National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

BrokenSpoke 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Thor29
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BrokenSpoke 2015

I have searched and can only find a few threads that mention the BrokenSpoke campground. I have an RV spot for 2015. Does anybody have any tips on where the best spots are, the facilities, opinions of the Spoke overall? What little I can find seems good but there is not much from the last couple years. Too late for me to change but would like to hear the good and the bad......

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Boostn
Advanced

I am curious to know too. I got RV full hook up spot there reserved.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stayed at the Spoke in 2010 and 2011 with an RV. In 10 they showed me where to park but not many had arrived and I was able to get a good spot. BTW - I got there on opening day both years. In 11 they told me to just drive out there and pick my space. I selected an end space right along the road at the top of the hill (you will understand this when you see it). The ends are larger but you get a lot of dust from the road because some guys start drinking and try to spin the tire all the way thru the grounds. There were only a few idiots but there were enough to prove drinking and riding equals stupid.

You may think you have "full hook-ups" at the Spoke but not really as they do not have sewer drains and you must depend on a pumper truck to come by. That guy was able to break my gate valve on the black tank and I spent a full day chasing down parts and fixing it myself. What I am saying is you must stay around camp and watch them pump your tank or you could lose a day fixing your RV. So plan on not riding far on days your tank is full.

Hanging out at the pool complex is your best option on days you don't ride. They have bands and contests all afternoon and into the night there and as the booze soaks into the ladies, the fun factor skyrockets!!

TIP - be sure to give the bartenders a huge tip early in the day for best results. I have gone to the rally for many years and the best bartenders I ever found were working the pool at the Spoke. They are awesome beautiful ladies so take good care of them.

In 2010 the Spoke had a flat bed semi trailer all decked out like a grass house. It had stairs on the back for you to climb on as it cruised very slowly around the property. It was not running in 11 but I read they were going to bring it back last year - 2014. I don't know if they did this but if they do this year, , , be sure to hop on and ride it. It is a blast!!

Shade is zero at the Spoke. They just don't have any trees. You will be fine with your RV awnings but be sure to watch the breeze as it can damage things along the top of the hill pretty easy.

If you have a golf cart, mini bike, RZR, quad or anything that moves take it with you. These toys are very handy to get around the property with as it is many acres. It's always better to go drinking on four wheels too. The Broken Spoke Saloon is a fun place to hang out at night unless you want to see the wet tee shirt contest at the pool.

My wife and I are not into concerts so I have little info about those for you. I do know they have a nice stages both inside the Saloon and outside for concerts.

You will be 15 minutes from town before the rally starts and up to 30 minutes after all the bikes show up. The Spoke is pretty far out from Sturgis.

During rally week there will be attendants working at each restroom/shower building. They will have a tip can and be showing it to you every time you go in or out. I recommend you just smile and say Thanks until your last day then give then 20 bucks or so and tell them they did a nice job all week. No need to take a buck every time you need to pi$$.

The Broken Spoke is a decent place to camp but because they are so far out and don't really allow the ladies to be topless much plus no sewer connections there are better places to stay IMO. We starting going to Glencoe in 2012 and love it there much better. Don't worry, you will have a blast at the Spoke but if you get time, ask around and shop for 2016 to see if you find a venue that offers what you like/need better.

Best regards and see you at Sturgis!!

Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Thor29
Novice

Mowdoc, thanks for the info!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser

No problem, friend. Glad to help.

You didn't say if this is your first trip to Sturgis but I have a few more tips for you.

Have some fresh water in your RV tank when you arrive at the Spoke and then you should fill it after you get set-up. Both years I stayed there the water pipes broke and we were without for about 12-14 hours. Those of us with water in our tanks were fine but others were smelling pretty strong in the Saloon that night!!

Also, be sure your generator has fuel. In 2010 the power was off a full afternoon and we had to fire them up for A/C.

These problems are not exclusive to the Spoke as every camp I have stayed in at Sturgis has lost something for a few hours. We lost the main water pump at Glencoe last year and had to use our fresh tanks for a day and a half!! Go prepared and you will be ahead of the pack.

The Broken Spoke RV area has few spaces that are level. If you are early enough you can get one but you should take blocks to level your rig with just in case you get parked on the hillside. Even the newer units with auto level hydraulic systems may find they need blocks to get level.

All roads in the Spoke camp are gravel and get very messy after a rain. Some of the side roads even get soft and I have seen and helped several guys get unstuck. The camp spaces get very soft when wet but the ones near the top of the hill will dry in just a few hours. The ground on the hill drains fast.

