Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists

I was told buying uninsured underinsured motorist coverage was a waste of money because the insurance company would pay and sue the other party. Does this sound correct or like bs?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Consider the overall cost of the coverage, it's just a fraction of the policy cost, just like towing.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its BS I got hit by a bitch talking on her Obama phone she had nothing to sue for glad I had the Insurance

Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

With all the illegals out there, you want it. Shortly after Arizona made it mandatory, a friend of mine that lived in Phoenix got hit by a Mexican running a red light, no insurance, not even a license. He said he would have lost everything and been in debt without it. He ranted and raved about having to pay for it, but sure changed his mind when it saved him financially. Even got a new car out of it. And to be fair, there are probably even more born in the USA folks that don't have insurance than the illegals. I wouldn't leave home without it...

Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Grog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had to renew my policy and the cost for this was almost a third of the bill. I dont understand how the insurance companies can jack us for this much when kie you say they go after theother person for the damages.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:06 AM
ochog1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think about it. Uninsured/underinsured. If they are driving without insurance or have only the state minimum and its their fault what are you going to sue them for? Chances are they don't have anything thats why they carry only state minimum or no insurance. FWIW had a buddy who was involved in a slow speed bump. Fell off the bike of course and suffered a fracture to the left foot, and scrapes. Ins totaled the bike and hospital bills exceeded 40k. Arizona minimum is 15/30/10. Exceeded this amount by a long shot. Insurance is defiantly a gamble but chances are one day it will bite you in the *** if you don't have what you need.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mooficious
I was told buying uninsured underinsured motorist coverage was a waste of money because the insurance company would pay and sue the other party. Does this sound correct or like bs?
I don't think it's a waste of money because there are many drivers without insurance.

I just got rear ended in my car 2 months ago.The driver handed me his expired ins. card and said it was the old one but has ins.
Turns out he did not have ins.

My insurance covered my car for repair and car rental under the uninsured motorist.

I don't know if my insurance co. sued the driver,we pay for it already.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ochog1
Think about it. Uninsured/underinsured. If they are driving without insurance or have only the state minimum and its their fault what are you going to sue them for? Chances are they don't have anything thats why they carry only state minimum or no insurance. FWIW had a buddy who was involved in a slow speed bump. Fell off the bike of course and suffered a fracture to the left foot, and scrapes. Ins totaled the bike and hospital bills exceeded 40k. Arizona minimum is 15/30/10. Exceeded this amount by a long shot. Insurance is defiantly a gamble but chances are one day it will bite you in the *** if you don't have what you need.
Exactly. A long time ago I got into a vehicle accident. Guy hit me, totaled the truck I was in. I did not have full coverage at the time, he had no insurance. The accident was totally his fault, but I got a week in the hospital and a totaled truck. No insurance to pay for any of it. (heath insurance covered a lot of the hospital stay). The only thing the guy had to his name was th totaled Thunderbird he hit me with.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mooficious

I don't have underinsured insurance but I know I should. Up here in Canada (my province anyway) a current license plate means a person has insurance.
I would say the majority of people on the road have the minimum $250k insurance, a few people find a way to drive without or accidently are driving with expired plates.
We pay about $3200 to cover our 2 cars fully for the year and 6 months liability only on the bike. I just can't bring myself to fork out more $$ for the additional coverage. I does make me a bit nervous when I ride into the US where I know many more people drive with nothing. I'm probably leaving my medical coverage behind as soon as I cross the border as well.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

You will wish you had it if (G-d forbid) some 18 year old with state minimum insurance hits you. Not to mention all the idiots with no insurance. Most of these people have nothing worth suing for.

That is why I have the max amount of unisured/underinsured I could get. It is not for me, it is for my family.