National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

Glencoe info for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:00 PM
OzarkMark
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabins at Glencoe?

Hope this thread hasn't closed yet...
Had a question for the Glencoe veterans about camp sites vs. Cabins, as I didn't see any comments or info about the cabins at Glencoe. They're a bit pricey, but some have running water. Worth it? Any comments or insights regarding location, etc?
Thanks, looking to be there for the 75th next year!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:02 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cabins at Glencoe are in clusters around the grounds. None are close to the Alley and you would have to walk or ride a short distance to join that party.

I have only been inside one cabin and it was the same as any cabin you will find at any other campground. I think the same company builds all the cabins at campgrounds?

I think several of the cabin clusters are used by employees but I'm not sure about this. The clusters are located around the RV area.

Sorry I am not much help but I don't have much experience with cabins and my friends don't either.

I can promise you will have much fun at Glencoe regardless of how you camp there.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I've always stayed at the Chip. I thought this year, I'd try out a different place, ie Glencoe. Arrived at Glencoe Monday evening (8/4/2014) and stayed till Sunday (8/10/2014). While I thought the restrooms and showers were fairly clean, it lacked that circus atmosphere of the Chip. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I thought the "Alley" was a disappointment. Maybe I wasn't around at the "appropriate" times. I was typically out all day riding, and back in the campground in the late evening.
It's back to the Chip for me. I just think the party is better over there, plus there is certainly much more going on and the bands/concerts are better.
If the "Alley" is really your interest, there are certainly much better rallies to see that. Check out some of the smaller rallies, like
Bamafest
HogRock
Indiana Boogie
EasyRiders Rodeo in Chillicothe, OH

Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed so I can revisit this thread next year. I'm gonna head out alone and plan to tent camp. I hope I can run into some of you veterans to help show me around. One question I have is there any charging stations for cell phones, etc that us tent campers can use? Also is there laundry mat around?

Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trnewman
Subscribed so I can revisit this thread next year. I'm gonna head out alone and plan to tent camp. I hope I can run into some of you veterans to help show me around. One question I have is there any charging stations for cell phones, etc that us tent campers can use? Also is there laundry mat around?

There is laundry available on the grounds.
Charging, look into a small solar panel for just that purpose.
I see you ride a Street Glide, do you have a cig lighter on it?
I have iPhone, bought an adapter plug with two usb inputs, I leave it plugged in while I'm riding.

Mowdoc.....did I thank you for the kind words on my campsite? Easy when you're alone or hung over all day sleeping inside!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwoozn
There is laundry available on the grounds.
Charging, look into a small solar panel for just that purpose.
I see you ride a Street Glide, do you have a cig lighter on it?
I have iPhone, bought an adapter plug with two usb inputs, I leave it plugged in while I'm riding.

Mowdoc.....did I thank you for the kind words on my campsite? Easy when you're alone or hung over all day sleeping inside!
Good news about the laundry. Will be able to save some space for tent, bag etc. yes I have a outlet on bike...slipped my mind...lol
Thanks for the info. Already counting down the days.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I've always stayed at the Chip. I thought this year, I'd try out a different place, ie Glencoe. Arrived at Glencoe Monday evening (8/4/2014) and stayed till Sunday (8/10/2014). While I thought the restrooms and showers were fairly clean, it lacked that circus atmosphere of the Chip. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I thought the "Alley" was a disappointment. Maybe I wasn't around at the "appropriate" times. I was typically out all day riding, and back in the campground in the late evening.
It's back to the Chip for me. I just think the party is better over there, plus there is certainly much more going on and the bands/concerts are better.
If the "Alley" is really your interest, there are certainly much better rallies to see that. Check out some of the smaller rallies, like
Bamafest
HogRock
Indiana Boogie
EasyRiders Rodeo in Chillicothe, OH
I just booked our campsite for Glencoe, disappointed to see your review on Chilli being better sites ! We made Chilli the last 2 years(dually carryall)

Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The first weekend of the rally is the best party at Glencoe. Once the concerts starts people go to concerts and the alley slows down. People get to Glencoe early to reserve a spot on the alley and then lots of them leave on Wednesday or Thursday and the alley is pretty quiet after that time. Make sure you are there the first Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evening if you want to experience the alley at it's best. Just my two cents.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

we'll be taking the cart and the bike planning on arriving wed. or early thurs. and coming home tues or wed. with a museum or factory tour on the way, 1300 miles one way.

prices already went up $25.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:11 PM
gambler109
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
I just booked our campsite for Glencoe, disappointed to see your review on Chilli being better sites ! We made Chilli the last 2 years(dually carryall)
It all depends what you like. If you want big concerts and vendors the Chip is hard to beat. If you like a party, I think Glencoe offers a little more. We travel in a motorhome and the fact Glencoe has full hook-ups (water, sewer, & electric) is a big + to us.

Quick Reply: Glencoe info for beginners