There are spaces down below the general store that seem to stay swampy a long time after rain so I would stay away from them if possible. Your best bet is on the hill and on top of the hill is best.

gotta run right now - more later

Old 01-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Boostn
Advanced

That is great info! I will make plans and list of what I need to know and bring. I do have 4 seater polaris RZR that I would consider to bring it. Parking on hill or near it sounds like a must have spot if there is a "full hook up" spot there....

How bad do roads get muddy to rv spots? Does Broken Spoke have bike washing station or do I need to go someplace to have a beer to watch girls in bikini wash my bike

Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 PM
mowdoc
Cruiser

Your 4 seat RZR is large and not easy to haul, I know. Unless you are the type who rides your motorcycle every day I would suggest you bring the RZR, however. Campers that tend to enjoy staying around camp will love having it available. The Broken Spoke has a lot of acres that you can ride on. Be sure to drive south along the pond and up over the hill. The RZR will be your main ride to the pool, restrooms and Saloon. With 4 seats, you will make friends fast to go drinking with!! Much safer than riding the hog home from the saloon too.

The main road becomes very messy after rain. It is solid but very messy. DO NOT try to ride your bike around mud holes and get off the roadway because the shoulder has no gravel and is very greasy. I see guys drop bikes all the time doing this so don't try. You will be better off riding on the turf as it has the grass for traction.

Yes, there are places to wash your bike plus you could use your water tap at camp with a hose you bring. Personally, I will pay the babes in bikinis to clean my ride while I take pics!! This is part of the Sturgis experience IMO. Bikini bike washes are everywhere so take advantage.

The roads are laid out similar to herringbone except they are square, not angled. The main road up the middle stays solid when wet but gets messy as hell. The side roads are softer but not so messy. Everything on the hill drains well and dry very fast as the soil is good stuff. They will be fine a couple hours after rain stops. The main road will stay messy longer because of traffic.

Take the RZR and drive it slow until things dry up and you will not be cleaning anything!! The Spoke will allow your RZR anywhere on the property. During night concerts, the parking lot is half full of toys the campers bring so they can drink.

For those reading this who don't own a toy vehicle - get online and see if you can rent a golf cart. Most camps offer this thru an outside vender. They are not cheap, about $300 a week, but that is much cheaper than a new tank because you dropped your bike trying to get back to the camper after drinking all afternoon!!

People Please Listen to me here - - - the law enforcement around the rally is extreme. They have many, many ways to stop you just to smell your breath. Do all your serious drinking at your own campground and walk or ride a toy vehicle to get home. It don't take much to spend a night in jail and pay huge fines so just keep the heavy drinking close to the camp.

Those of you staying at the Spoke will notice they change the speed limit on 79 during the rally. Watch your speed as they will be out there with radar every day. The law is changed during rally week and you MUST put both feet down or it is not a legal stop too. Practice this now.

I'm getting on a cruise ship tomorrow but I will be back on here in a week to answer any other questions.

Bon Voyage!!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Boostn
Advanced

How was your cruise? Hope you had good time and stay hydrated with drinks!

Weather wise at the rally, is there any concern for hail storms or something like that? I am wondering if I would have room next to my trailer to set up a big enough heavy duty tent to protect 2 touring bikes?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:16 PM
mowdoc
Cruiser

The wife and I had an excellent cruise!! We set new record (this was our 21st cruise) on bar tab of $690 in 7 days!! Never got off the ship as we had been to these ports many times before.

What size/type is your RV? A 40 foot toy hauler might be pretty tight with a tent and tow vehicle unless you get an end space - plenty of room on those. A 40 foot class A would have no problem without the tow truck. A 20 foot hauler would allow room for tent, truck and party space.

Yes, go prepared for hail. It does not do this every year but you have to have a plan. Most guys park inside their trailer or hauler at night, especially if the weather looks rough. You don't have to tie them down, just run them in for the night.

In 2011 we had a little storm blow by that lasted about 5 minutes. It blew my Road King over sitting in a Condor stand!! It was along side my camper too. The wind can get going fast at the Spoke as there are no trees or anything to break it down. Lots of RV awnings bought it that time too. It came out of the blue very quickly and surprised us all. Just part of the Mid-West weather.

Buy and take a portable NOAH weather radio to have in your camper plus after you get there put a radar page for the area in your phone bookmarks for quick info. Seek shelter in the Saloon or pool building if severe stuff is coming. Save your butt and let the camper go. You can replace the camper!!