tins painted have a value. What you paid for them.
As for coverage you need some new people to do business with if they could not tell it to you word for word in a few minutes.
Each State is going to be some what different because State regulations apply.
If it is on the bike new it is covered in the original purchase price.
Most good polices here have a standard 3000 for extras(add after purchase) over that you pay a high premium .
A used bike is different when you insure it you state a value. If that value is higher than the carrier thinks it should be you then explain why ,that is noted your rates adjust accordingly and done.
Example My 1996 FB if I wanted to insure it for 15K they would say NO.
But if I then showed them the bike had over 12K in work done to it they would write a policy for a custom bike that covers the new value. If they agreed with my stated value. If they looked at it and feel I am BS myself on the value they will refuse to insure it.
What you need to do is set a value you think it is worth and see if they will except that or not. I would list the painted Tins on the policy.
Nice ride you have there.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:54 PM
JenEd723
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default number 1

I have a number 1 paint set. Does this hold more value?