Motorcycles For Sale Place your ad here if you're selling your Motorcycle. Please read the rules for posting in this section.

08 Cross Bones with Motorvation Spyder hack

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
bueller
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Cross Bones with Motorvation Spyder hack

Deteriorating elbows and upcoming surgery have convinced me it is time to sell my Harley-Davidson Cross bones and Motorvation Spyder sidecar.

More pics in a minute, but first allow me to tell you about what I am selling -

The bike is a 2008 model, purchased in February '08. It currently has 6467 miles. It is still under factory warranty and in excellent condition. Never crashed. At the time I purchased the bike I ordered a Motorvation Spyder sidecar, painted gloss black. I received it in July 2008 and installed it myself. This is the third aftermarket sidecar rig I have put together, along with several Harley TLE sidecars over the years. I am a Harley certified Tech, and prior to that a 20 year Master Auto Tech. In other words I'm experienced and am not just some backyard hack who picked up a wrench one day and declared himself competent! Anyway, the sidecar is equipped with a Brooklands windscreen and has an additional bolt on wrap-around windscreen used when I am taking the dogs for a ride. I also have a dog tether in the bottom of the sidecar, a dog platform that replaces the seat bottom (for larger dogs), and two tonneau covers. The sidecar is equipped with a custom made fender to match the rear fender of the bike, matching spoke wheel, driving light, and an independently operated sidecar brake (it is NOT tied in to the motorcycle's brake system and is operated with its own brake lever). I have a steering damper that I have not installed on this rig, and if the new owner so desires the mounting hardware for the damper can be easily obtained from Motorvation sidecars.

I installed a detachable windshield on the motorcycle. I also removed the Springer fork rockers, cut them, and extended them about 1 inch to reduce trail and make the bike steer a little easier. Dauntless sidecars sells a similar package to modify Springer rockers you supply at a cost of $1000.00, and they only extend them 1/2 inch. After I extended the rockers I found they made the front end sag because they had more leverage on the springs, so I had works performance make me a custom coil over shock to replace the stock damper (shock absorber) and provide more support for the front end. The end result is some reduction in steering effort and a front end that absorbs bumps and responds to irregularities better than the stock suspension setup ever did. When I wore out the rear tire I replaced it with a 205/55 17 car tire that should last between 15,000 - 20,000 miles. The motorcycle is equipped with a stock exhaust so as not to punish/deafen the sidecar passengers. Also included with the rig is a 2nd gloss black Cross Bones gas tank, front fender, and rear fender, all boxed up and in new condition. This paint set alone is worth nearly $2000.00, and would allow the next owner to have custom paint work done if desired while still allowing an original set to be preserved so the bike could be returned to stock at a later date.

Note the rear tire:

Extended rockers:

Custom coil over shock for the front end:

The dogs love it:

I have a lot more pictures from the original uncrating and assembly I can share if the prospective buyer wants to see them.

This is an absolutely stunning looking, functional rig that I have painstakingly built and cared for. I intended to keep it forever, but my physical issues suggest it would do a hell of a lot of sitting in the garage and not get used much. It's too damn nice for that and should be ridden and enjoyed.

I have a heap of money in this rig, and know I will take a substantial loss. That's part of the game. The first owner/builder of a sidecar rig gets the fun of designing and assembling but takes a financial beating. The next owner gets the deal of the century.

I have nearly 30 grand in the bike, sidecar, mods, and spare parts, not including labor, of course. I am asking $20,800. This is a private sale of my own personal bike, but since I work for a family of three Harley dealers I know they can do what is known as a "pass through" and obtain Harley-Davidson financing for the purchaser for a fee. Or if the purchaser is not financing I can have the title in hand for the sale.

If you are interested please contact me to arrange a test ride. But please - no tire kickers or joy rides.

Thanks for looking!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

great set up, If both my german shepherds could fit in that sidecar I would be all over this. pity your pups no more riding for them, hope ya have a truck bed for them to be in the wind

Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
bueller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leohd
great set up, If both my german shepherds could fit in that sidecar I would be all over this. pity your pups no more riding for them, hope ya have a truck bed for them to be in the wind
I have a Rubicon, so they'll get their fix.

I could fit my 67 Lb Siberian in the car with one of the JRT's, but that was the limit. You wouldn't get two dogs the size of my Siberian (or bigger) in there.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:41 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bueller
I have a Rubicon, so they'll get their fix.

I could fit my 67 Lb Siberian in the car with one of the JRT's, but that was the limit. You wouldn't get two dogs the size of my Siberian (or bigger) in there.
yea I figured my 120lb. male wouldn't leave no room for his ma..glad they have the rubicon..my 2 pups love there elcamino.. best of luck with the sale

Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd seen this over on another forum. Nice, nice. I've been daydreaming about this bike.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

great looking hack but the 5 th pic down is that a goldwing i see in garage??????

Old 01-30-2010, 07:30 AM
bueller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 7125
great looking hack but the 5 th pic down is that a goldwing i see in garage??????
I'm a bike *****

The Gold Wing is an appliance, a tool for a job. With my current physical ailments it fits me much better and caused less pain than the bike I really wanted (Road Glide). As a result I was able to continue riding a bit last year (12,000 miles as opposed to a normal year of 25 - 30 thousand). Had I purchased a Road Glide it would have mostly just sat in the garage like the Cross Bones did. Over the last year I haven't cared so much about brand as I have about whether or not I can ride at all.

Last edited by bueller; 01-30-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That is one sweet setup.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 AM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted your bike over here a while back. I saw it on advrider. I had a cross bones and now own a road glide and I must say that its night and day difference. I can't imagine a Road Glide would be that much difference than a Gold Wing on your elbows. What are you asking for this set-up? I love your cross bones with hack by the way....Do you think a female could drive this thing? Also...how hard would it be to install reverse?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 AM
bueller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FunkyNova66
I posted your bike over here a while back. I saw it on advrider. I had a cross bones and now own a road glide and I must say that its night and day difference. I can't imagine a Road Glide would be that much difference than a Gold Wing on your elbows. What are you asking for this set-up? I love your cross bones with hack by the way....Do you think a female could drive this thing? Also...how hard would it be to install reverse?
For me - and considering my current condition - a Road Glide was significantly different than the Wing. I borrowed a Road Glide from work and rode it for a couple hundred miles. I REALLY wanted that bike, but it was painful for me to ride. Wings are built for smaller riders, and being 5'8" and 160 lbs it just fit me better. That was a bitter pill to swallow considering the fact that I am a Service Manager for a family of Harley dealerships, but the desire to be able to continue riding won out over the brand issue. Besides, I still had the Crossbones rig in the garage and could get my Harley fix on shorter rides. Unfortunately my condition deteriorated over last summer, and I couldn't ride the Cross Bones very much.

I am asking $20,800. I don't see any reason why a woman couldn't ride it, but keep in mind sidecar rigs do steer more heavily than a two wheeled motorcycle. There are remedies for that, and the steering effort on my rig can be reduced by about 40% by modifying the rake of the front end. I would have already done it but the reality is with my condition I just don't need to be piloting a hack.

Installing reverse is not a big deal in terms of labor. Kits are available, but I don't remember what they cost off hand. Personally I've never seen the need for reverse on any of the sidecar rigs I've built. A luxury? Sure, but definitely not a necessity.

Quick Reply: 08 Cross Bones with Motorvation Spyder hack