National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Pops Fun
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2013

My sister,brother-in-law and I are riding down fom Cincinnati. We've haven't been to one of these, any helpful hints???

Steve

Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went in the 1980s from 1981 to 1985 both spring and fall. Then I didn't go for many years but, I went back last spring.

Basically, South Myrtle Beach has functionally outlawed motorcycles. So, bike week is in Murrells Inlet, SC or North Myrtle. I did Murrells Inlet and Surfside Beach. It was a lot of fun.

My guess is that at some point you'll come down I-77, to 52 into Winston Salem. Then head East on I-40, South on 220, to highway 1 in Rockingham NC, I-74 East to SC 38. Take 38 to 501. Ride on through Conway SC and turn right on 544. At this point you can just ride 544 into business 17 which is the road that boarders the beach it's self. Turn right and Murrells Inlet is just a few miles. The road will fork to the left and you'll see everything. Immediately there will be the original Suck Bang Blow on the left and the Beaver Bar on the right. If you go another block parking starts to ease up a bit.

One note about gas stops. If you need gas at the NC state line there is a truck stop on the Va. side of the line. That's the best stop for the next few miles on 77. To stop in Mt. Airy puts you way off the highway. In Winston Salem be careful on 52. It's urban so, just watch your six. Stop for gas again in Greensboro before you head South on 220 (if that's your route). In Asheboro there's *** HD right off of the highway if you have a need for any repairs, etc.. It's located South of Asheboro. There's also the motorcycle museum in Asheboro on 64 West side of Asheboro, that specializes in pre-twin cam Harleys. I buy stuff from them regularly. The old man there knows as much about an EVO or Shovel as anyone alive. There's gas stations pretty regularly the rest of the way but, gas up on the North side of Bennettsville SC. When you fork to the right on 38 in North Bennettsville stop at one of the gas stations there. If you wait till you get into Bennettsville your choices will be those kinds of gas stations with used condoms in the parking lot. If memory serves gas stations are scarce South of Bennettsville for a while. I always try to stop at about 100 miles or less so, I'm not pushing. Plus, my back side needs the break.

Don't assume that the weather will be warm. last year it was freakin cold on the Sunday morning ride out of Myrtle Beach (last weekend). The ride from Myrtle to I-95 was brutal as we hadn't planned for that. I did have a leather jacket and gloves but, not really cold weather gear. A rain suit will be a good idea.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn hotel in Surfside beach. It was a nice place. If you plan to camp the Lakewood campground allows motorcycles at the campsites during bike week. Make reservations before you leave Ohio and confirm the motorcycle thing. It could change from year to year.

As a rule I avoid S. Myrtle as I don't need any extra hassles. The city limits are right near the Harley dealer on business 17. That's as far as I go anyway.

You can head to North Myrtle by going back up to 544 and taking the Myrtle Bays parkway (31). The vendors are located at Barefoot landing, or so I'm told. The metric bike folks tell me that the vendors are better in North Myrtle Beach. There are some decent restaurants up that way too. 31 does cross through the S. Myrtle limits for a bit but, I'm told that as long as you stay cool you'll get no hassles.

Restaurants: I don't know what to tell you here. My wife and I RV at Myrtle a few times a year and I have tried many of them. Most are over priced for mediocre seafood. Usually you can do well for seafood in Murrells Inlet. If the restaurant is big and flashy you know it's a tourist trap and the advertised price might include some hidden cost. If you can eat like a horse then you might try Crabby Mikes buffet. But, I will not say it's a good deal. They do have a big selection and crab legs all you can eat. It's kind of a tourist trap but, not terrible. It's located just a bit North of Murrells inlet.

In Murrells Inlet there is a little restaurant on the right about a mile in or so that was great the last couple of times that I ate there. It's a small place and I can't remember the name. You'll see it, a little place on the right about a mile in or so from 17.

If you're looking for some riding head South through Georgetown to Charleston SC. It's a cool town and only a couple of hours of easy riding away. Stay near the water front and you'll find some neat places. Or, head North up into NC and go to Calabash. Good eatin up there too. In fact, for seafood I would go Calabash or Murrells Inlet only.

On Bypass 17 up from Murrells Inlet you'll find the newer Suck Bang Blow. It's a little bigger than the Murrells Inlet version. I prefer the Murrells Inlet version.

Be careful with drinking and driving. The authorities are in no mood to cut anyone a break so, do what you can stand in that area. I will drink a beer or two while I'm there but, I usually walk it off for a couple of hours (a coke and a burger) before I get on the road.

