Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Wyoming day trips

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts
Default Wyoming day trips

This summer a I have a group of guys heading out from Eastern SD to Gillette. We are going to stay there for a couple days with a friend that lives there and do some riding. One day we have planned we are going to venture over and cruise through the Black Hills area but I am trying to find some recommendations for another cool day ride route that takes us out from Gillette and back. I had considered riding the Big Horns but I am not sure that route will be real popular since it looks like over 2 hours just to get up to the connection at Ranchester WY. So I am looking for other options to consider.

Anyone have any cool rides that you have done that you could recommend?

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's not much around that area other than what you've already mentioned as far as I know.... Devil's Tower?? You could spend a day or two or three in the Black Hills and make a separate run out to the Tower.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking too.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:05 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

After Devils Tower head south a short ride to Sundance Wyoming. Stop in and have a drink at The Turf Bar. Holly $hit Batman, they believe in a glass of alcohol and a splash of coke.
It's a tiny town, everyone knows where it is. After a couple of drinks the local cop gave most of us a ride back to the motel. We stayed at the Roadway for I think $80 bucks the week after Sturgis Rally.
There is a nice family restaurant a couple blocks from the motel that makes a good home cooked breakfast in the morning to help dry up the hangover and allow you to ride to your next adventure.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 AM
mister_hudson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cprhed
This summer a I have a group of guys heading out from Eastern SD to Gillette. We are going to stay there for a couple days with a friend that lives there and do some riding. One day we have planned we are going to venture over and cruise through the Black Hills area but I am trying to find some recommendations for another cool day ride route that takes us out from Gillette and back. I had considered riding the Big Horns but I am not sure that route will be real popular since it looks like over 2 hours just to get up to the connection at Ranchester WY. So I am looking for other options to consider.

Anyone have any cool rides that you have done that you could recommend?

Thanks.
I was planning on making a similar trip in just over a month. Quick stop in Pierre, Wall, Hill City and then Gillette and Sundance, WY - pass out for the night and head back to Sioux Falls. Don't have the extra time for too much sight seeing this time around - just some miles and wind!