National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

Riding from SC to Sturgis 2015

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 AM
ken10652
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding from SC to Sturgis 2015

The plan is to ride from SC to the Quad Cities (Davenport Ia) pick a buddy or few and ride the next day to Sturgis, spend a few days 3 or 4 and ride back, whole trip in 9 days from the 1st thru the 9th (need a day to recover before going back to work. If anyone is interested let me know. I'm doing the low budget thing, camping plenty of sites left in the $23.00 to $35.00 a night range and then I can blow the rest of the budget on the party.

Let me know if you're interested
Ken

Old 06-21-2015, 11:49 AM
ken10652
Cruiser

Wife just reminded me of my age, spent the day reworking the trip, day one Columbia to just outside of Indianapolis, day 2, Indianapolis to davenport (4 hours, and then on to Souix Falls SD another 5 hours. Day 3, five hours to Sturgis, 4 days of party culminating with John Fogerty on Wed night. Back to the Quad Cities (Davenport Ia) on Thursday. Friday on to somewhere between Knoxville Tn and Asheville NC. Saturday morning back home. I'm using AirBNB for lodging (very reasonable and more secure than a motel parking lot for the bike). Depending on how much food and how many tattoos one would get the whole trip is in the range of $750 to $1000. If anyone else is interested contact me and lets get things set.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

which days/date are you talking about here as far as leaving home? And what is airBNB? is that a bed and breakfast?
Im no spring chicken either, but if I can get one of them yung fellers to pull me up off the ground in the am Ill be alright.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:39 AM
ken10652
Cruiser
Default Ride to Sturgis

First of all ain't none of getting any younger! AirBnB, google it, its great, its folks who have a spare room since the kids moved away or just a bit more house than they use, so they let strangers (at first, if all goes well friends later) come into their home and rent a bed for a night or as long as they might need. Its usually way cheaper than a motel and its a great way to meet new folks along this road of life we're all on. My plan has been slightly modified, I am leaving the 31st of July very very early, and getting to Mahomet Illinois the first day, 750 miles probably 12 to 13 hour day.

Then its on to Burlington Iowa, meeting up with a buddy that's going along and on to Sioux Falls SD at least on Saturday.

Get up Sunday and on into the Buffalo Chip for 38 Special on Sunday night.

Party! Party! Party!

Thursday Morning, pack up the tent and with tears in our eyes and lumps in our throats we bid fond fair adieu and head back to reality.

Where are you heading out from? You're more than welcome, we can always work out "new Changes".

Let me know

Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Knutson Boltz
Banned

I'm in East Tn. near I-81 and not far from Kentucky and Virginia. I cant seem to find anyone around here who is "definitely going"...lots of maybe's and if's.

That just seems like a long way to ride alone, ya know? And I hate to have to glom on to a group at a gas station, but I am going and I have no set plans. I will most likely stay longer than you so I will have the same problem coming back. I have summers off each year and I plan to see it all while I am up there.

I've driven 1159 miles alone in a car, by the time I got there (Houston, TX.), I was drooling and cross-eyed, didn't know my name for two days!

Old 07-12-2015, 05:58 AM
ken10652
Cruiser
Default Look for me, I'm the guy in the Black tee shirt

Its a great country, I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks heading that way. I was at the Stealership yesterday getting new front tire and "on their suggestion" front wheel bearings, I never walk in there expecting to spend $50 and don't end up giving them $150, they mentioned that everyone getting their bikes ready for the "event"! Anyway all seems well now so the bike is getting a transfusion this afternoon and that's the last thing I'm doing except riding. I have spent so much on crap at the wife's suggestion, Simulated Go Pro for video's along with some serious disco bondage attachments that should allow me to take everything from helmet cam shots to a selfie colonostemy! Self inflating memory foam sleeping pad for the bag of bones that remains of my body, lantern with built in fan, solar shower bag, solar coffee maker, I'm certain the US Army was not as well equipped when we invaded Iraq, and they had tanks to pile their crap on! 20 days two hours and two minutes from right now and its all on! Be safe maybe see you there, I'll be the guy wearing a black tee shirt and riding a Harley.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:08 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Well Ken wish you were more excited about going. Lol. My brother and I are leaving either 7/30 afternoon or 7/31 morning. The only difference is I don't do the camping scene anymore. No one to impress or kill my old bones. Lol. Travel a lot for work so I use hotel points when I travel. Thanks for letting us know what you will be wearing and riding. Should be an easy find for anGone. We plan on getting to Rapid city Sunday. Not planning on staying around too long. We are finishing the rest of the lower 48 on this trip to have all 48 on our current bikes.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned

Black shirt and black painted HD. Man you're gonna stick out like a sore thumb. I'll have no problem spotting you. Tell ya what, I'll dress the same and we outta spot each other without any problem whatsoever....