Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Progressive

I've been with Progressive for years, they're reasonable (less than $400/yr in Michigan for full coverage), but have never had a claim. I've heard they are difficult to work with on the service side (Flo may not be telling the whole story). Anyone had any experience - good, bad or recommendations for other carriers. A couple hundred bucks a year up front for significantly reduced grief later would be desirable.

Jay

Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM
will335i
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have Progressive for my motorcycle insurance here in Alaska. I am paying $260 for full coverage on a 14 48. I have heard the same things so I am really hoping to never have a claim with them. That being said that full coverage included up $3000 for accessories and road side assistance so I would say its a pretty good deal. My last bike was with State Farm but after they decided to d!ck around my whole family I dropped all my policies with them and went with USAA.

USAA farms out their motorcycle coverage to Progressive BTW.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:19 AM
Seadog!
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a wreck back march 31 of 2009. They did me right. NADA pay off, extra for parts. Covered my boots and coat. Just not prescription glasses which disappeared to only God knows where. All in all not a bad experience that I shouldn't have walked away from

Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

thanks seadog, that's good to know. being 4 years into this, "disappearing deductible" thing, I now have full collision and no deductible so for now, I'll stick with Progressive.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had them for years. They are fast to pay claims but their road side assistance blows. It's contracted through a third party and they want $4 per mile for anything over 15 miles. They also expect you to leave your bike unattended outside a closed dealership if your tow happens to be after hours. When I called them they wanted to call a towing company that was 45 miles away even though I was 2 blocks from a towing company that tows bikes. I could actually see their sign from where I stood. Better have a plan B in case you ever need a tow.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:01 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I've had them for years. They are fast to pay claims but their road side assistance blows. It's contracted through a third party and they want $4 per mile for anything over 15 miles. They also expect you to leave your bike unattended outside a closed dealership if your tow happens to be after hours. When I called them they wanted to call a towing company that was 45 miles away even though I was 2 blocks from a towing company that tows bikes. I could actually see their sign from where I stood. Better have a plan B in case you ever need a tow.
That sounds like a ripoff to me and leaving a bike unattended outside a dealership that is closed is just asking for more trouble.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:29 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by will335i
I also have Progressive for my motorcycle insurance here in Alaska. I am paying $260 for full coverage on a 14 48. I have heard the same things so I am really hoping to never have a claim with them. That being said that full coverage included up $3000 for accessories and road side assistance so I would say its a pretty good deal. My last bike was with State Farm but after they decided to d!ck around my whole family I dropped all my policies with them and went with USAA.

USAA farms out their motorcycle coverage to Progressive BTW.

I have never had car insurance with anyone but USAA, and I even do my banking with them as well for the last 15 years.

That being said I'm not sure they "farm" out their motorcycle insurance to progressive, I just think Progressive is their "preferred" company. Once I asked USAA about mc insurance and they forwarded me to Progressive, their quote was twice what Geico's was, I decided on Geico.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:07 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

I've now been with them (Progressive) for 5 years. Just the other day I got some paperwork in the mail telling me my yearly premiums had goen down from $286/yr to $216/yr. That was *without* anything 'uninsured motorist' stuff.

Also found out that now every year my deductibles will go down by 25% until I have $0 deductible. Suits me just fine!

Figure I'll now ask and see how much my premium will go back up by getting $15,000 uninsured property and bodily.

Find out it brings my premium back up to $276/year, which is $10 cheaper than I'm paying now, so I tell him to do it and just like that I've now got uninsured motorist coverage and can breathe a little easier.

All I can do is hope that *IF* anything ever happens they do me just as good on an accident (if not my fault of course) as they do with how well they do me for prices on coverages and such. So far though, I couldn't be happier.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 PM
sdwold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I had the opposite experience with Progressive. I had been with them for 11 years when suddenly last year my renew rates jumped by $500 a year for my 2 rides. I have never filed a claim and my record is clean. A phone call resulted in being told that for the last several years Progressive had been charging Oregon residents too little for our premiums! Got a new plan through another company for 200 less than what I had been paying, with better coverage and a vanishing deductible. No roadside but I have the HOG roadside Ultra Plus for that.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I had a claim with them last year and ended up getting more that twice the amount I was hoping for. About a week to a week and a half from the time I called them till I was ordering parts. Been with them for about 15 years now.

Quick Reply: Progressive