Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

HOG Roadside Assistance failed me

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:46 PM
ctcruiser
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOG Roadside Assistance failed me

I just wanted to share my breakdown experience and how HOG roadside assistance responded.
My 2006 Roadking recently broke down on a Sunday afternoon on a major road in Eastern CT.
We called HOG Roadside Assistance and they tried to get us help for 2 hrs. But finally threw in the towel saying "we were in a remote area" and nobody was coming to help. After buying HOG membership for the last 14 yrs. I was stunned to be told by Roadside Assistance "sorry, we can't help you".
We had AAA for our autos so we called to see if it would include the bike. We were told we could upgrade to include motorcycle for $50.00. They said they could get someone out in less than 45 mins. Being stranded by HOG and getting cold and cell phone fading fast we upgraded only to find they were having a hard time too. Finally after 4 hrs. in the cold a tow truck showed up at 10 PM and got us home.
We questioned the driver about the poor response and were told their are far fewer drivers on weekends and after hours. And few tows have the needed straps for motorcycles. We also learned the "drivers" are paid very little and they cherry pick incoming tow orders for the most profitable / least hassle jobs.
We were almost stranded overnight, in the cold, with a spent cell phone.
My question to the members is what's the most reliable roadside assistance being used by bikers?
An added thought for the Ladies of Harley. I walked the bike up the tow trucks flatbed incline while the drive winched it up. Would you do so or wait for a trailer pick up?
Do you think about this when riding in remote areas, weekends, or nighttime?
Are you a Harley rider thinking HOG has your back???
My view of roadside assistance will never be the same, comments?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 PM
FXST06
Intermediate

Was this one of the Road America plans that you had?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Ct is tuff. Lucky AAA even bothered. They get paid almost nothing here in ct. I was told HOG had no roadside service here in Ct. Glad it worked out for you

Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM
ctcruiser
6th Gear

Yes it was the Road America plan included with your HOG membership.

Last edited by ctcruiser; 04-28-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm not 100% sure the title of the thread is fair. It seems that by the reasons you gave HOG could not legitimately find someone to pick you up.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:35 AM
ctcruiser
6th Gear

Actually the driver was an independent not affiliated with Roadside America or AAA.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:46 AM
deidgoogguy
Stage II

I know the thread is quite old but I still wanna add that as for the question about walking the bike up the tow truck's flatbed incline, it's a personal choice based on your comfort level and the circumstances.

Old 07-13-2023, 06:13 AM
deidgoogguy
Stage II

Originally Posted by deidgoogguy
I know the thread is quite old but I still wanna add that as for the question about walking the bike up the tow truck's flatbed incline, it's a personal choice based on your comfort level and the circumstances.
Let's give it some love! It's never too late to share experiences and insights. So, it seems like HOG Roadside Assistance let you down back then. That's a real bummer when you need help on the road.
When it comes to reliable roadside assistance for bikers, it's always good to explore options. Some riders recommend independent towing companies or specialized motorcycle clubs that understand the unique needs of two-wheeled adventures. They might have the expertise and equipment to get you back on track.
Also, if you someday find yourself in a lockout situation, keep in mind that you can call a car lockout service anytime. Alright, good luck!

Old 07-13-2023, 06:29 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

I needed a tow once they said they were sending a truck from 21/2 hours away. I was in a good area and told they I would handle it. I called a flab bed 5 minutes away was home in less then and hour drinking a beer with the driver. I sent Hog the bill and they paid me.