There are vendors lined up behind the Suck Bang Blow in MI. Lots of patches, ride pins, shirts, leather, etc.. Some will be located beside of the Beaver Bar too. You cant miss them. If the topless Fire Ball Whiskey girl is there this year try a shot. If you like fire ball jaw breakers you'll love that stuff. I was glad it was just a shot or I'd have been running naked through the woods with the bunny rabbits.

There will be several bands playing in the immediate Murrells Inlet area. The burn out pit is located behind the SBB. We usually find a seat some place, nurse a beer and watch the people and bikes.

All in all I have never had a bad time at the Myrtle Beach rally. Of course, my expectations aren't that high. This year we're going for more than just the weekend like last year. I can't imagine that we will be in Murrells Inlet for more than one day. Can't say what we'll do but, I expect to do a lot of riding. Maybe Charleston for a day trip.

If you're in Murrells Inlet and have bike trouble there are a couple of mechanics set up behind the SBB. Last year a guy had a dead battery and they rolled it back there and repaired it. I also saw them mounting tires. On Saturday last year it was crowded as heck back there so, just be advised.

You can get up on the roof of the original SBB. That's a good place to people watch. Also, find a seat in front of the Beaver bar and you can chill there. They will have scantly clad females serving beer everywhere out there so, that's not a problem.

Oh, almost forgot, there are like twenty port-a-potties in the very back of the lot at the SBB. They have people keeping them clean so, plan to tip. It's worth it as they actually do keep them clean and, when nature calls, the answer isn't optional.

If you're an Air Force veteran the old base is located a couple of miles North of the Harley Shop on the left of business 17. As you enter the old gate the veterans memorial park is right there on the right. There is a A-10 on static display there that I busted my knuckles on back in the day. Also, there is a pub in the old base command post dedicated to military veterans and the old base.

Most of all, relax and have fun. Bike Week is good therapy. Bikers are always friendly. Even if you accidentally cross into S. Myrtle you'll probably be fine as long as you don't rev your engine and show out. There is a law that you can only have two bikes in a parking spot so pay attention to that. They have a law the prohibits loud mufflers on bikes so, if you have those you roll the dice on that. I have V&H Big Shots and they are plenty loud. So, I stay out of SMB. Hey, they were on the bike when I bought it and it's tuned for them so..

Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Cops are horrible, rooms are almost as bad as Daytona and you have to be careful about your **** getting stolen in some areas. Myrtle Beach has gone extremely downhill in the last 10 years. If you do anything, do it outside of the inner city and it won't be as bad.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I forgot to mention that if you're coming down 77 to 52 through Winston Salem then I-40 business West you'll drive right by Smokin HD. Don't know why I forgot that, that's where I bought my bike. Just in case you're in need of a repair.

Yea, Myrtle Beach bike week is nothing like it was in the 1980s. There were still cold blooded thieves out there steeling bikes and such. I've never had any trouble personally and have never known anyone that had any trouble. As far as theft goes, I think it's better now than it was in 1984-ish. Motorcycle theft at the spring rally was terrible. Thieves would literally steal semi-truck loads of bikes.

In the 1980s the rally was a lot of fun though. It was less regulated and went 24 hours a day. The rally basically covered the beach from Murrells Inlet to Calabash NC. There were bikes everywhere. The S. MB laws have cut it in the middle and the downturn in the economy hasn't helped much either. It's still a pretty good time though.

There is some grumbling about how the people who coordinate the rally handle vendors. I'm not sure what the issues are and really don't care that much. If I'm to like sausage I don't need to know how it's made. Same with church, it's better when you don't know what happens behind the scenes.

I just consider the MB rally a mini vacation. I'll ride down there and chill for a few days. I have a good time but then, I have a good time anywhere I go.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM
springer-skid
Intermediate

Last edited by springer-skid; 03-29-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Philly1978
4th Gear
Default Lock you **** Up

Get a condo with a garage or a hotel with 24 hr security. Dont try staying close to the strip to many ignorant people. You will have a good time as long as you secure your stuff at night..

Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Pops Fun
Novice

Staying out a little ways.... Leaving tomorrow from Cincy, supposed to be in the 40's.

Steve

Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM
TONANG33
2nd Gear
Default More Attractions coming to MB

Jackyl
House of Blues Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, SC
Sat, May 18, 2013 08:30 PM also FTS will also be there at House of Blues

Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Pops Fun
Novice

Originally Posted by Pops Fun
Staying out a little ways.... Leaving tomorrow from Cincy, supposed to be in the 40's.

Steve
How did this get in here Rode down to Daytona Bike week , unplanned just did it... My brother-in-law and I
Here is a short write up..
http://popsfun.com/Daytona%202013/da...week%2013.html

Thanks again for the replies...

Steve