National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

Sturgis 2015

Old 10-09-2014, 06:24 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by mowdoc
Hot Dang, dribble, you made my day!! I was a little bummed when you posted you was "on the fence about next year" a few weeks ago. We have been backdoor neighbors for a few years now and I don't want new ones.

I'm going to have to come up with a steak supper for us all and then maybe a group trip down the alley. I met some wonderful people this year and they will be invited too. Gambler109 is booked for 15 and kwoozn might return. I think an old friend, Vkngfrt, is coming next year and he has a new SGS I can't wait to see. It will be a great party for sure.

Hey, could you bring a cinder block or something and put it under your camper window? I get real tired standing on my tip toes looking in!!!!
Hell, I'll just leave the door open for you.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
gambler109
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there for sure...glad I paid before the rates went up! However I was disappointed I was moved over three spaces for '15. Because we all booked as a group, they had to move us. I guess someone booked one of our spots two years ago, and we got bumped down a few spots, but at least we are all still together and going to be there! We have to meet up on the Alley this year!!

So my advice for Sturgis 2015...

1. BOOK NOW!!!! Rates go up as it gets closer and with it being the 75th anniversary prices are at an all time high and good places are at a premium.
2. Be sure to ride to Custer State Park, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, and Spearfish Canyon at the minimum.
3. Take a day with no plans but to poke through all the bars and tourist traps in Sturgis. Just DONT DRINK AND RIDE! Its not worth the risk to you and everyone else on the road,
4. Pick a concert to see and go. There is nothing like a concert in Sturgis.
5. Bring rain gear. It WILL rain.
6. Bring warm clothes, it will get cold.
7. Bring warm weather clothing. It will get Hot!
8. Bring a camera. You wont believe the fun!
9. What happens in Sturgis stays in Sturgis. These are all adults having a fun time. Don't ruin somebody's career by posting a stupid picture on the internet. Keep them for yourself and to show others, not online (unless you have permission!)
10. Be prepared to make new friends. Every year we meet new people and enjoy it more and more!

Last edited by gambler109; 10-20-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I'm so glad I booked before leaving this year. I have saved over $200 bucks already!!

They tried to move me a couple spaces north but I made some calls and got that fixed. They was not listening to me until I told them I HAD to be neighbors with dribble and then everything fell into place.

That makes two years in a row they have let me reserve M-19 and then tried to give me someplace else?? I have had M-19 four years straight but not without a fight? I would love to have a patio poured on that space but they would give it away for sure then!!!

Oh well, it looks like 2015 is solved, , , , , for now. No patio though

Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 AM
Vikingfrt
Intermediate
Default Mowdoc and Dribble

This Sturgis I will be seeing you fine folk to make some more great memories like this one.

Topless Tuesday. Good Lord!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Qman
6th Gear

I have reservations for a 2 bedroom this year - but probably won't make it. IMHO, Sturgis has some of the best riding you'll find - I've certainly enjoyed my trips to Sturgis thus far.

I like to catch it earlier in the schedule than later - and plan for at least 5 days. I did a quick weekend trip the first time & felt cheated cause there was so much so see & so much riding to be done.

My 2 cents...Q

Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Oldun
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

This will be my fourth Sturgis in 10 years, and every time I have found new things to see and do - while repeating the usual pleasure of riding the Black Hills' roads and of course, picking a new route on the bike from LA to back, or Phoenix to back, depending where I start from (flying in from the Antipodes...).

I got advice from this forum before I turned up the first time, and it was sound.
- Early in the day is the best for riding, later in the day is best for sightseeing, late in the evening is best for people watching...
- Deer are an occasional risk especially early and late
- Stay well clear of the centre line because there are quite a few people with perhaps not that many miles under their belt who can't keep it tight on the curves.
- Parking in Sturgis is easy until about 11, after that, you may not make a quick getaway unless parking well clear of the centre of town
- Walking in Sturgis is always fun

My personal picks as a 'furriner 'not necessarily in this order
Black Hills roads, generically (especially Iron Mountain)
The Badlands Loop (all of it)
Devils Mountain (as well as there and back)
Mount Rushmore (classic history)
Deadwood (iconic)
Crazy Horse (awesome)
Air Force museum (just outside Rapid City)
Custer State Park

This year, although I've never done it before, but my Bride is joining me halfway (arriving by plane :-) ) I'm going to add a helicopter tour for both of us with Black Hills Aerial Adventures who seem highly recommended.

Three of the last four times I stayed in Rapid City & am doing that again. (From what I can tell, you can't lock-in any corporate accommodation rates regardless of loyalty programs and cards during rally season...).

In terms of travel tips, the only ones I can add:
- I bought one of those small foldable portable scooters the shoulder strap which means I can park some distance away from congested places, zip along to see what I wanna see, then get back faster than walking.
- Riding cross-country in the States I like to travel as light as possible; I keep a set of riding gear stored with my bike in LA, so I travel with a carry-on only all away from home. I UPS clothes to my hotel in Rapid City ahead of my arrival, and courier stuff back to LA ahead of my departure. Travelling light is a boon I found; just a couple of days worth of clothes, rain gear, tools, necessary electronics, and a fly for shelter to sleep under when there are no Motel 6's to be found.
- If you've got a great-looking airbrushed bike, ya may want to bring a tarp for the (reasonably inevitable) hailstorms to protect the paintwork. (My '04 Vrod is ratty enough these days I only cover the airbox (since the Bride's portrait is painted there))

I am most definitely looking forward to the 75th; as others have said, there is always something for everyone.

See you on the road!!!

Last edited by Oldun; 07-10-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 PM
stevenmc
6th Gear
Default End

I prefer anytime. Before is calm, during is absurd, the end is anti-climatic. The most interesting time is a month before when the town is empty and the place starts to "wake up."