Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New rider from Chicago...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 PM
CrapperJohn
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider from Chicago...

Greetings all, just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I live just north of Chicago, in Evanston, IL. I am a mid-40's "Gen-X'er." Just picked up a 2015 Iron 883 and am new to riding. well, I haven't ridden in about 30 years, so that pretty much makes me new again!

I took a riding class late last year and got my M license so I figured I'd upgrade from my 100cc Scooter this summer. I wasn't *planning* on getting a sportster, or a Harley, at all. As a matter of fact, I was pretty fond of the Triumph Bonneville... read alot about them, and saw a couple that were set up in stores as props (Not a dealer).

But one day I was in Glenview where there's an HD dealer and thought maybe I would road test the City 750. After seeing these online, I thought it would give me the same type of ride as the Bonney, but in a smaller package. While there, I looked at the 883. The salesman offered to take me out on the 750 while he took the 883. He said we could switch at some point so I can see how both rode and to see if one suited me better than the other.

I first rode off on the Street. Noticed right away of a surging issue on it (fuel light was on). After stalling it out a few times at a couple lights, we stopped off. My confidence was shot. I thought it would be a good time to ride the Sporty. Right away, the sales guy was having trouble getting going and thought it was out of gas! D'oh. He said he'd meet me back, so I rode off on the Sportster. Man, what a difference. Not just that it didn't stall, but the whole experience. The way it rode, and they way it made me feel just oozed cool. Loved the mechanical nature of the shifting and rumbling of the Evolution Engine!

When I got back I was immediately thinking that was the bike for me. I still wanted to properly test the Street, so they brought one out that worked. I rode it half the distance and thought to myself, "Man this isn't the same experience." Sure it was smoother, quieter, and handled better. But I didn't get that same feeling of "Coolness" that the Iron gave me. When I got back, I had time to ponder. I was waiting for the wife to come get me and thought, "OK, I need to test ride the Bonney, but the Triumph dealer is damn near 50 miles away! When can I make it there?"

Just then, the "aggressive sales manager" came up with a contract in hand. I had no intention of purchasing a bike that day. After an hour of listening to him tell me how I would regret buying one, my wife showed up. He then went into "What would it take mode." I thought, OK, let's see how low he could go. I already got the lowest rate available, so I just went by what the payment would be.

After getting them to come down about $800 off list, plus a chance in their "cash grab" room (A little room where money is blown around and you grab as much as you can). I went out and talked to the wife. She basically said "what are you waiting for" and I signed the dotted line! And I drove home with a New Iron 883! (Plus a $200 gift card from the cash grab) YAY!

I never have made such a purchase that quickly, but getting them to knock about $20 a month off my payment made it too easy. Probably could have gotten a little more, but what can you do... I though it was a pretty good deal.

Now I own a Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 and might I say, it does ooze cool. I've gotten so many compliments and the commute to downtown Chicago along Lake Shore Drive is awesome! Every once in a while I'll pass a Bonney and wonder. But somehow, it doesn't matter to me that I didn't try one. I am satisfied with my purchase.

One final thought. If I had solely gone by the reviews, I am sure I would have chosen the Triumph. But after riding the Iron for a couple weeks I realize that all of the "negatives" I read about the Iron 883. (Cannot take tight corners without scraping pegs, Slower 1/4 mile speeds, lower power, lower top end speeds, uncomfortable on long hauls, etc) I realize that none of that matters as that isn't the type of rider I am. At least not now.

My commute has some tight turns and it handled them just fine. I'm not a drag racer, so if a bike wants to race, they'd be racing themselves! I don't plan on many jaunts on I-90/94, and when I do, I am not concerned that it doesn't hit 115 MPH. And my only long trip I am planning is a ride up the Lake Geneva (About 70 miles). So all of those negatives don't translate. So again, thanks for reading and I'll be looking for some guidance from the more experienced riders in this community. I am already thinking of picking up a saddle seat and a matching solo bag. Brown distressed leather seems to look real nice against the black denim paint. Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to some great riding and tinkering on my new ride!

PS, is it protocol to give your bike a name?

Last edited by CrapperJohn; 05-28-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Welcome to the "New Members Area" of the HD Forums from Texas.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado!

Congrats on the new bike!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:16 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,849 Likes on 2,806 Posts

Welcome

Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Welcome from South Dakota. I get to your area for work occasionally. If you could delete all the cages there are some great roads for riding there. Be sure to check out the regions section as there are quite a few Windy city riders.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/great-lakes-36/

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Welcome from Maryland

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Lou'sUltra
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Welcome from Ohio

Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 PM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

welcome from Milwaukee

Old 05-29-2015, 01:24 AM
SPRINGER