Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Help with Travel Times and Stops through CO

Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with Travel Times and Stops through CO

Hi All

Will be riding through CO sometime late June or early July.
Will be coming in to Grand Junction from UT and staying the night then the next few days riding CO. Below is our general plan.
I know we can do about 400 ~ 500 miles in a day, but with some of the roads and watching for scenery and stops, I'm thinking we should plan for less miles per day.

Looking to get some help here, as well as maybe some out of the way, biker friendly stops (Bars) along the way.

From GJ heading down the 141 thru Gateway and on to Montrose. Then from Monthrose on to Gunnison. I'm thinking this will be 1 day ?

From Gunnison we have a couple of options.

If Kebler Pass is open and dry, may head up 135 to Crested Butte, up to Summerset, then back down the 92 to the 50. Then down the 149 to Southfork. 1 full day?

If Kebler Pass is a no go, then from Gunnison we head down the 149. From Southfork, we will head back west thru Durango, Four Corners, and on to Mexican Hat, UT. Probably not a full day, but will stay in Mex Hat to rest up and start the UT portion the next day.

Any help on this plan cut up into sections as I have them or if I should adjust is greatly appreciated.
And like I said, any good stops along this route or at the planned destinations, also appreciated!

Thanks

Old 01-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

No thoughts on this?
Would a different section of the forum be better? Thanks

Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM
jayhantz7
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Hockey Stick,

Whilst browsing the forums I decided to check my region and saw no one has replied to this.

As a native Coloradan, I am sad to say I have never done this trip on a bike, but after researching it looks amazing. I did drive part of it in a vehicle when I had to drive down to a wedding in Durango. I am all for the Million Dollar Highway (550) as it has great views and some awesome stops in Silverton and Durango.

Your route sounds a lot like the San Juan Skyway route. Are you familiar with the route? If not, this describes it pretty well:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/13....Gs631SiC.dpbs

Good luck and I hope that I could help a little. Wish I have done more riding in the southwest portion of the state!

Old 02-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Hey Thanks Jay

I had given up hope of getting any reply to this post..

I had not heard of the SJ Skyway route you mention, but I'll check out that link. Thanks for that.

Me and at least a couple other riders who will be on our ride have done the Million$ Hwy before. At least one rider has not and wants to do that. I might suggest we split up if others want to do that section and then meet up again in Durango. My moto on rides like this is to have a general idea, be open to changes, and eveyone do what they want.

Thanks again for your input

Old 03-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Haven't seen this. I've ridden much of this. The only sections I haven't ridden is from Grand Junction to Gateway and down to Naturia and Kebler Pass. I've driven it on 4 wheels but never the motorcycle. Doable but it's gravel most of the way.

Most of these routes are very doable with them being 250 to 280 mile days plus stops. Hwy 92 from Hotchkiss to hwy 50 is a MUST. If Kebler Pass isn't doable, hit 92 and just do it both ways. It is completely a different ride in each direction. Heading south on 149 you will think you took a wrong turn but after a few miles it turns into a fabulous road.