National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

Sturgis Newbie

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
6shootr
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sturgis Newbie

Girlfriend and I just lost a close friend unexpectedly last week and it has really got me thinking about my life and the things I have been putting off doing. Instead of waiting, I want to take some time off and take the girlfriend to Sturgis. Don't want to wait anymore incase I never get the chance. This would be our first time to the Black Hills let alone the rally. I've been riding since the 80's and want to get on the road and clear my head. Thinking about going out 8/7 from Minnesota and driving non-stop (trailering) and coming back on Monday 8/11 or Tuesday 8/12.

Questions.

1. Obviously I haven't made reservations yet so hotels are probably out. Plus I don't see the need to spend $200+ on a room that will only be used to sleep. What campgrounds are suggested for the short time frame and short notice. (Like to party and drink but like to sleep also)

2. Like little towns and watering holes. Any suggestions on what/where to visit?

3. Any advantages/disadvantages to going the dates above?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most campgrounds charge by the event which means same price for one night or 15 nights, however long you want to stay. The larger party grounds, Buffalo Chip, Broken Spoke and Glencoe are like that. I think the smaller camps charge the same way but never stayed at one.

There are many small towns in the Black Hills and I'm sure each one has a water hole. Look at a map going south and west of Sturgis and see them all.

The time you are coming in is very late for the rally but I understand this trip is not for the rally. I would guess that by Saturday night the motels will have dropped rates back to normal as many rally people leave on Friday and Saturday. You should call and see - maybe no need for trailer and tent?

Good Luck

Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if this is a one time thing, i would go during the main part of the rally...the races, the bands, the crowds. it is quite a show and you need to see it all. JMO

Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
if this is a one time thing, i would go during the main part of the rally...the races, the bands, the crowds. it is quite a show and you need to see it all. JMO
A agree^^^, if time will allow try to go earlier. You'll be passing all the bikes going east by the time you go. I left too early last year that's why I'm staying for the whole thing this year. Try the Lamphere Ranch. It's across the street from the Full Throttle Saloon and next door to Glencoe campground. Great location, near a lot of venues, free shuttle bus, showers, food etc. There's a lot of partying going on there but you can still get enough sleep. I believe it's under $25 a night for tent camping.

Best of luck to you, your making the right call going regardless of when.

Last edited by E8USMCRET; 07-22-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Tomcat98
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strap a tent and a couple of sleeping bags on that thing and ride it all the way to Sturgis! You will not be alone. If you don't have room mail your stuff to the post office and they will hold it for you. I agree going early in the week of the Rally seems to be better. We camp about two blocks off the main drag for $20 a night in someones yard with use of the facilities, etc. I have stayed out at the campgrounds as well. All is pretty good. Tomcat98

Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by mowdoc
Most campgrounds charge by the event which means same price for one night or 15 nights, however long you want to stay. The larger party grounds, Buffalo Chip, Broken Spoke and Glencoe are like that. I think the smaller camps charge the same way but never stayed at one.
You can actually camp by-the-night at The Chip. Basically, if you pay to see the nightly concert, you can camp that night.